New A3 2.0TDI-140/170 S-tronic

h5djr

VCDS Map User
Reaction score
My existing A3 is 2 years old and I normally change my car every 2-3 years. At the moment I would love to have a test drive in a facelifted A3 2.0 TDI, with the new common-rail engine, either 140 or 170 or preferably both that has an S-tronic gearbox. Don't really mind which model as I'm already aware of what's on offer.

Non of the dealers in my area seem to have one and Audi Customer Services say they have no way of knowing who has what in the way of demonstrators. A little strange when all the car makes are struggling to sell cars at the moment.

So if anyone comes across one at a dealership near you, perhaps you would be kind engough to let me know. I'm in Cambridgeshire but I have no objection to a drive to wherever the dealer may be, within reason.

Is a 3 hour journey to Poole too far? :faint:

If not I'll ask when I'm next in there sometime this week.

Is a 3 hour journey to Poole too far? :faint:

If not I'll ask when I'm next in there sometime this week.

No not really, especially as I will be going to Weymouth to catch a Condor ferry to Guernsey towards the end of March. As the return ferry does not get back to Weymouth until nearly midnight I will be staying overnight in Weymouth. Could easily pop along to Poole before returning home.

Just got back from Audi. Spoke to a Phillip Crane who said they have both 140 & 170 versions of the S-tronic that you can test drive...

Tel: 01202 775050

Thanks very much for that. I'll give him a ring before I go down that way in March and see what I can arrange.

No problem.. hope you enjoy them.

As you have been an S-tronic owner for some time, how do you find the low gear changes? Do you feel a jolt going from 1st to 2nd and experience engine braking when you brake?

I've got to go back to the Audi garage sometime during the week to get my car looked at, as they can't do it at weekends, but it would be good to know if the change is supposed to be smooth, so that I'm not fobbed off by them.

As far I'm concerned all the changes on my DSG are smooth. No jolting or un-necessary sharp engine braking. I usually use the D mode do the 1st to 2nd change as it happens so quickly and it's very smooth. I often let the D handle the 2-3 and then move to 'manual' for all changes after that.

As far as slowing down for a sharp corner or roundabout are concerned I usually change down from 5 to 6 using the paddles and sometimes to 4th or 3rd but if i need to stop or slow down to near stop I leave it in manual but the DSG changes down as necessary. No jolts etc with any of these changes.

On the odd occasion when I drive my wife's manual Polo the only thing I usually forget is that a manual gearbox does not automatically change to 1st when you stop. A 1.4 Polo is not over keen at puling away from standstill in 3rd!!

Thanks for the useful info Dave... I can imagine going back to manual could be hard work!

DSG was a god send when I was in a solid traffic jam for 1 hour last week caused by the snow :sm4:

You don't want to go there mate .... nasty place :thumbsup:

Chris

Probably not the best place with a car!!

But I am take my A3 to Germany and Austria later in the year.