Monster MotorsportBadger5
    vorsprung Durch Technik

Status

Anybody fitted aftermarket xenon's/h.i.d's

standard headlights are fitted to my a3 sport.
    I want fit aftermarket xenons.....i was told on the a3 you can end up burning your wipermotors?
    Anyone know why?

If i fit relays will this stop the motors from burning out?

anyone fitted aftermarket xenons please let me know how they look in standard lights and on the road etc.

2. # ADS
    ADS

6th Gear

Status
    You could oem xenons and fit them on for arounf 300-400 but thats about it tbh.

Thats the whole light unit that it...

I got osram bulbs and they're pretty good - pure pure white.
    Audi A3 S-Line DSG - sold
    Golf Mk4 Autograph - sold
    Currently Vtec'in around in an Accord Type R :P

For Sale: ST3 Remap Console - PM Me :P
    Vagcom'd too

NHN
    Modmetractor

Status
    yeah basic single vision oem xenons should be straight swap, code it of course, but problem is your onboard module J519 above drivers footwell probably isnt able to code for this, depends really without logging on cant say for sure, bixenons are a different story, not impossible but more work

I wouldnt aftermarket because of the overloaded wiper motor module, this could be linked to the LIN BUS & possibly the power onboard module

Relays yes can work of battery but then you would have issues with bulb warnings etc, as a wiring guy & done a load of work on headlights recently I suggest you consider oem path with used headlights rather than aftermarket cause the wiper motor fault is costly & tbh aftermarket kits dont look anywhere near as good as oem ones IMHO, pity you didnt ask month ago as I had a set for sale, also the aftermarket kits can blow no matter what you are told, there is a seller on here for aftermarket kits but you are still risking other modules on the car going wrong.

OEM RETROFITS - CRUISE CONTROL - SAT NAV - BLUETOOTH - AMI - HEADLIGHT SYSTEMS

PARKING SYSTEMS - DIAGNOSTICS - FAULT FINDING - BODYWORK - PAINTWORK

2nd Gear

Status
    I have a set of OEM single vision xenon's sat in the garage that I was going to put on ebay some time this year. If you PM me we can discuss more if you like.....
    (From a 2004 A3, they are the type with Xenon projector dipped headlights and normal reflector halogen main beams.)
    2012 White A5 Coupe TFSi Black Edition
    (Was 2004 A3 2.0 TDi S-Line DSG, owned from 2005 to 2012....)

vorsprung Durch Technik

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by NHN View Post
    yeah basic single vision oem xenons should be straight swap, code it of course, but problem is your onboard module J519 above drivers footwell probably isnt able to code for this, depends really without logging on cant say for sure, bixenons are a different story, not impossible but more work

I wouldnt aftermarket because of the overloaded wiper motor module, this could be linked to the LIN BUS & possibly the power onboard module

Relays yes can work of battery but then you would have issues with bulb warnings etc, as a wiring guy & done a load of work on headlights recently I suggest you consider oem path with used headlights rather than aftermarket cause the wiper motor fault is costly & tbh aftermarket kits dont look anywhere near as good as oem ones IMHO, pity you didnt ask month ago as I had a set for sale, also the aftermarket kits can blow no matter what you are told, there is a seller on here for aftermarket kits but you are still risking other modules on the car going wrong.
    why have i got to code?

vorsprung Durch Technik

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by NHN View Post

Hids4u is stating buy the 'ultimate' hid kit for use with a3 2005 due to wiper motor failure,but also states that you use relays........what different will that make? Why not use a kit off e-bay and just use relays instead of buying the 'ultimate' kit for 195.

If i use relays and a kit i already have from hid's direct will i still get the wiper motor failure? and will i get the bulb warning aswell or can i use resistors and relays on my ''2005 a3 tdi'' ?

6th Gear

Status
    i'm sure I read somewhere that I guy tried relays but his wiper still failed. Does the Ad say whether it causes a blown bulb warning?

One of the problems not mentioned is the beam pattern. Xenon headlights have defusers to spread the beam about where halogen on the 8P model dont. I'm not sure how it would look on the beam tester come MOT time.
    2003-2008 1998 Red A3 8L 1.8 Sport
    2008 -> 2003 Akoya Silver A3 8P1 2.0 FSi Sport

NHN
    Modmetractor

Status
    Well hids4u I recommend but check with Ian as I believe someone on here already used on of those which guarantee no wiper motor issues, also they said they used relays for 9 months then it went, personally at 200+ for wiper fix I'd buy genuines & fit them as guaranteed work with correct wiring done.

NHN
    Modmetractor

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Khufu View Post
    I'm not sure how it would look on the beam tester come MOT time.
    **** even when its not on the beam tester

vorsprung Durch Technik

Status
    ive sourced the projector lamps,its just i dont want a blown wiper motor /bulb warnings...

NHN
    Modmetractor

Status
    Uh havnt we already answered this I mean I dont know how many times to say it fella, if you are worried about this then install oem's, simplesssssss