A3 quattro or 8L S3?

paul_b

Reaction score
Has anyone here gone from owning an 8L S3 to either a petrol 2.0T or 3.2 quattro A3? Be interested to hear your opinions on how they all compare.

I've test driven various cars such as the new S3 and R32 Mk5 - love both of them but budget is likely to be 10k max (Parkers reckon a 55 reg 2.0T Q can be had for 10.5k at the moment, so cheaper still by the summer).
I noticed there isn't much money now between a good low mileage 8L S3 and say a 2004 3.2, especially if you add up doing the suspension/brakes/remap on the S3. Also a lot of previous gen S3s are starting to look a bit ropey.
Unfortunately I've only had a brief go in each of them so really need some more test drives.

The 3.2 I wouldn't mess about with, if I go for a 2.0T or an 8L S3 it would be a crime not to get it remapped. I realise the Golf GTi is an obvious choice and better dynamically but I think I want four wheel drive with 250bhp under the hood, as I wouldn't leave the engine standard. My concern is the A3 would be too dull and quiet to drive.

My concern is the A3 would be too dull and quiet to drive.

I've never driven an 8L S3 but used to have a 3.2 A3 before my current car - and I'd advise you to go for the 8L S3. The A3 was a bit dull and the weight in the nose was always noticeable when cornering. It was fast in a straight line but about as agile as a wardrobe.
The 8L S3 on the other hand can be made into a VERY good car for not that much outlay. If you find a good one I'd go for it.

Thanks for the info. I do really like the noise of a V6 - was your 3.2 a Sport or an S-Line with the better suspension?
I only had a quick go in a 3.2 S-Line and thought it handled OK for a V6, and the brakes were superb. Didn't really push it hard though, and I don't like the DSG so would be going for a manual box.
Anyone with a remapped 2.0T care to comment on their car and how it compares?

Thanks for the info. I do really like the noise of a V6 - was your 3.2 a Sport or an S-Line with the better suspension?
I only had a quick go in a 3.2 S-Line and thought it handled OK for a V6, and the brakes were superb. Didn't really push it hard though, and I don't like the DSG so would be going for a manual box.
Anyone with a remapped 2.0T care to comment on their car and how it compares?

To be fair it was the Sport (bought it before S-Lines came out) with the DSG. There is a thread running by RobinA3 where he compares his remapped 2.0T with an R32 if that helps any ....