Problem after driving through flood

Monsoon

Reaction score
Anyone else affected by the floods? On my journey to work this morning I went through a couple of deep-ish patches of water (even turned round at one particular point as three cars had broken down ahead of me and it looked just too deep to risk).

Anyway, a bit later on in the journey I was in "drive", and suddenly all power went (the car is a 2.0FSI automatic - not DSG). It felt just as if I'd shifted the gear stick to neutral because the engine continued to free rev, but no power was being transferred to the wheels. I coasted to the side of the road (even though still in Drive!) and stopped, and whenever I moved the gear stick from neutral to "drive" or reverse, the whole car lurched violently forward or back - it just did not engage into gear cleanly at all.

Stopped the engine, restarted a couple of minutes later and all was fine! I was just wondering if anyone has any suggestions as to what could have been wrong to cause these symptoms? Cheers.

I would suggest that water had got into the electronics. I doubt it got into anywhere mechanical.

Be real careful about driving through water. My mate wrote off his Saab 95 by driving through about 8 inches of water. The air intake is down by the bumper and the engine just hoovered it up. Engine was totalled - car was worth about £7k but replacement was uneconomical. A few weeks later I was at exactly the same spot and it was flooded again. Did a U-turn - not even prepared to risk it.

I'm sure someone on here could enlighten us as to where the air intake is for the various Audi models. I think the Renault Espace is another "under the bumper" job.

Paul

didnt somebody else have a problem with an auto Fsi breaking down after going throught a puddle? IIRC, he replaced a pick up sensor on the flywheel without any luck but after sitting for a week or so it stated fine, guess after drying out completely.

The intake is on the underside of the airbox, so open the bonnet and have look at where it is, normally just behind the headlight.