Carbon Fibre Bonnet - Hear me out!

tobycruse

Reaction score
The reason for having a Carbon fibre bonet is quite simple, the weight reduction! I don't want the carbon looks as I'm sure it just wouldn't work!

Any ideas how much it would cost to get a carbon fibre bonnet for an S3 Sportback and then to have it painted Ibis white?

Whats the weight difference? Is the interior getting stripped if you are after weight reduction? Would of thought there is more to lose in there than from the bonnet, doesn't cost anything to do either!

If its just for weight, then why not buy GRP?

No-one but very high end race cars buy Carbon because its less than 10% different to GRP.

My standard bonnet is something like 25Kg, the GRP one is 5Kg.

I would pay £125 to buy one now, as a guide.

Paint is about £300 on top as the wings need blended in too.

If its just for weight, then why not buy GRP?

No-one but very high end race cars buy Carbon because its less than 10% different to GRP.

My standard bonnet is something like 25Kg, the GRP one is 5Kg.

I would pay £125 to buy one now, as a guide.

Paint is about £300 on top as the wings need blended in too.

That's not too bad. For a 20kg saving i would have thought its worth it.

So, next step, where do i go to get a GRP bonnet made?

Why would the wings need doing as well?

I have race suppliers for my stuff, not sure there would be a supplier already of your bonnet.

Check google?

Wings need to be blended as regardless of the skill of the painter as you can never match the paint exactly.

Mate, I would go GRP too.. Thats what im doing, unless its autoclave carbon work then really the difference in weight is pretty minimal as Dave says..

90% of the aftermarket 'carbon' parts available are GRP with a skin of carbon for looks, pretty pointless if you ask me..

You will need to run pins as well though if you want a really light bonnet, run the standard catch too for security reasons

I think about 1k for the mould to be made and the product..

Would try and get the wings too. The weight save would do wonders for a nose heavy car.

That's not too bad. For a 20kg saving i would have thought its worth it.

I lost about 20kg in weight once. That's another option if really want to take this seriously!

I can't say I noticed the car get noticeably quicker though.. LOL