LED Side lights (Non Xeon Headlight unit)

A2A6

Reaction score
Hi,

Anyone tried these....

http://www.autobulbsdirect.co.uk/501-led-extreme-power-15w-360-degree-c-612-p-1-pr-17114.html

Seem to be ideal in that the light is radiated from around the lamp not from the end of it - perfect for relector mirrors. I want brighter side lights but preferably not with blue glass bulbs as the blue reflects in the reflector mirror when they're off. Same site has some "Xeon" sides but the are blue glass.

Anyone any experiences or ideas.

Paul

yes i brought the same ones a while back but to make them work you have to add a resistor on them, and they do get very very hot, meaning they will melt anything plastic near it, so when i added them on they where perfect apart from the reistior which melted my inside of my headlight so i returned it back, but saying that if you mount the resistor some where safe it should not be a problem

http://www.audi-sport.net/vb/showthread.php?t=58206

Hmm,

Not sure I like the idea of things melting..... thanks for the heads up!

Paul

but saying that you could mount the resistor somewhere in the engine bay and it should be safe, but after the headlight started to melt i simply did not want it anymore

So Khalil, what did you go for in the end?

Paul

i brought some like these off ebay and they work a treat. just plug and play. no need to add any resistors.

look the business as well. give off a nice whitey blue light.

paid £10 for the pair inc p&p about 6months ago and they still working fine.

The resistors that are spec'd are always way overkill.
I fitted resistors to my numberplate lamps, if you find an ohms law calculator you can calculate the resistance.
12v (battery voltage)
5w (bulb load)
=28.8 ohms.
Go to maplin and get a 28 ohm resistor. I used a 45 ohm resistor as the threshold for the warning is normally a lot higher than the bulb load.
It doesn't have to be in series to the bulb either, in parallel across the wiring anywhere will be fine, so it doesn't have to go inside the headlight.

i brought some like these off ebay and they work a treat. just plug and play. no need to add any resistors.

look the business as well. give off a nice whitey blue light.

paid £10 for the pair inc p&p about 6months ago and they still working fine.

You got any pics buddy? I need some new side light bulbs..

Also do you have the link?

Cheers