A few things that annoy me with the S3

eugegall

Reaction score
love the car so Far. its great. Love it BUT!!

• Radio. I hate the way it selects the strongest signals. Why cant you just keep the same selected 6 without them going grey.
  • Auto volume. The car thinks its really clever turning itself up and down. i hate this. It always does it at the wrong time. And for some reason when i slow down it then turns up??
  • Boot. Why cant the boot open when i unlock the car. I know it you press it twice it does. But not for me. I have to hit the button about 90 times.. Whats that all about.
Im sure thats all but thats it for now!

thanks

The selective unlock can be switched off, by a dealer or someone with VCD (VAG-COM).

I usually either have the Mrs with me or want to put something in the boot and was cheesed off having to keep doing the double blip to unlock it all. So I re-programmed mine so one blip unlocks all.

Paul

The selective unlock can be switched off, by a dealer or someone with VCD (VAG-COM).

I usually either have the Mrs with me or want to put something in the boot and was cheesed off having to keep doing the double blip to unlock it all. So I re-programmed mine so one blip unlocks all.

Paul

Great news. its in next wednesday sot that i can get some fault with the engine management light.

I will ask them to do it then. Its sooooo annoying.

thanks dude

I'm pretty sure all of the things you hate can be sorted, like Paul says you can get the car to unlock on one touch by altering the settings via VCDS and I'm sure you can stop the volume changing, I don't think mine alters with speed. Someone on here will give you the solutions I have no doubt.

G

To be honest mate there are far far far more annoying things about the A3 and S3 than those!

My latest is the position of the cigarette lighter next to the hand brake. Do they not realise that a lot of people use it for powering sat nav's etc??!! When the adaptor for my sat nav is plugged in i can't even change gear properly or sit with my left arm in a comfortable position. It's an unbelievably short sighted bit of design.

I find the gear change from 1st to 2nd isnt particularly smooth....... although that could be down to my driving skills too.

• Auto volume. The car thinks its really clever turning itself up and down. i hate this. It always does it at the wrong time. And for some reason when i slow down it then turns up??

The amount the volume turns up or down with speed is contolled by the GALA function. Hold down Menu and you will be able to select how much you want it to adjust. I can't quite remember, but I think it is on a scale of 0-6, where 0 is effectively off. I have to say though, in my case I quite like this function and find it works quite well!

You can also make the alarm make a beep sound when locking and unlocking the car... again its activated through VAGCOM.

Tons of stuff can be changed if needed to get rid of some annoyin S3 habits. :icon_thumright:

So the GT-R definately ordered and on its way?? :hubbahubba:

I found those side bars on the centre console really irritating at first.
Dont seem to notice them now.
Still a daft idea though.

The independent boot locking was another gripe but that was sorted by the dealer FOC.

Paul

I still hate the way sometimes you open the window you get a light shower coming off the roof into the car!

Does anyone else get this...
When you pull the passenger seat forward to access the rear seats it slides forward and never returns to it's original position like the drivers seat. Thats annoying!

When you pull the passenger seat forward to access the rear seats it slides forward and never returns to it's original position like the drivers seat. Thats annoying!

Hell Yeah thats my number 4

Hell Yeah thats my number 4

It's ridiculous though. Just fit the same mechanism as the drivers seat!! In the same way that a driver always likes his seat in the same position so do passengers.

Oh and when you slam the boot down, the sun blind often pops up. Could easily be solved with a little flip over catch.
Not a deal breaker but they're niggling little things!!

You have to push the passenger seat back before you tilt it back - I'm pretty sure my driver's seat's the same too?

You have to push the passenger seat back before you tilt it back - I'm pretty sure my driver's seat's the same too?

Correct, when pushing it back, make sure the base slides back first, not the back rest. Its different to all the other cars i've owned! Although not as bad as some Jap cars which always have no memory at all on front seats! Yaris and suzuki swift are well annoying for that!

If you guys are right i'll feel a right tw*t.

Yep that's right, thought mine was faulty at first but i've got the hang of it now!

The greyed out stations on the RNS-E is annoying, anyone know if this can be disabled?

My 1st to 2nd gear change isn't particularly smooth either, Audi have looked into it but say it's normal.

Despite these annoyances, I still love the car.

I think the difficulty is that 2nd is very long compared to first - I tend to rev a little higher in first to help it out

love the car so Far. its great. Love it BUT!!
  • Radio. I hate the way it selects the strongest signals. Why cant you just keep the same selected 6 without them going grey.
  • Boot. Why cant the boot open when i unlock the car. I know it you press it twice it does. But not for me. I have to hit the button about 90 times.. Whats that all about.
Im sure thats all but thats it for now!

thanks

Rns firmware design, personally its a very good idea, no point having list of crap signal stations that when selected are just static, tell yer what I'll give you a nice old 8 track radio unit & you give me your rns-e, lol, that'll keep you happy with the push in buttons for the stations then you can select any static you want :moa:

Auto volume is pretty good overall cause roadnoise at faster speeds does make it slightly more difficult to hear the radio, but this can be adjusted to be less anyway, this is also associated with Bose Audiopilot I believe cause the Bose amp has a mic that listens to the sounds in the car to see if any roadnoise etc then counters with adjustments to the sound outputs from the amp.

AS for boot, well thats why it has the boot button, I mean really are you serious or are you saying holding the boot button doesnt pop the boot or is it just cause you have to hold it for 2 seconds, lol

pedantic boys come on, but then again on flip side, I cant stand the poxy handbrake brake right under the poxy armrest & I'm not alone (my cat also thinks this) actually other members, lol

Some things that annoy me (MY 2009 A3 S-Line):

If I have my front and rear wipers ON, and turn the car off, pull the keys out, the front wiper will go down nevertheless, but the rear wiper will stay in the position where it was when I turned the car off...?!

The position of the cupholders is not good...there isn't anything that could fit in the slot and be able to put your armrest down at the same time...

Oh, and I hate the fact they don't put LED's on the rear licence plate lights! I hate the yellow light, and when I asked at Audi if changing to LED's would affect my warranty, they said "not really, but if anything goes wrong and can be associated with those lights, your warranty will be voided". So probably anything that has to do with electronics, right? :(

My drivers seat never returns to the original position, never mind the passenger seat

Certainly with my passenger seat the horizontal and vertical movements are totally independant, which is possibly more annoying than the problem being described on this thread! I really can not understand why Audi allowed it to remain this way, it is a problem everytime somebody gets into the back (or out again!) - especially as invariably you as the driver end up having to try to function it from the drivers seat due to passengers not knowing what they are doing :eyebrows:

Both the seats should return to the original position when people get in the back. Only problem is you have to ensure the backrest is pulled fully forward to engage the mechanism that allows it to slide back to the original position.

Both mine work but quite often the person getting in doesn't pull the top of the seat all the way forwards ( after all they don't know they have to! ) so the seat ends up in midget or giant position when it slides back.

Stupid design really.

I think the difficulty is that 2nd is very long compared to first - I tend to rev a little higher in first to help it out

I second that one, it makes the change from 1st to 2nd much smoother :thumbsup:

I still hate the way sometimes you open the window you get a light shower coming off the roof into the car!

I went to meet a girl a few months ago, on the way decided to clear the windows (the old wind down then back up trick). Turned a bend while doing this and just covered myself in water. Basically looked like i'd ****** myself. She didn't believe me when i said it was the car "an Audi wouldn't do that you idiot!". Ok fine...
Gave her a lift home, on the way she wound the window down...Guess what happened? Thats right, covered her in water. Had to chuckle to myself.

Terrible design fault though.

i wonder how she felt then.....lol

I went to meet a girl a few months ago, on the way decided to clear the windows (the old wind down then back up trick). Turned a bend while doing this and just covered myself in water. Basically looked like i'd ****** myself. She didn't believe me when i said it was the car "an Audi wouldn't do that you idiot!". Ok fine...
Gave her a lift home, on the way she wound the window down...Guess what happened? Thats right, covered her in water. Had to chuckle to myself.

Terrible design fault though.

Good pub crack though..

"...so, my car makes girls wet...."
:)

Paul

lol its exactly the same with the 8L. You would of thought Audi would learn from their mistakes?

Ah the 'audi shower' you could always rely on that f*cker to p*ss right down the front of my shirt as I was getting out of the car to go into a meeting.

I think the boot did something similar on my TDI 140, usually as you lent in getting it down your back.