New A3 prices

daveyjp

Reaction score
Are Audi losing the plot with the A3?

I've just priced up the equivalent of my car on the latest configurator and it's coming in at close to £25,000 OTR.

2 years ago the list price for a Sportback 2.0TDI 170 DSG SE was less than £21,000. I don't know if this takes into account next month's price increases, but almost 20% over 2 years is one hell of an increase.

I think they expect you to ask for 20% off!

only a fool pays list on anything these days.

Could be to do with the current weakness of Sterling v's the Euro

Uh no, its to do with the word Lunacy, these VAG guys need to get with the economic program, I wouldnt even think about paying that at moment for cars, ridiculous pricing even before

That's strange because yesterday I priced up a new A3 2.0TDI-170 SE DSG with all the same options as my existing car and it would now cost me only 72p more.

In March 2007 I paid £22,742.98 less trade-in for my car.

The price today using the latest January 2009 price list with VAT at 15% would be £22743.70.

The only difference in spec would is Xenon headlights. You can now longer get an SE with normal xenon headlights so I have deducted the cost of these (£675) from the price of my existing car. If I wanted Xenons on the new car I would have to have the adaptive xenon headlights which would cost me £980.

So assuming I spec the car with Xenons I would actually have to pay £305.72 more unless I could get better than the 9% discount I got on my existing one and I would have adaptive rather than normal xenon headlights for the extra money.

Same options, but is it the same? Does your new A3 spec which cost 72p more include:

17 inch wheels upgrade, cruise control, dual auto climate control, interior light pack, alternative trim?

All the above were included in the basic spec of my A3 SE - they all now have to be paid for which is where the £25k came from.

Yes all the same spec including...

SE trim, S-tronic, metallic paint, 17" 16-spoke alloys, Concert CD/radio, iPod connection, electric driver seat controls, lumbar, acoustic rear parking, light and rain sensor, auto-dimming door mirrors, cruise control, dual-electonic climate control, interior light pack, storage pack and luggage pack.

The only difference is the xenons which I detailed in my original post. Obviously the lower 15% VAT rate makes a difference of £423 so you could say the direct comparrison is that the car would cost £423.72 more assuming the same rate of VAT.

When I purchased my existing car the cost of an SE was exactly the same as a Sport but Audi have now lowered the price of the SE but have taken off a number of the options. I have added all these options back to get to my new price.

Just done it for the spec you list and it comes in at £24,715.

Well I had another detailed look at the prices involved. It was slightly confusing before because one set of prices included VAT and one did not and of course the VAT was not added until after the discount I received.

So I've gone back to the February 2007 price list which was the basis of my order for my March 2007 delivery and compared it with the current January 2009 price list.

My existing car was £19,665 + £1400 for the DSG + £2000 for the SE trim. This gave a total of £23,065. I then added options with a cost of £2755 giving a total of £25,320. If I take off the cost of the Xenons to get a direct comparrison = £25,820-675=£25,145.

For the same car now it would be £19,680 + £1420 for the DSG and £635 for the SE trim giving a total of £21,735. Add to that the options to bring it up the the same spec as the old SE spec plus my same options, then the cost of the options comes to £3355. Add this to the basic cost and I get a total of £25,090.

So on that basis a new A3 2.0TDI-170 SE DSG to the same spec as my existing car would cost me £24,145-£25,090=£55. That is £55 less than my previous car. I know a lot of the saving is due to the reduction in VAT but the fact is, it would actually cost me less.

Are Audi losing the plot with the A3?
2 years ago the list price for a Sportback 2.0TDI 170 DSG SE was less than £21,000.

So I've gone back to the February 2007 price list which was the basis of my order for my March 2007 delivery and compared it with the current January 2009 price list.

My existing car was £19,665 + £1400 for the DSG + £2000 for the SE trim. This gave a total of £23,065.

Plot being lost by someone, that's for sure!:sm4:

I parked next to a new facelift A3 S-Line in a multi storey in manchester yesterday and it had without doubt the worst paint job i've seen on any new car. The whole of the side was uneven and mottled. There's no way i would have driven that off the forecourt. Shocking really.

If you charge premium prices for cars at least get your act together and put the paint on it properly!

We currently have a 57 plate a3 sportback 1.9tdi sport, with 18" factory s line alloys upgrade and metallic paint cost us £18100 (discounted), i have just ordered a facelift sportback 1.9 tdi sport with phantom black paint,i pod console, cruise, black styling pack & privacy glass all for £16800, had to haggle hard but a lot cheaper than current car!