AH FabricationsEM Tuning
    Neutral

Status

A3 quattro or 8L S3?

Has anyone here gone from owning an 8L S3 to either a petrol 2.0T or 3.2 quattro A3? Be interested to hear your opinions on how they all compare.

I've test driven various cars such as the new S3 and R32 Mk5 - love both of them but budget is likely to be 10k max (Parkers reckon a 55 reg 2.0T Q can be had for 10.5k at the moment, so cheaper still by the summer).
    I noticed there isn't much money now between a good low mileage 8L S3 and say a 2004 3.2, especially if you add up doing the suspension/brakes/remap on the S3. Also a lot of previous gen S3s are starting to look a bit ropey.
    Unfortunately I've only had a brief go in each of them so really need some more test drives.

The 3.2 I wouldn't mess about with, if I go for a 2.0T or an 8L S3 it would be a crime not to get it remapped. I realise the Golf GTi is an obvious choice and better dynamically but I think I want four wheel drive with 250bhp under the hood, as I wouldn't leave the engine standard. My concern is the A3 would be too dull and quiet to drive.

2. # ADS
    ADS

Neutral

Status

5th Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by paul_b View Post
    My concern is the A3 would be too dull and quiet to drive.
    I've never driven an 8L S3 but used to have a 3.2 A3 before my current car - and I'd advise you to go for the 8L S3. The A3 was a bit dull and the weight in the nose was always noticeable when cornering. It was fast in a straight line but about as agile as a wardrobe.
    The 8L S3 on the other hand can be made into a VERY good car for not that much outlay. If you find a good one I'd go for it.
    Phantom Black S3, RNS-E with SDS Hack , BOSE, Sunroof, iPod, ITG CAI, Forge DV, Milltek TBE, Revo Stage 2+, Autotech HPFP, Sachs clutch, Lamin-X, BBS Pescaras, H&R springs, H&R ARBs, NGK Iridium Plugs, Vagcom.

Neutral

Status
    Thanks for the info. I do really like the noise of a V6 - was your 3.2 a Sport or an S-Line with the better suspension?
    I only had a quick go in a 3.2 S-Line and thought it handled OK for a V6, and the brakes were superb. Didn't really push it hard though, and I don't like the DSG so would be going for a manual box.
    Anyone with a remapped 2.0T care to comment on their car and how it compares?

5th Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by paul_b View Post
    Thanks for the info. I do really like the noise of a V6 - was your 3.2 a Sport or an S-Line with the better suspension?
    I only had a quick go in a 3.2 S-Line and thought it handled OK for a V6, and the brakes were superb. Didn't really push it hard though, and I don't like the DSG so would be going for a manual box.
    Anyone with a remapped 2.0T care to comment on their car and how it compares?
    To be fair it was the Sport (bought it before S-Lines came out) with the DSG. There is a thread running by RobinA3 where he compares his remapped 2.0T with an R32 if that helps any ....
    Phantom Black S3, RNS-E with SDS Hack , BOSE, Sunroof, iPod, ITG CAI, Forge DV, Milltek TBE, Revo Stage 2+, Autotech HPFP, Sachs clutch, Lamin-X, BBS Pescaras, H&R springs, H&R ARBs, NGK Iridium Plugs, Vagcom.