new head unit, symphonyII->concert3

TVT

Reaction score
I have just bought a new(er) 07 concert3 head unit instead of my symphonyII(05). I was hoping to use the same connectors, but no such luck.

The DIN power connectors are different, but that is just a matter of wiring, what I am trying to figure out is how to connect the antenna. Could someone please help figure out what they are called, or better yet, somewhere to buy an adapter. I found a usefull adapter on kufatech, but their customer-service and the price makes me want to find something else, hopefully cheaper.

Connector on the old symphonyII:
symphony2.jpg

The new one, concert3:

concert3.jpg

:whistle2:

Right, you'll need an RNSe adapter like the one below, this will convert your 4 mini ISO plugs in your car (red, black and blue plugs on the right) into a quadlock (big lump on the left. Check the wiring carefully as these are designed to retrofit an RNSe and some of the wiring is different on the new Concert units.

rnsea43.jpg

Next you need to plug in your antenna, again you'll need an adapter like the one below
136_0.jpg

Only connect up the 50 ohm plug as this is from the antenna in the rear screen. Don't bother with the diversity plug as this is not needed on the new Concert units. You may be down on reception as the pre 07 and post 07 cars use different antenna systems. There is as you say an adaptor module available form Kufatec for Euro 99 which is supposed to fix the problem. You might want to go down the route of actually fitting the "new" antenna amp in your tailgate to cure the issue outright. I've actually got the same issue as you but in reverse which I'm fixing by installing the "old" antenna amp. I'll have my new amp available in a few weeks when I get around to fitting it.

HTH

Thank you for the very informative answer.

If I was to install the new antenna amp, do I need dual antenna-wires from the tailgate?

What did the new amp cost?

No probs. You (should) already have dual wires from the tailgate!
The new amp from audi is about £150, i'll be selling the unit from mine for a lot less than that. Would you be interested?

This is the r-108 amplifier? I see from elsa that the two pins from the HU goes to r-108(aerial module) and r-24(high freequency aerial amplifier). As on my current system, both cables goes to r-108. This means I would have to do some rewiering back there. But I guess the r-24 is the same on all cars.

From elsa it also seems that the amplifier is the same, but connected differently. maybe I have to open up and see what kind of amp I've got in the car

hmm...:Flush:

This pic explains it quite well. Your car has the lower system fitted to it. I believe the top antenna modules are indeed the same, it's only the lower one that's different. 8P4 035 225A with navigation and 8P4 035 225D without.

phasen_schaltdiversity.jpg

Hm. From what I can see, I need either 8P0 035 225 or 8P0 035 225G.

Nice illustration :sm4:

I'll check whats in my car tomorow

I'll check whats in mine this weekend (and post a pic) and let you know.

Didn't get chance to look this weekend. Will keep you posted.

Finally pulled the trim off for a look inside. The lower antenna amp is as we thought 8P4 035 225D

TVT, can you please post some pics of the both the antenna amps fitted to your car?

I'm quite interested in the wiring from the top left antenna module.

No need, found a pic of what I was looking for.

Hm. From what I can see, I need either 8P0 035 225 or 8P0 035 225G.

Nice illustration :sm4:

I'll check whats in my car tomorow

TVT, did you check what's in your car? I've just done the amp exchange and it all works perfectly.

Been AFK for a while. :thrashi:

My lower amplifier is 8P4.035.225, and according to ETKA I can use this amp for Concert. :) But I have to disconnect the second coax wire from the HU, and extend this to the upper amp which is a 8P4.035.225.B. So I need to make an adapter from coax to a 3-pin connector.

I havent had time to read all of your DYI-guide, but it seems like something like I have to do to.

In your car the upper amp is powered by the lower amp. I accidentally tested my install as I forgot to plug the top amp into the lower amp and the reception was very very bad, so the two amps appear to work together. I'm not sure how you would make a coax to 3 pin converter as you would need to have at least power, earth and an antenna feed and as the coax is only 2 core what would you not connect? Just replied to your PM.

Ive installed a concert2+ for someone who originally had a concert (2005 single din) and are having issues with the arials. I understand the new concerts dont need diversity. At the minute ive got both the arials connected and when the car is stationary its all ok but when the car is driven the signal drops.

I presume i need to leave the diversity disconnected and only use the 50ohm ISO.

Question - Does the 50ohm connector go on the connector nearest the corner of the concert or the one nearer the centre

Matt

136_0.jpg

Only connect up the 50 ohm plug as this is from the antenna in the rear screen. Don't bother with the diversity plug as this is not needed on the new Concert units. You may be down on reception as the pre 07 and post 07 cars use different antenna systems. There is as you say an adaptor module available form Kufatec for Euro 99 which is supposed to fix the problem. You might want to go down the route of actually fitting the "new" antenna amp in your tailgate to cure the issue outright. I've actually got the same issue as you but in reverse which I'm fixing by installing the "old" antenna amp. I'll have my new amp available in a few weeks when I get around to fitting it.

HTH

As you can see from the pic, the 50 ohm goes to the connector at the edge of the headunit. You can leave the diversity unplugged, but the radio will most likely log a DTC.

The two antenna systems (concert I pre 07 and concert II post 07) are quite different. So in a nut shell -

Post 07 cars have two separate antennas which are both connected to the headunit. The headunit decides which has the best signal and takes it's pick.

Pre 07 cars also have two separate antennas, however they are both wired to the lower antenna amp in the boot lid. The headunit gets 1 antenna feed and also has whats called a ZF output back to the antenna amp. So in effect the headunit tells the rear amp what the signal is like and the amp changes which antenna is being used.

Now you have the concert II fitted the lower amp has no way of knowing if the signal is OK so may get confused. So you are probably only using one antenna which explains why the signal drops when the car is moving.

The kufatec solution consists of a new upper and lower amp (the lower amp is actually second hand!) to replace the existing ones and a fakra cable. This gives you the two antenna feeds from the amps which is what the headunit expects.

Hope that made sense!

As you can see from the pic, the 50 ohm goes to the connector at the edge of the headunit. You can leave the diversity unplugged, but the radio will most likely log a DTC.

The two antenna systems (concert I pre 07 and concert II post 07) are quite different. So in a nut shell -

Post 07 cars have two separate antennas which are both connected to the headunit. The headunit decides which has the best signal and takes it's pick.

Pre 07 cars also have two separate antennas, however they are both wired to the lower antenna amp in the boot lid. The headunit gets 1 antenna feed and also has whats called a ZF output back to the antenna amp. So in effect the headunit tells the rear amp what the signal is like and the amp changes which antenna is being used.

Now you have the concert II fitted the lower amp has no way of knowing if the signal is OK so may get confused. So you are probably only using one antenna which explains why the signal drops when the car is moving.

The kufatec solution consists of a new upper and lower amp (the lower amp is actually second hand!) to replace the existing ones and a fakra cable. This gives you the two antenna feeds from the amps which is what the headunit expects.

Hope that made sense!

Yeah it all makes sense, thanks

I was unsure if on the concert2+ the wire goes into the other connector

If you can find someone with a post 07 car with a retrofitted RNSe, you should be able to exchange the amps in the boot with a little wiring and fix both cars antenna issues in one go.

Some light reading for you..
http://www.audi-sport.net/vb/showthread.php?t=67896

Yeah ive seen that thanks