Starting problem, 2.0Tdi

TVT

Reaction score
Over the last 3 weeks, I've had problems starting my car a few times. I turn the key, and the motor starts like normal, when I rev the engine it dies. I start it again, and it won't ignite as normal. I have to keep cranking the engine for a few seconds, and it will start again, but will die when i push the pedal. After 3-4 tries it is back to normal. The few times this has happened it is cold -4 - -7C, and the car had been standing still a couple of hours after being driven. First thing that hits me is that there is some problem with condense or something, but ive tried condenseremover, with no luck. Does someone have any idea what this can be?

Coolant temperature sensor is a common failure on the 2.0TDi and fairly easy to change. Could also be that your glowplugs are getting old and so not pre-heating as efficiently.

Paul

I'm betting it is the sensor. Just talked to the dealer, they where thinking the same thing. Next time it happens I'll try to get some readouts from vagcom.

:)

I just had the car at the dealers, and they changed the thermostat. However, I havent had issues starting the car for some time before the change or after.

Another issue is that the temp in the dashboard never reach 90C, It stays between 70-85 somewhere, whatever the temperature is outside. The dealer said this was normal...

Iv'e noticed another thing also, which I told the dealer. That when driving the car it seems to shudder slightly between 1600-1900rpms, just before the turbo kicks in, its so light that it feels like uneven small bumps in the road, but for me it ruins a smooth ride. I would think that if I tried to get someone from the dealer to drive the car he wouldnt identify it as motor vibration.

Another thing is that if I hit the accelerator, it will rev but it seems like it stops pulling for a split second(I can feel it, but not see it on the rev.counter), then it wil start pulling again. This is not noticeable at idle, only when accelerating on the higher gears.

Have any of you experienced this with your 2.0tdi?