JMB RetrofitsBadger5
Results 1 to 10 of 10
  1. #1
    jb0o's Avatar
    North East Forum Moderator

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    North East, UK
    Posts
    2,608

    Help choosing my A3....

    Hi all,

    I'm looking at buying an A3, budget is around Ł8-9k.

    I know that I want an A3 with:
    Diesel Engine (pref 2.0TDI)
    3 Door
    Sport Model

    But I also want a model preferably after Sept 05, with the new style steering wheel. I'm also craving some sort of leather in the seats.

    Looking on Autotrader, in my budget I can get:

    2004 2.0TDI, 40k miles, leather seats - Ł8.5k
    or
    2006 2.0TDI, cloth trim, new style steering wheel, 75k miles - Ł8.5k

    After all of that my question winds down to this:
    What would you prefer, the older more up to date model with higher milage, or the older, more spec'd model with lower milage.

    I've never had a diesel before, but I've heard that they are a lot more reliable than petrol engines and can easily be seen past 100k. I've ever heard that they're ran in until 60k miles?

    Thanks for any input,
    Jonny.

  2. # ADS
    ADS
    Join Date
    Always
    Location
    Global
    Posts
    Many
     
  3. #2
    Tommy's Avatar
    Makinen...ha

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Sheffield
    Posts
    443
    i know its a newer car, but for the sake of a "newer plate" and a steerin wheel, your missin out on leather seats, lower milage

  4. #3
    jb0o's Avatar
    North East Forum Moderator

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    North East, UK
    Posts
    2,608
    Yeah, and thats whats dragging me to the 2004 model, as I think I would appreciate leather seats more than a >2005 steering wheel.

  5. #4
    chill14's Avatar
    Newbie

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Staffordshire
    Posts
    79
    If you after the leather, and lower mileage then I would go with the 2004 model.

    I'm pretty sure the steering wheel could be changed and have a later version one retrofitted if you really wanted it.

    I have seen enough threads about changing steering wheels on here.

    Diesels are pretty reliable. No spark plugs or leads etc to fail while running. Plus you will get a better fuel economy. You will probably get mid to high 40's to the gallon easy, depending on your driving style. I get 45- 48 mpg, doing 3 miles stuck in traffic, 19 miles on motorway each day, to and from work. Mines done 43,500 miles.
    Dave

    Audi A3 2.0 TDI Sport (140) 3dr 2005 (05)

  6. #5
    Ash B's Avatar
    6th Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Cardiff
    Posts
    5,806
    I'd go for the lower miles to be honest mate the 2004. You can always upgrade the steering wheel from any thing from Ł150-Ł500 depending on what style steering wheel you want.
    I know its a new plate but for me i'd want the one with lower miles. When i got my new car was either black 2007 57 plate 28,000 was extra Ł2k so Ł15k or akoya silver56 plate 21,500 just under Ł13k And when my cars get around 53,000 miles i want to change which i've down three times since passing last january and its starting to take the p*ss about lol. But really if you like the newer one more go for it just try and get the price down a bit

    Ashley
    Dark Vader Half sibling - MyThread

  7. #6
    jb0o's Avatar
    North East Forum Moderator

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    North East, UK
    Posts
    2,608
    Quote Originally Posted by chill14 View Post
    If you after the leather, and lower mileage then I would go with the 2004 model.

    I'm pretty sure the steering wheel could be changed and have a later version one retrofitted if you really wanted it.

    I have seen enough threads about changing steering wheels on here.

    Diesels are pretty reliable. No spark plugs or leads etc to fail while running. Plus you will get a better fuel economy. You will probably get mid to high 40's to the gallon easy, depending on your driving style. I get 45- 48 mpg, doing 3 miles stuck in traffic, 19 miles on motorway each day, to and from work. Mines done 43,500 miles.
    Yeah, I think that will be the best option. I'd also feel more comfortable getting the car with less milage.

    It would also be a lot cheaper and easy to retrofit a steering wheel than leather seats, lol.

  8. #7
    jb0o's Avatar
    North East Forum Moderator

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    North East, UK
    Posts
    2,608
    Yeah, thanks everyone. I think I will go for the model with the lesser milage. Less to worry about I hope.

    Would it be a big problem if I didn't buy from Audi direct? I want to buy from a dealer, but Audi have nothing at all in for my budget.

  9. #8
    Ash B's Avatar
    6th Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Cardiff
    Posts
    5,806
    No probably be no problem. Have you tried getting audi down at all my first a3 they wanted Ł11k for it in the end i got it for Ł8,750 with four new tyres all around and other stuff.

    Quote Originally Posted by jb0o View Post
    Yeah, thanks everyone. I think I will go for the model with the lesser milage. Less to worry about I hope.

    Would it be a big problem if I didn't buy from Audi direct? I want to buy from a dealer, but Audi have nothing at all in for my budget.
    Dark Vader Half sibling - MyThread

  10. #9
    jb0o's Avatar
    North East Forum Moderator

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    North East, UK
    Posts
    2,608
    Quote Originally Posted by benskin07 View Post
    No probably be no problem. Have you tried getting audi down at all my first a3 they wanted Ł11k for it in the end i got it for Ł8,750 with four new tyres all around and other stuff.
    Wow, not bad lol. I'm also feeling that being in recession, they'll be begging me to take one.

    I'll take a look on Audi now and see what there is thanks for the info.

  11. #10
    jb0o's Avatar
    North East Forum Moderator

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    North East, UK
    Posts
    2,608
    Not much on there at the minute, only a 2004 in Silver with Red leather interior, Ł10,500.

 

 

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO

Garage Plus, Vendor Tools vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO