How Much Has This Recession Depreciated Your A3/S3 ?

kaz219

Reaction score
Hi guys

Prices are dropping quite steeply nowadays with this recession and what not...

Only had my A3 7 months and you can get the equivalent for around a grand/1500 cheaper and i got mine cheap at the time...I think they were going for £12k and i got mine for £11k...It was the cheapest S-Line spec with 60k on it..all the rest were high mileage or cat D's !

So, What have you guys lost in depreciation?

Hate to hear what you owners from new or long term owners have lost?

Cheers

Got mine Jan 2008 and paid £17500 which was cheap at the time ... 22k on the clock. Got offered £10,500 for it last weekend with at total of 36k on the clock. Ouch !!

Probably a small fortune.
Exactly why I never track used prices, it will only make me miserable and there is nothing I can do about it.:blownose:

The currrent climate will probably just make me keep the car longer than normal.
Which is no bad thing.

cheers
Paul

Not too sure. But anything you are trading in for will probably have come down too (as long as you go 2nd hand) so its all relative?

Probably a small fortune.
Exactly why I never track used prices, it will only make me miserable and there is nothing I can do about it.:blownose:

The currrent climate will probably just make me keep the car longer than normal.
Which is no bad thing.

cheers
Paul

I agree with Paul. I choose the car I want and don't worry too much about it's value in 3 years time. Generally Audi prices hold up better than a lot of others. The main loosers are people who change there cars too often. In the past I've always worked on the basis that my Audi will be worth around 50% of the purchase price after 3 years.

Well the recession actually bought the A3 into my price range, so i'm happy!

What I was not happy about was loosing over 2k in less than a year on my previous car!

But its all relative and there is nout anyone can do about it.

A!

My 2.0 TDi Sport (140) costed me £9,950 back in Julywith 51k miles, but can't seem to find many around the same year and mileage as mine when I bought it. But I've found quite a few that are newer and have less mileage around that price! :( Although, most of the ones I found on Autotrader are independant garages.

The main loosers are people who change there cars too often.

This is usually me, but not this time around for obvious reasons.

Therefore the credit crunch h has saved me money....I think:think:

Anyway I dont consider being `stuck` with an A3 such a burden.

cheers
Paul

Most Audi dealers are still in dreamland with their secondhand cars, I had been looking at getting a 2.0.T quattro S line and they seem to be in short supply,so I decided to look at another S3 (have a car to p/ex so private buy is out).
Cheapest I have seen is around £19,000 but most are £22,000 with up to 15,000 miles and a year old at least.
All the dealers I rang either didnt get back to me or offered me a crap p/ex price for mine even though theirs are well overpriced so in the end I have just purchased a facelift S3 with 6000miles(five months old) on it for just under £23,000 and a fairly good spec (just over £30,000 to buy new) and should pick it up on Saturday.
So hopefully even if it loses some of its value as its a facelift with a reasonable spec it should be a better option than some of the older S3 on offer and its already taken its first big hit depreciation wise
So I suppose what I am trying to say is although all of our cars are dropping in prices the dealers are still asking silly prices for theirs hence the big shortfall in p/x prices and it will change or the dealers will be out of business.

I don't want to know what mine is worth.

My mechanic mate recons that my wifes 7 year old MX-5 sport with 40K on the clock is probably only worth about 2.5-3K at the moment. His late 05 Megane 225 with cup chasis only 5.5K.

But on the bright side it is a good time to buy anything that costs a fortune to run and drinks high octaine petrol like it is going out of fashion. Ferrari anyone ?

Paul

Thats one thing thats a bit of ******. I was planning on changing my car in a year or so for something different but now with things the way they are I'm more inclined to stick with it till the end of the lease as theres a good chance I'll end up in negative equity if I change it early.

To be honest this Recession has brought a higher spec a3 than I was after into my price range. I originally was going to go with a 140tdi but now there's quite a few 170 around at a similar price which I'm defiantly happy with.

And am I right in thinking that when the 09 reg comes out prices will drop again?
When does 09 reg come out?

by my maths, in the time it has taken me to write this post, my S3 is worth £2.73 less than when I started the post.

Got my car in March 07 for 34K... I've lost about 12k on it probs more.... Recession is EVIL!
But can safely say that will the first and last time i buy a new car from showroom... EVER.

My Boss has just picked up a 55 plate Bentley Continental GT with 65k on it for £38k.

he has a receipt from exactly 3 years ago for £107k! :scared2:

My Boss has just picked up a 55 plate Bentley Continental GT with 65k on it for £38k.

he has a receipt from exactly 3 years ago for £107k! :scared2:

I feel abit better now after hearing that one. :happy:

I bought my 57 plate S3 at 4months old for 25K, estimate it was around 29K new assuming a bit of discount.
And I reckon Ive still taken a 5k hit in just less than a year which is a bit of a shocker.
Buy hey, at least I have it to enjoy, ....every cloud etc........

New March 08 - all mod cons - 34k

Now, prolly tuppence,

Now go ask someone who gives a flying f*ck :)

Oh wait, that came a across a bit like I give a f*ck, but i dont .. honest!!!! :keule:

feccccccccckkkkkk meeeeeee thats alot

arghh....****** recession!!

Everyone has lost a bomb but as mentioned below on the good side, at least we'll be able to get the faster cars cheaper - R32s just in my reach - but insurance is still sky high - any chances of that dropping wiht this recession ??? lol

But Siu00adg - **** me - a grand a month - but bet it was worth every penny to get behind an S3 :p

yeah good for us wanting S3, but I want an S3 SB which are gonna be sky high still, as I say got nothing but time baby nothing but time

sorry to those losing so much, but its only really relevant if you need/intend to sell, as David Bowie says I dont give a feck anyway as no rush to sell & mines a derv so better value resale than a petrol to a degree IMHO & to buy a new car from showroom you'd have to be a real mug tbh, sorry if you have, but dont you see them warming there hands together when you open the door & your wallet & start unbuttoning there pants to stuff you in the butt, cause thats how it must feel now, excuse my bluntness but L60N set the precident here, lol

I've never bought new, never will, not cause I'm cheap just little savvy, always nearly new or so & every single VAG car I've bought 2nd user has been ****** good, but of course hell of alot cheaper, as much as I maybe want an S3 again, I wouldnt hand over 30+k for a new one even if I may be able to afford it, no way, especially when they're now even down to 16k in places even if 30-40k or so on clock for 06-07, still under warranty, still good mileage, had my S3 8L for 7 years so if that good I'll have 8P for 7 aswell(knowing me less, lol)

New March 08 - all mod cons - 34k

Now, prolly tuppence,

Now go ask someone who gives a flying f*ck :)

Oh wait, that came a across a bit like I give a f*ck, but i dont .. honest!!!! :keule:

Should have bought a Cayman:scared2:

Mine was list price of £27k, got a great discount and paid £24k. That was in oct 2007. So, after only 15months and 21k miles, spoke informally to the dealer and he reckoned around £14k for a trade in which is frightening! I was planning on selling it for around that figure after 2.5 - 3years!! :wtf: :sob:

Yeah then they go & sell it for 20k, feckers

Looking at similar cars to mine on autotrader.co.uk it's worth about 21-22k. That's not too bad as I paid 24k in April. BUT if I had paid tax it would have been £31,300, and I would be crying right now!

As my mate pointed out though, the Autotrader price is what the seller wants for the car, not what people are currently paying or having to accept.

Paul

As my mate pointed out though, the Autotrader price is what the seller wants for the car, not what people are currently paying or having to accept.

Paul

Yes I know, I'm just using it as a guide.