Fuel cut off problem...

hatmeow

Turbo is the only way....
Reaction score
Guys,

I have been experiencing a problem lately and would like to see if you can shed some light on this.

Sometimes when traveling at above 120kmh - 140kmh at about 3500 rpm (approx) the car refuses to go further and just seems to hit a celing on the throttle. when I back down on the throttle, the throttle resumes its function but still refuses to go higher than approx 3500rpm.

This does not happen regularly. My garage has checked the car with VAGCOM and I was told that the fuel pressure is low. I have changed the fuel filter but the problem has recurred.

Some friends tell me that its the REVO remap that is doing this. What do you guys think? What other problems could have caused this?

Have you upgraded your HPFP?

If not then I think it is very likely that your standard HPFP is struggling to keep up with the demands of the stage 2 remap. Even on a stage 2 remap with a CAI and turbo back exhaust the standard HPFP will struggle.

To get round it you could pull back your timing and boost settings a little or spend a little more $$$ and get an uprated HPFP.

your standard HPFP is struggling

To get round it you could pull back your timing and boost settings a little or spend a little more $$$ and get an uprated HPFP.

??

need a little more...

As KRL says, reduce the requirments on the engine and thus reduce the amount of fuel require hence over coming the issue.

Or of course upgrade the pump.

Thanks guys. So the HPFP is the FSI fuel pump that is in the engine bay? I cant afford an APR unit so I guess I will have to go for the cheap upgrade.

I have also heard from a GTI owner that he has experienced the same thing and its a "cam lobe" problem.... Do you guys know what that means?

Thanks!

there is a lobe on the cam that is used by the fuel pump to create the pumping motion. It has been known to wear along with the plunger it connects to on the fuel pump.

I have only done 22,000kms on my A3... Is this normal?

What year is this motor. The cam lobe problem was addressed, can can still occur.

The cam lobe wear problem occurs when the hpfp cam follower wears through. There is loads of info about this on vwvortex:
http://forums.vwvortex.com/zerothread?id=3750088

That link will also show you to check your cam follower and cam for wear.

Ref the HPFP pump - this stands for High Pressure Fuel Pump and it is the driven by the cam.

How often have you been changing your oil and what kind of oil have you been using?

I think VF makes an uprated one with a slightly larger diameter. How can you tell if it "wears though"? From the pics I only see light scratches on the surface and the guy described it as "in bad shape"

Once the black coating has worn off the Cam Follower it is time to replace it. The black coating offers most of the protection and once worn off the metal will take the beating from the cam causing it to wear down far more quickly.

They are a cheap part to replace - about £20.