A3 Potential Buyer Questions

Tyler Owen

Reaction score
Hello there I'm really set on an A3 now think they are great, driven a few at work and like the look and way they drive, so want one of my own! And it's an Upgrade in the VAG group from SEAT lol

Anyways here begins my questions, sorry there are a few :eek: I'm looking at the 2.0 diesel options, whats better to go for a 140 brake or the newer 170? Is the difference between the above bigger injectors, remap and the DPF? anything else?
Just i can get a more for my money with the 140 obviously!

Also DSG is it worth the extra? I've always been a fan of manuals over autos, i like to downshift and engine brake, but will this fox the DSG box?

Quattro also i'm assuming this makes the world of difference to the handling over the FWD version, just after a reinforcement of what i already expect lol

I'm looking at for a used S Line preferable Facelift model, as a general rule the facelifts seem to be post 06 registration

Again apologies for the newbie questions:blush:

Thanks Tyler

I had the choice of 140 or 170. A drive in both decided that one for me. Faster, quieter and I personally find it to still be good on fuel.

I dont have Quattro, never find myself wanting for it in terms of getting the power down, just use a bit of throttle control and its fine. Guess it would be nice if you can afford it but its an extra thing to have serviced and uses more fuel.

And before anyone says about buying a 140 and remapping to 180bhp you can do the same to the 170 if you wanted and see 200+ :)

If PD engine 170 every time. You can't get DSG and Quattro so you need to decide which you would like more - if either!

No problem downshifting and engine braking with the DSG.

Hi mate

This is my presonal opinion so no one flame me or anyting.....

But i would go for a 140 quattro and just do a simple remap to get it up to 180ish bhp.

Just me 2p's worth

A!:thumbsup:

I would also say 170 :D

For the work we have done on removing the DPF and tuning with Custom-Code Phase 2 looking at 210-225bhp :D and some real nice torque figures! Not only that with what we have done you get rid of the pain in the *** DPF - no throttle hang and very smooth across the rev range :)

my 2ps worth too :D

Mike

I'd also say 170 brake mate-thats what I'm after at the mo. As Matt says: Faster and quieter! and deffinatly go with the remap on the 170 :eyebrows:

I've decided that i'd rather have quattro over a DSG box

Going to look a couple tommorrow looks like i'm gonna have to go for a 140 as the quattro 170's are still abit above what i can realistically afford :(

Gonna see how it goes tommorrow on a test drive, still looking at the idea of owning a diesel is pretty new, always been a petrol head, but after driving a few mapped dervs via work and moving into the london from the countryside, and discovering a thing called traffic i think a diesel is a more viable option especialy as there isn't a chance to use the extra revs of my 1.8T ....