Help choosing my A3....

jb0o

Reaction score
Website
jonathan-butler.co.uk
Hi all,

I'm looking at buying an A3, budget is around £8-9k.

I know that I want an A3 with:
Diesel Engine (pref 2.0TDI)
3 Door
Sport Model

But I also want a model preferably after Sept 05, with the new style steering wheel. I'm also craving some sort of leather in the seats.

Looking on Autotrader, in my budget I can get:

2004 2.0TDI, 40k miles, leather seats - £8.5k
or
2006 2.0TDI, cloth trim, new style steering wheel, 75k miles - £8.5k

After all of that my question winds down to this:
What would you prefer, the older more up to date model with higher milage, or the older, more spec'd model with lower milage.

I've never had a diesel before, but I've heard that they are a lot more reliable than petrol engines and can easily be seen past 100k. I've ever heard that they're ran in until 60k miles?

Thanks for any input,
Jonny.

i know its a newer car, but for the sake of a "newer plate" and a steerin wheel, your missin out on leather seats, lower milage

If you after the leather, and lower mileage then I would go with the 2004 model.

I'm pretty sure the steering wheel could be changed and have a later version one retrofitted if you really wanted it.

I have seen enough threads about changing steering wheels on here.

Diesels are pretty reliable. No spark plugs or leads etc to fail while running. Plus you will get a better fuel economy. You will probably get mid to high 40's to the gallon easy, depending on your driving style. I get 45- 48 mpg, doing 3 miles stuck in traffic, 19 miles on motorway each day, to and from work. Mines done 43,500 miles.

I'd go for the lower miles to be honest mate the 2004. You can always upgrade the steering wheel from any thing from £150-£500 depending on what style steering wheel you want.
I know its a new plate but for me i'd want the one with lower miles. When i got my new car was either black 2007 57 plate 28,000 was extra £2k so £15k or akoya silver56 plate 21,500 just under £13k And when my cars get around 53,000 miles i want to change which i've down three times since passing last january and its starting to take the p*ss about lol. But really if you like the newer one more go for it just try and get the price down a bit

Ashley

If you after the leather, and lower mileage then I would go with the 2004 model.

I'm pretty sure the steering wheel could be changed and have a later version one retrofitted if you really wanted it.

I have seen enough threads about changing steering wheels on here.

Diesels are pretty reliable. No spark plugs or leads etc to fail while running. Plus you will get a better fuel economy. You will probably get mid to high 40's to the gallon easy, depending on your driving style. I get 45- 48 mpg, doing 3 miles stuck in traffic, 19 miles on motorway each day, to and from work. Mines done 43,500 miles.

Yeah, I think that will be the best option. I'd also feel more comfortable getting the car with less milage.

It would also be a lot cheaper and easy to retrofit a steering wheel than leather seats, lol.

Yeah, thanks everyone. I think I will go for the model with the lesser milage. Less to worry about I hope.

Would it be a big problem if I didn't buy from Audi direct? I want to buy from a dealer, but Audi have nothing at all in for my budget.

No probably be no problem. Have you tried getting audi down at all my first a3 they wanted £11k for it in the end i got it for £8,750 with four new tyres all around :) and other stuff.

Yeah, thanks everyone. I think I will go for the model with the lesser milage. Less to worry about I hope.

Would it be a big problem if I didn't buy from Audi direct? I want to buy from a dealer, but Audi have nothing at all in for my budget.

No probably be no problem. Have you tried getting audi down at all my first a3 they wanted £11k for it in the end i got it for £8,750 with four new tyres all around :) and other stuff.

Wow, not bad lol. I'm also feeling that being in recession, they'll be begging me to take one.

I'll take a look on Audi now and see what there is :) thanks for the info.