Volks AutosAH Fabrications
Results 1 to 13 of 13

Thread: Sat nav query

  1. #1
    S3 AD's Avatar
    1st Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    South east
    Posts
    213

    Sat nav query

    Hi guys,

    I thought I would ask this on here rather than at Audi ( as I am sure Audi would say its not possible or would cost thousands). Poeple on here seem to know more and willing to share the info :-)

    On my Sanav there is a button marked CD/TV, I have no TV function in my car - so the question is can I (or someone that knows more about it)do 'somthing' to it to enable to the TV function so I can stop getting bored in traffic jams??

    The Car is a 57 S3

    Any info will be much appreciated.


    Cheers
    Currently testing Audi's RS3 brake fix......will it work

  2. # ADS
    ADS
    Join Date
    Always
    Location
    Global
    Posts
    Many
     
  3. #2
    jb0o's Avatar
    North East Forum Moderator

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    North East, UK
    Posts
    2,571
    It is possible to fit a TV tuner, and on ebay there are ranges of freeview boxes for as little as 40.

    Someone will no doubt post with more information regarding to price for the tuner, but it is possible.
    Audi A3 2.0TFSI S Line SE DSG

    JMB Retrofits - North East Retrofit Company

  4. #3
    mattfinn's Avatar
    Smoking is good for you

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Derbyshire, land of the free home of the brave.
    Posts
    807
    The TV will also need to be enabled to work in motion, as it is against the law to have it on whilst the car is moving. sssshhhhhh
    8P S3 S-Tronic BE. Stage 2 from Awesome GTi.

    Gone - S4 bi-turbo - forever a place in my heart!


  5. #4
    Staz's Avatar
    is a retronaut

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Bristol (mostly)
    Posts
    6,148
    There are many things that you can use this function for. You can add an AV input (i.e. the red, white and yellow cables) so you can plug anything into it such as a DVD player.

    Another option is the have that AV input connected to an external media HDD. So you have a HDD in your glove box for example loaded with films. You turn it on and press TV and then using the IR remote that comes with the HDD you can control what films or music you watch straight off of the HDD.

    That comes with a small issue of the IR receiver however as you'll most likely want the HDD out of sight but the IR receiver needs to be visable to the remote.

    It's possible to get a different sort of HDD that works with an IMA+ adaptor. This gives control of the HDD to the RNS-e so there's no need for a remote. This is a bit more complex and costs a bit more. If you Youtube IMA+ there's a demo of it on there.

    You can go the TV route too, if you want digital TV on your satnav.

    You should decide which you want to do and then look into it more.

    Whichever you do you'll need to get VIM (Video In Motion) enabled. The satnav is designed to switch off the AV display when you go over a certain speed. There are a couple of ways of getting around it, one which you can do yourself. If you want to get the AV setup installed professionally the VIM can be enabled at the same time for an extra charge.
    8P2 S3

    For advice on Air Con problems please read my FAQs.
    To find ASN members with VCDS check out the MAP.

  6. #5
    S3 AD's Avatar
    1st Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    South east
    Posts
    213
    Thanks for the very useful info

    I think being able to watch films etc is a little OTT for me and I dont want lots of expense so dont think I will worry (yet) about adding a HDD..........the main reson I thought of this was that I was stuck in some silly jams due to flooding on Tuesday night and thought it may relieve a bit of bordem if I could flick through TV channels.

    So for just the TV reception is this somthing a novice could do or should I get asisstance? if so can anyone reccomend a decent company that can do this for me? ideally in the Berks area.

    Cheers
    Currently testing Audi's RS3 brake fix......will it work

  7. #6
    Digzz's Avatar
    "Started From The Bottom"

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    London
    Posts
    1,370
    Quote Originally Posted by staz1000 View Post
    There are many things that you can use this function for. You can add an AV input (i.e. the red, white and yellow cables) so you can plug anything into it such as a DVD player.

    Another option is the have that AV input connected to an external media HDD. So you have a HDD in your glove box for example loaded with films. You turn it on and press TV and then using the IR remote that comes with the HDD you can control what films or music you watch straight off of the HDD.

    That comes with a small issue of the IR receiver however as you'll most likely want the HDD out of sight but the IR receiver needs to be visable to the remote.

    It's possible to get a different sort of HDD that works with an IMA+ adaptor. This gives control of the HDD to the RNS-e so there's no need for a remote. This is a bit more complex and costs a bit more. If you Youtube IMA+ there's a demo of it on there.

    You can go the TV route too, if you want digital TV on your satnav.

    You should decide which you want to do and then look into it more.

    Whichever you do you'll need to get VIM (Video In Motion) enabled. The satnav is designed to switch off the AV display when you go over a certain speed. There are a couple of ways of getting around it, one which you can do yourself. If you want to get the AV setup installed professionally the VIM can be enabled at the same time for an extra charge.

    You Could Also Hook up a Iphone and watch videos from there...Can't you ?

  8. #7
    NHN
    NHN's Avatar
    Modmetractor

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Coding Something
    Posts
    26,747
    Ye with video in feed from any video output unit I'd say.

    OEM RETROFITS - CRUISE CONTROL - SAT NAV - BLUETOOTH - AMI - HEADLIGHT SYSTEMS

    PARKING SYSTEMS - DIAGNOSTICS - FAULT FINDING - BODYWORK - PAINTWORK

  9. #8
    evapor8's Avatar
    2nd Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Guernsey, Channel Islands
    Posts
    463
    Quote Originally Posted by S3 AD View Post
    So for just the TV reception is this somthing a novice could do or should I get asisstance? if so can anyone reccomend a decent company that can do this for me? ideally in the Berks area.

    Cheers
    http://www.vwcruise.com/22.html

    Chris

    P.S. Don't know how far they are from you!

  10. #9
    Staz's Avatar
    is a retronaut

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Bristol (mostly)
    Posts
    6,148
    TV is a nice idea but fairly expensive, especially if it's only for traffic jam use.

    Iphone would work for sure yes.

    I have a C905 which has an AV output and I plan to run the cable along the inside of the centre console so I can plug my phone in right next to me and watch films from it.

    HDD would be great but I wouldn't use it enough to warrant the cost.

    EDIT: Hazzy Dayz are based in London btw but they can travel out for a charge.

    You can also look up an ASN member called s8craig, he has a site too with prices on but I'm in a rush right now. He's based in Manchester anyway.
    Last edited by Staz; 12th February 2009 at 13:09.
    8P2 S3

    For advice on Air Con problems please read my FAQs.
    To find ASN members with VCDS check out the MAP.

  11. #10
    JohnS3's Avatar
    6th Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    3,021
    Quote Originally Posted by staz1000 View Post
    You can also look up an ASN member called s8craig, he has a site too with prices on but I'm in a rush right now. He's based in Manchester anyway.
    http://www.tclsatnav.com/


  12. #11
    S3 AD's Avatar
    1st Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    South east
    Posts
    213
    This is looking a bit more expensive than I thought it would be - although there seems to be a very good I-pod adapter available to that allows you to control the I-pod from the normal in car control including steering wheel and will display album/track info but this has to be combined with a TV reception device and the video inmotion option. Seems like a very cool piece of kit but for 950 all in icluding fitting seems a bit excessive for now but least I know - cheers for the advice!
    Currently testing Audi's RS3 brake fix......will it work

  13. #12
    JohnS3's Avatar
    6th Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    3,021
    The ipod adaptor you mention will only work with the MMI systems in the new A4, Q7 etc as it uses a fibre optic connector. You can't see track names from an ipod on an RNSe unless you use something like a DLO homedock and a Kufatec IMA.


  14. #13
    S3 AD's Avatar
    1st Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    South east
    Posts
    213
    hmmmm - bloke I talked to said it was possible......but it dosnt worry me now as I cant justify the outlay it would need
    Currently testing Audi's RS3 brake fix......will it work

 

 

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO

Garage Plus, Vendor Tools vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO