Hello and Info Request Re 3.2's

Silky-S3

Is loving his new 8V S3!
Reaction score
Hi guys,

I’m new to the board but have been reading all the great threads for around a month now. I’m currently in the market for 2006 onwards S-Line 3.2 DSG A3 but I’m really struggling to find a decent one at the moment! If anyone knows of any good one available give me a shout. I’ve got a budget of around £13,000 so that should be enough to get a good one I think? I’ve see a few really nice 3.2s whiles browsing on the forum (especially a nice red one, marc’s I think?) which is just wetting my appetite to get one bought!

Anyway, I got a few questions I hope you guys can help me with…

What’s the MPG like on the 3.2? I suspect it around 20mpg, am I in the right ballpark?

I’ve see a few 3.2 but not many with the MFSW, can these be retrofitted easily?

Vagcom sounds like a fantastic tool, anyone know of a starter guide that I can read to get my head round it all?

Also, what options do you think I should really push for? I’m thinking xenon’s and full black leather? Anything else, the large sunroof sounds good?

Cheers guys, and no dought I’ll be posting lots of questions over the next few months once I find one!

Matt:sm4:

Hi,

I,ve had mine 18 months now and averaged 27.4mpg. You can get 32ish on a run and then go quite low when round town 25ish and when making progress very low 20's and maybe bob into the 10's. So not as bad as i was thinking really.

I would go for it!! Sound lovely and pretty effortless to drive.

Cheers,

p.s there is a fair bit of info about retro fitting mfsw if you do a search.

i've been running mine for about 24hrs driving now, over the last 700 miles or so i've averaged ~30 mph (with blasts @ 70 and lots of crawling at <20mph)

So far i've averaged 25MPG so not too bad all in all :)

Mines pretty much base spec sport but i'm not too bothered, got it very cheap in very good condition so v-please!

Thanks guys, that is nowhere near as bad as I thought it would be :icon_thumright:. I'll have a search round for the MFSW threads.

Just to balance it out, in the 18 months I owned mine, I averaged 18mpg!!. The best I ever got was 30mpg sat on the motorway at 70 and on the daily commute home it was usually around 13mpg.

Still a great car though and I do miss mine.

I retrofitted the mfsw and it was a straight swap with a bit of coding. I also retrofitted the DVD sat nav (from a single din) and had the cruise control done by the dealer when I bought it

Also bear in mind the later 2006 models will be in the higher tax band!

Marc Q is the 3.2 retrofit oracle.

BTW, how much are 06 3.2s changing hands for?

They seem to going for between £11,500 up to £14,500. So hopefully with £13,000 I should be able to get a decent one? That is if i can find one!

I'm looking on Autotrader, eBay, PistonHeads and Audi's used car loactor! Anywhere else I should be looking??

Cheers guys :)

Hi guys,

Can someone explain the different radio/audio set-ups that can come on the 3.2 A3's?

In order of worst to best is it:

Concert
Symphony
Bose
Sat Nav

Also, why does some A3's have the hazard light switch/ESP switch below the radio and not above? I notice that some HUs have cassette slots! That a bit old hat is it not?

Which is the best system to go for if I want to upgrade to sat nav at a later date? Is bose worth paying extra for?

Thanks guys!
Matt :music:

Pretty sure it goes in this order best to worst:

Sat Nav
Symphony
Concert

Bose is just the speakers which I believe can be used in conjunction with any of the above. Symphony generally has 6CD changer/cassette and concert is single CD.

MF - just to let you know - you can pick them up for less than that.

I picked mine up 04 plate (so not facelift :( but cheaper tax :) about 4 months ago - for just over £8k.

Its Avus silver, with 60k, FASH, and has pretty much all options except rain wipers and auto lights.

Its also got the DSG - which takes some getting used to - but is an amazing box.

I came from a Golf VR6 - so wanted to stick with the VR engine.

You have to think that this car is pretty much a Mk5 R32 - just is a more subtle body shell.

I average just under 30mpg on my commute - and managed to get very good insurance with an Admiral multicar policy

RNS-E is what you want - but will be hard to find, and also not worth walking away from a bargain because it doesnt have it.

Good luck