Sky InsuranceChris Nott
Results 1 to 34 of 34
  1. #1
    Digzz's Avatar
    "Started From The Bottom"

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    London
    Posts
    1,383

    New 08-09 Front Head Light Conversion

    I was wondering if it was possible to have 08-09 Front Head lights with LED inside, on a 53 plate Audi a3?. Look at picture:


  2. # ADS
    ADS
    Join Date
    Always
    Location
    Global
    Posts
    Many
     
  3. #2
    Staz's Avatar
    is a retronaut

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Bristol (mostly)
    Posts
    6,168
    Quote Originally Posted by digzz View Post
    I was wondering if it was possible to have 08-09 Front Head lights with LED inside, on a 53 plate Audi a3?. Look at picture:
    Been asked a few times before mate. It can be done, but you need to change the front bumper, bonnet and the wings too I think.
    8P2 S3

    For advice on Air Con problems please read my FAQs.
    To find ASN members with VCDS check out the MAP.

  4. #3
    smudge_don's Avatar
    6th Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Sutton, Surrey
    Posts
    2,941
    Quote Originally Posted by staz1000 View Post
    Been asked a few times before mate. It can be done, but you need to change the front bumper, bonnet and the wings too I think.
    Might as well just buy the new car if your're going to do that

  5. #4
    Digzz's Avatar
    "Started From The Bottom"

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    London
    Posts
    1,383
    Quote Originally Posted by staz1000 View Post
    Been asked a few times before mate. It can be done, but you need to change the front bumper, bonnet and the wings too I think.

    Has any one done this on these Threads ? Like a tutorial or something ?

  6. #5
    NHN
    NHN's Avatar
    Modmetractor

    Status
    Online
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Coding Something
    Posts
    27,075
    Yes it can be done interms of the look, which as staz correctly states, wings, bonnet, bumper, light brackets, but then you have the electrical issues to contend with given the new drl's are led's, this would no doubt be a long coding thing in vag & then it would also depend on your version of onboard power control unit in top corner drivers side above footwell that has all the wires going into, this is also what stumped a few who stuck bixenons on there car & have funny drl activity, the onboard units have different abilities to enable, they come in byte versions, more bytes generally means more options able to enable, they go 17, 21, 23 30 bytes long, 23 onwards are the ones that officially I believe support proper drl coding, you can code drl's in the lower bytes but there are higher bytes that also affect how they work, so given I've done the updated front end for the pre-08 with adaptives I would suggest maybe buying the car rather than doing the upgrade, not cheaper at all but less hassle, lol

    OEM RETROFITS - CRUISE CONTROL - SAT NAV - BLUETOOTH - AMI - HEADLIGHT SYSTEMS

    PARKING SYSTEMS - DIAGNOSTICS - FAULT FINDING - BODYWORK - PAINTWORK

  7. #6
    I'mRonBurgundy?'s Avatar
    Lets make that kitten purr...

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    543
    Quote Originally Posted by mitch78 View Post
    Over 2,000 anyway.
    No one mentioned they look naff too.
    2008 A3 1.8T FSI S-line Phantom Black, Bose, iPod Dock, Front Centre Armrest, Storage Pack, Aluminium Pedals, H&R Spacers, Eibach Pro's, Ambient Lighting, Pressed plates with Ingolstadt surrounds.

  8. #7
    6th Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Telford
    Posts
    2,488
    B6 1.8T Avant s line gmbh

  9. #8
    NHN
    NHN's Avatar
    Modmetractor

    Status
    Online
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Coding Something
    Posts
    27,075
    I'll let you do that mod then Lee, lol, but why didnt audi do them like Saab, they look so much more refined dont you think.

    What is it with audi, they're so slow to implement modern tech they really are & it pisses me of cause no other car really says much to me interms of reliability from my experiences

    OEM RETROFITS - CRUISE CONTROL - SAT NAV - BLUETOOTH - AMI - HEADLIGHT SYSTEMS

    PARKING SYSTEMS - DIAGNOSTICS - FAULT FINDING - BODYWORK - PAINTWORK

  10. #9
    6th Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Telford
    Posts
    2,488
    Its true, the mk5 golf has had mirrors with indicators since 2004. Audi put them on the A3 4 years later and Audi are supposed to be the better brand.

    The SAAB DRL's are pretty cool, they look like eyebrows!
    B6 1.8T Avant s line gmbh

  11. #10
    NHN
    NHN's Avatar
    Modmetractor

    Status
    Online
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Coding Something
    Posts
    27,075
    Yeah the saabs are cool except for there **** chroming styling which has ruined the look really has, but there drl's are almost like fluorescents, one whole strip of light not segmented, impressive, guess they use same tech as bmw(sorry for swear word) ccfl isnt it?

    But audi are so slow, I mean am I right in saying the rns I have has sd slots but the mmi systems in a4(8K) a6, a8, q5 & 7 dont have any sd slots anywhere, 1 step fwd 10 steps back, sd slots were best idea for ages as so convenient.

    OEM RETROFITS - CRUISE CONTROL - SAT NAV - BLUETOOTH - AMI - HEADLIGHT SYSTEMS

    PARKING SYSTEMS - DIAGNOSTICS - FAULT FINDING - BODYWORK - PAINTWORK

  12. #11
    6th Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Telford
    Posts
    2,488
    Yeah the chrome sunglasses are tat and at the end of the day its just a vectra wearing shades! I also dont like the silver stripe and clear rear lights on the estates. Looks ok on Silvers and light colours but awful on the black/greys. The lights also light up pink rather than red.

    Whats the RNS in the new Gallardo? Seen a pic today and it looks identical to the A3 one? Also seems to be sporting an RS4 steering wheel!
    B6 1.8T Avant s line gmbh

  13. #12
    NHN
    NHN's Avatar
    Modmetractor

    Status
    Online
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Coding Something
    Posts
    27,075
    well since audi bought them they've stuck some audi premium kit in the gallardo's & then copied the gallardo to make the R8, lol, pissed me of as I loved the gallardo as looked good & original with great lines, cant stand the R8 tbh

    OEM RETROFITS - CRUISE CONTROL - SAT NAV - BLUETOOTH - AMI - HEADLIGHT SYSTEMS

    PARKING SYSTEMS - DIAGNOSTICS - FAULT FINDING - BODYWORK - PAINTWORK

  14. #13
    Reverse Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    1

    Cool A3 2009 REAR LIGHTS SPORTBACK 2.0 TDI

    HI ALL NEW TO FORUM, I HAVE 2006 A3 SPORTBACK AN WANTING TO KNOW IF THE NEW LED STYLE LIGHTS WILL GO ON. I KNOW U CAN PUT S3 XENONS ON THE FRONT AN BUY A WIRING CONVERSION OF SOME SORT THAT BASICALLY PLUG AN PLAY. DOES ANYONE HAVE A CLUE ABOUT REAER LIGHTS, THANKS

  15. #14
    Ash B's Avatar
    6th Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Cardiff
    Posts
    5,806
    You can have the new sportsback lights, need vag com to programe them i believe here a thread with part numbers and step by step.
    S3SB Rear Lights Part Numbers

    Hope that helps
    Dark Vader Half sibling - MyThread

  16. #15
    NHN
    NHN's Avatar
    Modmetractor

    Status
    Online
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Coding Something
    Posts
    27,075
    Quote Originally Posted by S11KCK View Post
    HI ALL NEW TO FORUM, I HAVE 2006 A3 SPORTBACK AN WANTING TO KNOW IF THE NEW LED STYLE LIGHTS WILL GO ON. I KNOW U CAN PUT S3 XENONS ON THE FRONT AN BUY A WIRING CONVERSION OF SOME SORT THAT BASICALLY PLUG AN PLAY. DOES ANYONE HAVE A CLUE ABOUT REAER LIGHTS, THANKS
    welcome & no the front is not as easy for the new 09 facelift headlights, they are different shape/size & requires the whole front replacing to fit mate.

    rears are simple, loom addition, fit & then code with vcds, given they're same shape & size etc as pre 09 cars.

    OEM RETROFITS - CRUISE CONTROL - SAT NAV - BLUETOOTH - AMI - HEADLIGHT SYSTEMS

    PARKING SYSTEMS - DIAGNOSTICS - FAULT FINDING - BODYWORK - PAINTWORK

  17. #16
    Reverse Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    3
    is the 2009 3-doors rear lights plug and play or does these also need coding?

  18. #17
    Reverse Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    3
    is the 2009 3-doors rear lights plug and play or does these also need coding?

  19. #18
    Reverse Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    3
    would this 2009 front fit an before "facelift-2" front?
    Or does the new facelift use different fasteningpoints?

  20. #19
    Ash B's Avatar
    6th Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Cardiff
    Posts
    5,806
    Quote Originally Posted by hc_TK View Post
    is the 2009 3-doors rear lights plug and play or does these also need coding?
    And the 3door facelift lights and just plug and play no coding needed.

    Quote Originally Posted by hc_TK View Post
    would this 2009 front fit an before "facelift-2" front?
    Or does the new facelift use different fasteningpoints?
    You will need wings bonnet bumper and other bits. Some one did price it up and it came up to over 3k....Check FAQ laods of info regarding this:

    Is it possible to fit the Facelift S3 front end/New 09 Front Head Light
    Will the 2009 facelift S3 front end fit a pre-facelift S3?

    http://audi-sport.net/vb/showthread.php?t=61545


    Will the 2009 facelift LED A3/S3 headlights fit a pre-facelift?

    http://www.audi-sport.net/vb/showthread.php?t=65271

    Technically yes, if you've got a lot of spare cash.


    This thread discusses aftermarket lights with LED DRLs for the A3 (still awaiting news):

    http://www.audi-sport.net/vb/showthread.php?t=73621
    Dark Vader Half sibling - MyThread

  21. #20
    Staz's Avatar
    is a retronaut

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Bristol (mostly)
    Posts
    6,168
    Quote Originally Posted by hc_TK View Post
    "facelift-2"
    To stop people becoming confused by the various terms used for the 3 models of the 8P we have come up with a method of naming them:

    8P1, 8P2 or 8P3?
    8P2 S3

    For advice on Air Con problems please read my FAQs.
    To find ASN members with VCDS check out the MAP.

  22. #21
    Reverse Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    1
    You will need wings bonnet bumper and other bits.
    lazer tattoo removal cream before and after free cost the tattoo removal cream blog tells you about cost and creams to buy lazer tattoo removal cream before and after free cost

  23. #22
    lukebuckley's Avatar
    Reverse Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Posts
    17
    Yeh sure you could alter the whole of the front of you car (really?) or you could go buy some after market xenons (arround 30). And also you can buy the R8 light strips (replicas) pretty damn cheap and very VERY simular. Look around a bit though as some do look a bit chep and make sure there are the same colr as your xenons. All in, about 50 and looks great and save doing silly thing to your car or waiting for some whole units to be released and lets face it there gonna be dammmmn expensive too.

  24. #23
    Ash B's Avatar
    6th Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Cardiff
    Posts
    5,806
    Quote Originally Posted by lukebuckley View Post
    Yeh sure you could alter the whole of the front of you car (really?) or you could go buy some after market xenons (arround 30). And also you can buy the R8 light strips (replicas) pretty damn cheap and very VERY simular. Look around a bit though as some do look a bit chep and make sure there are the same colr as your xenons. All in, about 50 and looks great and save doing silly thing to your car or waiting for some whole units to be released and lets face it there gonna be dammmmn expensive too.

    Head light unit has been released just in LHD at the moment and there about 230 on ebay
    Dark Vader Half sibling - MyThread

  25. #24
    Reverse Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    1
    I'm very interested! I would love to find out more.

    installing electric radiant floor heating systems cost heat hydronic need help for installing radiant floor heating systems, wondering the costs? installing electric radiant floor heating systems cost heat hydronic

  26. #25
    AjM
    AjM's Avatar
    Living in Blissful Ignorance

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Torbay, S.Devon
    Posts
    295
    Can i just confirm that the 09 LED DRL Xenons for S3 will NOT fit into an 08 S3 with halogen DRL? I see the different between the headlights in the 8P1 and 8P3 and realise you would need wings and bonnet etc but i think i have an 8P2 and i can't see any size or shape difference in the actual unit? Thanks, apologies if this gets asked a lot but it does not seem to be answered.

  27. #26
    Reverse Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    16
    Quote Originally Posted by AjM View Post
    Can i just confirm that the 09 LED DRL Xenons for S3 will NOT fit into an 08 S3 with halogen DRL? I see the different between the headlights in the 8P1 and 8P3 and realise you would need wings and bonnet etc but i think i have an 8P2 and i can't see any size or shape difference in the actual unit? Thanks, apologies if this gets asked a lot but it does not seem to be answered.
    Whats the difference between 8P1, 8P2 and 8P3? I thought there was just non facelift and facelifted?

  28. #27
    scottie123's Avatar
    (●̮̮̃̃) (●̮̮̃̃)

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    (.) (.)
    Posts
    1,888
    Quote Originally Posted by AjM View Post
    Can i just confirm that the 09 LED DRL Xenons for S3 will NOT fit into an 08 S3 with halogen DRL? I see the different between the headlights in the 8P1 and 8P3 and realise you would need wings and bonnet etc but i think i have an 8P2 and i can't see any size or shape difference in the actual unit? Thanks, apologies if this gets asked a lot but it does not seem to be answered.

    No they will not fit if yours is 8p2 .

    Sorry
    05 SB SE BKD

    Build Thread

  29. #28
    AjM
    AjM's Avatar
    Living in Blissful Ignorance

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Torbay, S.Devon
    Posts
    295
    Do you know why, as far as i can tell there is no physical difference between the cars except the LED front and rear lights and wind mirrors, or am i missing something?

  30. #29
    scottie123's Avatar
    (●̮̮̃̃) (●̮̮̃̃)

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    (.) (.)
    Posts
    1,888
    It has all changed size ever so slightly. You will need new bonnet, wings etc to accommodate this. Audi are not stupid. They new everybody would want to retro these lights, so have made sure it aint a direct swap

    It has been done, but will require lots of work and mucho
    05 SB SE BKD

    Build Thread

  31. #30
    akash_sky1's Avatar
    5th Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Glasgow (Sheffield occas.)
    Posts
    1,209
    Quote Originally Posted by Lee_R View Post
    Its true, the mk5 golf has had mirrors with indicators since 2004. Audi put them on the A3 4 years later and Audi are supposed to be the better brand.

    The SAAB DRL's are pretty cool, they look like eyebrows!
    About 10 years after Mercedes though with the W210!
    A3 2.0TFSI quattro Sportback Lava Grey | | GIAC K03 Extreme Map | Autotech HPFP | RS4 Fuel Regulator | Neuspeed P-Flo | BSH PCV Fix | MV Sport DP | S3 Intake Cam | 285 BHP & 320 lb Ft Torque
    Votex Kit | TD Pro race 1.2 | Schwarze Audi Rings | Alu Rails | Sachs Clutch | H & R Now gone. Current- A5 Cab 2012


  32. #31
    Reverse Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    1

    audi a3 8p headlight conversion

    Hi,all,came across this site looking for headlight conversion info from a 06 model to the 09,i have just started out on doing the facelift mod to my sons vehicle to house the new lights,so as i progress i will update as it may help others in the future.
    Ok,we have a 06 ,2,0tdi sport 140 3,dr,we have purchased the following 09 components all off just the one vehicle and lucky enough the same black metalic paint,the parts we have are,bonnet,both front wings,complete bumper with re inforcer and mounting irons,full rad pack with the plastic mounting frame and of course a pair of headlights and grille,we have removed all the front and are now dummy building the face lift.
    Issues we have found at first glance.the wing mountings are different where they bolt to the top of inner wings down the length of the bonnet slam,will require heavy moding,every where else they bolt on fine,the wiring connector to the headlights will need moding as our original ones have the loom entering the plug at 90 degrees which foul against the headlight adjusters,the intercooler entry and exit pipes are in a different position so will have to put our original into the rad pack,if it fits,the facelift wings don,t have repeater lights and the horns are mounted both on the drivers side as opposed to being both sides on our 06 front,so plenty to be getting on with,i will detail how we get on as we set about overcoming these issues for those that are interested,for information we gave 900 for the listed facelift items in mint condition.

  33. #32
    Ash B's Avatar
    6th Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Cardiff
    Posts
    5,806
    Quote Originally Posted by wayne.elliott View Post
    Hi,all,came across this site looking for headlight conversion info from a 06 model to the 09,i have just started out on doing the facelift mod to my sons vehicle to house the new lights,so as i progress i will update as it may help others in the future.
    Ok,we have a 06 ,2,0tdi sport 140 3,dr,we have purchased the following 09 components all off just the one vehicle and lucky enough the same black metalic paint,the parts we have are,bonnet,both front wings,complete bumper with re inforcer and mounting irons,full rad pack with the plastic mounting frame and of course a pair of headlights and grille,we have removed all the front and are now dummy building the face lift.
    Issues we have found at first glance.the wing mountings are different where they bolt to the top of inner wings down the length of the bonnet slam,will require heavy moding,every where else they bolt on fine,the wiring connector to the headlights will need moding as our original ones have the loom entering the plug at 90 degrees which foul against the headlight adjusters,the intercooler entry and exit pipes are in a different position so will have to put our original into the rad pack,if it fits,the facelift wings don,t have repeater lights and the horns are mounted both on the drivers side as opposed to being both sides on our 06 front,so plenty to be getting on with,i will detail how we get on as we set about overcoming these issues for those that are interested,for information we gave 900 for the listed facelift items in mint condition.

    Welcome to the forum


    Speak to Phil or Dean. Both members on here and have done the conversion.
    Both nice guys and will be able to advise you on what to do.
    I think Phil online now aswell



    EDIT: User names - message P5SND or Dean's A3
    Last edited by Ash B; 4th February 2011 at 19:19.
    Dark Vader Half sibling - MyThread

  34. #33
    1st Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    149
    you need the brakets to extend the wings i believe. make sure u take lots of pictures and post them up as your going through ur progress . also i would of thought ud use your old rad pack etc just slot it into the new front panel.

  35. #34
    PH1L's Avatar
    Gievf Buckets

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Forfar, Scotland
    Posts
    3,863
    pop over to my build thread on vagoc its called "Phils S3 Build" its full of pictures and details


    2007 S3 PhantomSchwartz

    Spec | Auto Lights | Black Headlining | RNS-E with 6 CD Changer | Phone Prep | Facelift Tails | MFSW | Cruise | Bluetooth | Adaptive Bi-xenon Headlights |

    Mods
    | MY10 Facelift | 75% LED's | Sepang Bronze Facelift Alloys

    Plans | LED 3dr tails | BBK Setup | Some BBS | Custom TBE |

    Quote Originally Posted by N8
    Yes, but they are OEM Phaeton Helios alloy wheels, not cheap ****e aftermarket piles of poop.

 

 

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO

Garage Plus, Vendor Tools vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO