Badger5Volks Autos
    Neutral

Status

Changing from Drive to Neutral when moving

Hi

I discovered by accident the other day that it's possible to change from Drive to Neutral on my DSG without having to press the button in on the gear stick.... I guess Audi allowed this for convenience.

Anyway, braking to a stop is far from smooth for me as the DSG likes to go down thru the gears when braking to a stop, causing pretty excessive engine braking.

Say I have some red traffic lights ahead and I'm going to stop, would it be ok to stick it in neutral when braking to a stop? And how about then sticking it back into D if I didn't have to completely stop? Is this ok or will it freak the DSG metronics out?

Thanks
    Last edited by MrTea; 2nd February 2009 at 13:27.
    2005 A3 2.0 TDI SE DSG, 3 Door, Phantom Black (aka The Scratch Magnet)

2. # ADS
    ADS

R8GGA

Status
    Is your car quattro?

I used to do this all the time; but I do remember being told that 'coasting' is bad for cars with 4WD because of something to do with the way they're connected to the transmission. Needless to say; it was all way above my head and I don't remember exactly what was said, but it came up as someone was explaining to me that you shouldn't tow a 4x4; and that when one breaks down an AA van will always put it on a trailer...

So basically, I don't know, but it's not a stupid question and I'm looking forward to finding out!
    awesome cars; both gone now though
    2004 Audi A3 3.2 Quattro S-Line DSG inAvus Silver, RNS-E Sat Nav, GSM, 18" RS4's, Bose, Tints
    2008 S3 3Dr, GIAC HAMMER, Phantom Black, RNS-E Sat Nav, GSM, FBMFSW, Optics, Privacy, Ipod, Rear Sensors, Armrest
    Weekend / Summer:
    2002 Ferrari 360 Modena, Nurburgring Silver, Bordeaux leather
    2006 BMW M6

Neutral

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by magnus911 View Post
    Is your car quattro?
    Hi, no it's 2wd; had some fun with it in the snow today!

I wouldn't have thought coasting would be bad for the DSG but would like to make sure first...
    Last edited by MrTea; 2nd February 2009 at 13:32.

Neutral

Status
    It won't do the car any harm, but it is a bad driving habit.

You should always have a gear selected when the vehicle is moving to give extra control and stability.
    Now - A3 2.0 TDI SE S-Tronic & A1 2.0 TDI Sport

My BM is fixed!

Status
    All autos will move from D to N and back as long as the car is moving without pressing the button, mine will not however moved from N to D unless it is moving above 5mph or my foot is on the brake.

If your DSG is slamming back down through the gears maybe you should get it looked at.
    Chris

The problem with common sense, is that its not that common.

See my images @
    http://www.christianfrench.co.uk

Own a dreaded BMW? http://www.bmw-sport.net

6th Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by A4Quattro View Post
    If your DSG is slamming back down through the gears maybe you should get it looked at.
    My DSG used to change down the gears in a jerky/rough manner, if I had it in 'manual' (cough..) mode.
    That was whether you were doing the changing down yourself, with the paddles or lever, or just letting the car do it.
    I stress, this was only when in 'manual' mode.

People have different definitions of 'rough', of course, but in my case I felt it was like a clutch-driver suddenly letting the clutch out after changing down, rather than doing it smoothly.
    So the car would jerk a bit, with the revs taking time to catch up.
    In snow, this downchange 'jerk' was often enough to lock the wheels momentarily.
    The only way to avoid this was to use 'D', which meant you coasted to a halt smoothly.
    But, no engine braking.
    So, one way or another, snow driving was a right messy affair.
    But, that goes for all autos.

I also found it annoyingly easy to knock the car into neutral.
    I would, on occasion, forget I was in 'D' and nudge the lever forward, thinking I was changing up in 'manual' mode.
    This would whack the car into neutral, no drive and the engine screaming.
    My fault, no argument there, but it still shouldn't be that easy to knock into neutral.
    '02 to '05 - Black Audi A4 1.9tdi sport
    '05 to '08 - Akoya Silver A3 sportback S-line DSG
    '08 to ? - Black Alpina D3

Neutral

Status
    I'll take it down to my local Audi dealership. I think I'd just need someone there to ride in it with me for a few mins to see if there's a problem or it's just 'by design'.

Do you think they'd charge me just to do this? I have a warranty with the independent dealer that I bought the car from so they should take care of the repairs should it need any.

It had a 565 service back in Sept by a different Audi dealer before I bought it, inc trans fluid change, but I guess they don't check the ride.
    Last edited by MrTea; 2nd February 2009 at 19:32.

Quote Originally Posted by bowfer View Post
    I also found it annoyingly easy to knock the car into neutral.
    I would, on occasion, forget I was in 'D' and nudge the lever forward, thinking I was changing up in 'manual' mode.
    This would whack the car into neutral, no drive and the engine screaming.
    My fault, no argument there, but it still shouldn't be that easy to knock into neutral.
    As I drive with mine in 'tip-tronic' mode 95% of the time, I have occasionly done the same thing when I have forgot to move the lever across to the 'tip-tronic' slot. Perhaps it would be better if you had to press-in the button on the lever to go from D to N.
    Dave R (h5djr)
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    A3 8V 2.0 TDI-184 Sportback Sport s-tronic quattro - Silver + lots of options - my 9th A3

My BM is fixed!

Status
    That's one thing I don't like about Audi tiptronic, the selector lever is back to front. In my mind a pull back on the lever is the up-change not a push forward.
    I suppose it comes from changing from 1st to 2nd is the first shift you make and that's always a pull back (on about 99.9% of cars anyway).
    Pushing the shifter forwards to change up just doesn't feel right.
    Audi IMO have got it arse about face, BMW and even Ford put it the other way.
    Chris

See my images @

Thomas

Status

:)

Quote Originally Posted by h5djr View Post
    As I drive with mine in 'tip-tronic' mode 95% of the time, I have occasionly done the same thing when I have forgot to move the lever across to the 'tip-tronic' slot. Perhaps it would be better if you had to press-in the button on the lever to go from D to N.
    Gents

This button is ONLY to prevent driver to put by mistake, lever to R positon while driving foward - this is not connected to any sensors,potrs etc.
    Test it - you can move lever to S,D,N without touching button,but you can not go to R or P ( Parking - locking gearbox ) without pressing it

I wouldn't recommended to change from D to N while driving - can damange your G.box

Regards

Quote Originally Posted by A4Quattro View Post
    That's one thing I don't like about Audi tiptronic, the selector lever is back to front. In my mind a pull back on the lever is the up-change not a push forward.
    I suppose it comes from changing from 1st to 2nd is the first shift you make and that's always a pull back (on about 99.9% of cars anyway).
    Pushing the shifter forwards to change up just doesn't feel right.
    Audi IMO have got it arse about face, BMW and even Ford put it the other way.
    I have been driving with a DSG gearbox for the last 4+ years but I drove with a manual gearbox for 40 years prior to that and I must say the way Audi have the DSG set-up seems quite natural to me. Forward to change Up and Back to change down. Having said that, I use the steering wheel paddles far more than the centre lever.
    Dave R (h5djr)
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    A3 8V 2.0 TDI-184 Sportback Sport s-tronic quattro - Silver + lots of options - my 9th A3

6th Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by h5djr View Post
    I have been driving with a DSG gearbox for the last 4+ years but I drove with a manual gearbox for 40 years prior to that and I must say the way Audi have the DSG set-up seems quite natural to me. Forward to change Up and Back to change down.
    I reckon you're in the minority here, David.
    Anyone of the 'playstation generation', or anyone interested in sequential gearboxes in rallying or touring cars wishes it was the other way around.

Quote Originally Posted by bowfer View Post
    I reckon you're in the minority here, David.
    Anyone of the 'playstation generation', or anyone interested in sequential gearboxes in rallying or touring cars wishes it was the other way around.
    I'm sure I'm in the minority for quite a lot of things with my A3. It's an SE rather than a Sport. It's Silver rather than Black. It's has a Light Grey interior rather than Black. It's nice not to follow the crowd!! Perhaps it's because I'm not a member of the 'playstation generation'
    Dave R (h5djr)

6th Gear

Status
    Yup, David, a silver A3 makes you a veritable trailblazer.
    Just jesting, no offence.

My BM is fixed!

Status
    Back is best! lol
    Chris

See my images @

R8GGA

Status
    Does anyone have any comment to what i said in post #2 above?
    I'm interested to know now and I'm sure I didn't imagine someone telling me about it? I wish I could remember exactly what they said though...

Basically is it true you can't tow a 4x4 and if so, why not, and also would coasting in one do the same damage as towing?
    2004 Audi A3 3.2 Quattro S-Line DSG inAvus Silver, RNS-E Sat Nav, GSM, 18" RS4's, Bose, Tints
    2008 S3 3Dr, GIAC HAMMER, Phantom Black, RNS-E Sat Nav, GSM, FBMFSW, Optics, Privacy, Ipod, Rear Sensors, Armrest
    Weekend / Summer:
    2006 BMW M6

6th Gear

Status
    Audi allegedly only specify flatbed pick up for quattro, including Haldex.
    According to Haldex's own website, towing is ok with one axle off the ground.
    This is (allegedly) a screenshot from Haldex website.

R8GGA

Status
    Thanks Bowfer; so my point is; why can't you tow it with both axles on the ground? Also, is coasting along not having a similar effect to towing it with both axles on the ground?
    Weekend / Summer:
    2006 BMW M6