Forge CAI + Forge DV - dont know whether I am being paranoid

ved789

Reaction score
Hi,

I have the Forge CAI and DV on my S3. I really enjoy this setup on my car. The power and more importantly the noises are addictive.
Anyhow, I did not drive the car for the last 3 weeks, as I drove the TT down to the coast for the holiday's. I took the car out for a good run, and all feels fine, but I notice the mulitplie "sneezing" (choo chooo chooo chooo), at over 6000 rpm is rather muted. The noise is soft and you can hear the muliple over run noises. Now, I tested this at below 5000rpm and all seems 100% ok. The "sneezing" is perfect.I get the full sound effects.

Now the question is, I do not know if the sound was always quieter at the redline. I just feel paranoid that something is wrong? I can not remember if it always like this. I am also a bit baffled as all is well at the lower rpms.

Comments from other S3 driver's please.

Thanks

(posted on S3-talk and ASN)

Ths sneezing as you call it will be less audible at higher revs as the torque is dropping off by then and also due to the extra speed less external noise will be heard anyhow.
Im running the forge cai and i find it sneezes most when shifting at maximum engine torque around 3000 rpm.

Do you guys take the CAI off when you take your car into Audi for a service? I'm in two minds.

Do you guys take the CAI off when you take your car into Audi for a service? I'm in two minds.

I would NEVER take my car into a dealer for a service. Take it to an independent Audi expert: cheaper, better quality, doesn't affect warranty, they don't care about modifications. I paid £146 last week for a service at Votex in Congleton (I travelled 40 miles to get there but worth it for their expertise) and left all my mods on. They have done an absolutely superb job too.

I would NEVER take my car into a dealer for a service. Take it to an independent Audi expert: cheaper, better quality, doesn't affect warranty, they don't care about modifications. I paid £146 last week for a service at Votex in Congleton (I travelled 40 miles to get there but worth it for their expertise) and left all my mods on. They have done an absolutely superb job too.

Hmm i agree with some of your points however by not having main dealer history you WILL affect resale/trade in value. Is it worth it for saving £100???

Hmm i agree with some of your points however by not having main dealer history you WILL affect resale/trade in value. Is it worth it for saving £100???

No - but it is worth it to get the car seen to properly. My car is not an area where I'm out to save money: just want the best possible job no matter the cost. The fact that the best quality comes cheaper in the independent market is an added bonus.

I agree about resale IF you trade in with a dealer. Private sale won't be affected though.

No - but it is worth it to get the car seen to properly. My car is not an area where I'm out to save money: just want the best possible job no matter the cost. The fact that the best quality comes cheaper in the independent market is an added bonus.

I agree about resale IF you trade in with a dealer. Private sale won't be affected though.

If its an enthusiast buyer then maybe, especialy with a modified example.

The problem is that average Joe isnt always that educated and would be suspicious at a lack of dealer stamps, wrightly or wrongly.
Not having dealer stamps does narrow your market when selling on, assuming thats important.
Even though in the real world a book full of dealer stamps guarantees little or nothing.

cheers
Paul

I dont think having a dealer stamp is that important, as long as the book has been filled in correctly, I would be more intrested in the recepts!

Thats always good proof what work has been done on the car!

When i brought my Fabia the car had always been serviced by the main daeler but they never stamped the book but I had all the recepts to prove the work had been done!

Dealer service history is not that important!

On a vehicle such as an s3 then it is, as the car get older it becomes less important but IT does put buyers off and will certainly give the delear reason to knock the trade in value.

On a vehicle such as an s3 then it is, as the car get older it becomes less important but IT does put buyers off and will certainly give the delear reason to knock the trade in value.

:iagree:
Fact....Unfortunately....

The Forge does make a lot of really scary noises. It should choo-choo-choo around 3500 to 4500 rpm or so as it regulates under WOT, and then under hard throttle when gear change you should get a quick, hard sound as well (a very scary one like your turbo wants to climb out from the car).

A bit OTT but do other intakes like Carbonio and the like also make these noises?

The Forge does make a lot of really scary noises. It should choo-choo-choo around 3500 to 4500 rpm or so as it regulates under WOT, and then under hard throttle when gear change you should get a quick, hard sound as well (a very scary one like your turbo wants to climb out from the car).

A bit OTT but do other intakes like Carbonio and the like also make these noises?

Yep, I've got a Neuspeed CAI on mine and it does exactly the same. Wondered what the hell was going on at first but got used to it now. Heard it described as lots of different noises but I think choo-choo-choo fits best.