Audio upgrade to my as yet unbuilt A3!

evapor8

Reaction score
Hello all.

I have ordered a 2.0 TFSI black edition which will come with the Audi Concert, the Bose speakers and the iPod adaptor.

I would like to upgrade the stereo at some stage for a double din aftermark stereo, but after browsing these forums for the last few days I've seen grumblings that it may not play well with the Bose speakers.

Comments please?

I'm thinking of adding something like the Alpine IVA-W505R:

http://www.alpine-electronics.co.uk/home/products/mobile-media-stations/iva-w505r/

Thanks for your help.

Chris

Impressive unit tbh, but nothing looks better in gap than the rns which is inferior to the alpine one but it does what it does very well, problem is the antenna system if you retorofit rns or alpine afterwards, 8p uses diversity system & the concert uses different one to the rns so you are stuck between rock & hard place, but still I'd do the rns retrofit, wouldnt pay audi 2k for the rns from factory & the concert is double din anyway on new cars IIRC

Thanks for your help mate. Bit technical for me, but I get your drift.

RNS-E from ebay is the way forward then?

Not sure I'd let someone on this little island fit it for me .... would have to get it done during a trip to the mainland.

Would it be a big task to fit the Alpine?

Well I'm in the south so look me up if need to fit rns-e

Thing is not sure if alpine has ability to communicate with the DIS so you lose data showing in the speedo which the RNS would do, the sd slots are great tbh, only take 4GB normal sd cards but still 500 tunes on small mem cards is ok & just swap cards, nav is pretty damn good to aong with btooth module mod

RNS-E is the way forward if you dont want to fiddle with speakers, wires and stuff.

I've got an alpine 9812 in mine with an adapter to work with the bsoe and stuff and it sounds "ok" up to volume 27 but the max on my radio is 35, it cracles and distorts - not good at all..

You also need a canbus adapter to make it go on and off (i just pull the face off as this does me fine).

Some people suggest connecting the Audi speakers to the HU but you dont want to do this as the speakers are diff rating (different ohm or something) and this could damage the HU.

I;ve got a link on audio forum to why the speakers and stuff wont work, let me know if you want me to dig out for you :D

The only reason i went aftermarket is because I have a massive sub install (145db :D) and to get the max control of it, i needed an Alpine as they have a seperate control for the sub and have bass focus and stuff for v. precise settings :D

RNS is probably the way forward tbh - if i didnt have a sub, probably would have got one...

BTW, very nice choise of car - the black edition looks awesome and you chose a top engine too :D

Cheers Kaz.

I'd have absolutely no idea about fitting the head unit myself, so I'd be getting a pro to do it for me. In fact to protect the car, I'd probably have the Audi boys do it (not sure they'd be that keen though).

I'd be grateful if you could dig out the forum post. Not on talkaudio is it?

Chris

Yes, its on talkaudio.

they just tell me that the audi speakers run on 2 ohms and my stereo doesnt so it will blow it.

http://www.talkaudio.co.uk/vbb/showthread.php?t=274830

But if you connect the alpine hu to your normal speakers, an adapter should do the trick to work but thats the adapter i have and its not very good tbh. If you do go aftermarket and like your music loud and clear, I would advise a speaker upgrade or another smaller amp with new component speakers...(I've got a JBL GTO and will soon buy the rainbow components mentioned in the talkaudio post)

All the faffing around it isnt really worth it - im just a bass junkie who doesnt have anything better to do with his boot! lol

Also, as NHN mentioned below, you will lose display of the DIS and the alpine cant display the speedo...

but seriously mate, for the hassel and all that is involved, Id just go for an RNS. My standard radio wasnt all too bad and i remember it being quite clear when loud..

And to fit it, its is fairly simple but if NHN is near you, then he will be able to do it.

Warning Rant On:

If it gets rid of this frigging cough tail end of flu then damn straight I would, it just wont go away ***, hate going to doctors, as is it me or are doctors receptionists all pretentious pains in ****, sometimes I think they think they're the doctors, also consultants secretarys are useless man, 5 fecking calls later, why didnt you return one single call of mine, oh I was to busy looking all stuck up my own **** to answer the phone, then maybe you should go see a proctologist to help you so you stop talking out of your **** & **** outta your mouth

Call it a rant but no wonder the system is *****, cause they dont do there fecking job anyway, go on get me in goverment get rid of these bureaucratic idiots & get some **** done in this country, like roadworks on the M25, spot the workers though, 20 mile strip & you see 5 workers, I mean really WTF is all that about