EM TuningAH Fabrications
    Reverse Gear

Status

MPH to KPH conversion

Hello everybody,

I will be buying my A3 Sport in the UK but I will be moving very soon to mainland Europe and I was wondering if it would be possible to change the speedometer and distance meter to read in kilometers instead of miles. How about ordering the car with option U1A instead of the standard U1B? I doubt that that would be possible.

Thank you in advance for your advice

Dimitris

2. # ADS
    ADS

3rd Gear

Status
    I tried to do that, but dealer wouldnt let me have the kmh cluster, reason given that it had to conform to one of the UK laws.

Now the car is in asia, and reading in miles..at least I can tell the police that I "misread" the speedo when he pulls me over
    Last edited by boggysv; 16th January 2009 at 13:07.
    World's Fastest S3 Driver - racing old people in toyota camries since 1997 with a 97.6% winning rate.

2nd Gear

Status
    It would surely make more sense to buy your car when you get there. Alternatively, throw money at the problem when you do. Most problems can be solved that way when all else fails.
    A3 2.0TDI Sportback S Line 184 Quattro S-Tronic, Mar. 2014 Glacier white. Electric seats, sunroof, se suspension, heated folding mirrors, Reversing camera, Nappa leather, TPMS, Hold assist, Xenon plus adaptive lights with variable active range control, lane assist, Interior light pack, Technology pack, Comfort pack with ACC, park assist & parking system plus

6th Gear

Status
    I guess you could buy a new cluster when you go over and get the dealer to code it to your keys & set the correct mileage etc
    2003-2008 1998 Red A3 8L 1.8 Sport
    2008 -> 2003 Akoya Silver A3 8P1 2.0 FSi Sport

R15 - TDI Power

Status
    If you don't mind me asking, what country are you moving to? I'd be more concerned about what side of the road they drive on there rather than the unit of measurement on the speedo.

If you're planning to buy in the UK so that you have a right hand drive car (which would be difficult to trade/sell in a country that drives on the right) you could always buy it here in Ireland, we drive on the left and our speedos are in KM... I think the Dutch are the same too...

Of course that'd probably make you the first person in history to export a car from Ireland... seriously expensive over here

If you do end up buying outside of the UK, the Sport is called the Ambition elsewhere in Europe...
    A3 Sport 2.0 TDI 140 Sportback DSG - Silver Metalic - Beige Vienna Leather - Aluminium Roof Rails - Light & Rain Sensors - Phatnoise

6th Gear

Status
    YOu can change the mileage reading to kilometres through the settings in the DIS. Press the ok button and then settings then units then tick teh box for kmh. the mileage will be in kilometers as wil everything in the dis (miles to empty/fuel consumptions) there is defintily an option to do it in the dis - i can do mine and post pics if you want - mines a 04 a3

The dash already has the km readings on the cluster. Im sure you can just buy the reverse paper bit that has kmh bigger thanthe mph.

Last edited by kaz219; 16th January 2009 at 18:19.
    Audi A3 S-Line DSG - sold
    Golf Mk4 Autograph - sold
    Currently Vtec'in around in an Accord Type R :P

For Sale: ST3 Remap Console - PM Me :P
    Vagcom'd too

Neutral

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by RS84 View Post
    Of course that'd probably make you the first person in history to export a car from Ireland... seriously expensive over here

Not correct, if you are exporting a new car from here you don't have to pay the VRT

3rd Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by kaz219 View Post
    Im sure you can just buy the reverse paper bit that has kmh bigger thanthe mph.

Where can I get them? My local dealer told me they only sell the whole cluster, and even that has to be ordered from germany.
    World's Fastest S3 Driver - racing old people in toyota camries since 1997 with a 97.6% winning rate.

6th Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by boggysv View Post
    Where can I get them? My local dealer told me they only sell the whole cluster, and even that has to be ordered from germany.
    think you're gong to have to keep an eye on ebay in a country that are breaking a audi and pull it from there.
    Audi A3 S-Line DSG - sold
    Golf Mk4 Autograph - sold
    Currently Vtec'in around in an Accord Type R :P

For Sale: ST3 Remap Console - PM Me :P
    Vagcom'd too