How to: S3 exhaust flap mod

Staz

is a retronaut
VCDS Map User
Reaction score
Recy G sent me the link to the old thread about this mod:

http://www.audi-sport.net/vb/showthread.php?t=42546

I knew nothing about it as I was away at the time but I thought I'd give it a go, so here it is.

You will need:

1x flat head screwdriver
1x pliers
about 50cm of thin locking-wire

So here is the lever which moves the flap:

ExhaustFlap1.jpg

And here is the flap inside the left pipe:

ExhaustFlap2.jpg

Firstly you will need to use the screwdriver to pop the lever out of the hole in the actuator arm so it looks like this:

ExhaustFlap3.jpg

As was pointed out by siu00adg (post #73) if you leave it like that the flap could quite easily close itself. More than likely the flap would turn around completely and end up about 170 degrees from the closed position (i.e. the flap nearly closed but facing the opposite way) and stay there.

Not only this but the lever arm sits just where you would like the actuator arm to sit and would still be moving as normal so would push the actuator arm out of position.

I decided I would use some .457mm locking wire to tackle the issue (I only had 2 sizes in the locker and the other was too thick):

ExhaustFlap4.jpg

I tried a couple of ways of routing the wire to hold the actuator arm in place but this is how it ended up:

ExhaustFlap5.jpg

I started by wrapping the wire through the hole in the arm a couple of times. I then put in a few twists to keep the wire secure. Then I looped both ends around the mount from the front to the back and then tied them off together against the first section of wire.

You may find a better way to do this but the idea is there.

The flap position is not perfectly flat but I would have thought it's free flowing enough anyway:

ExhaustFlap6.jpg

I have not had a proper drive to try it out yet, only drove back from the workshop to my room, 1/2 mile at 20mph limit. I will be going out later to get some food so I will post results then.

Reactions: HHS3
what's the issue with the flap? What does it do? Is it like the EXup valve on Yamaha motorbikes?

Well I'm back now, and I can't say I noticed any difference!

Maybe a bit more popping on the overrun but that's it.

Go out for a real blast then report back fella :p

Have got the NSN for that lock wire please Staz. Haha

I guess this flap does will not exist if the exhaust was replaced with an aftermarket exhaust? What does this flap do anyways? Put up the back pressure during low RPM?

and that' s another story.... :undwech:
It certainly is! :arco:

I guess this flap does will not exist if the exhaust was replaced with an aftermarket exhaust? What does this flap do anyways? Put up the back pressure during low RPM?
It won't be on an aftermarket no. I don't know what it does tbh. I don't know when it opens and closes but why would you want back pressure anyway? I thought back pressure was a bad thing as it ******* power!

What does this flap do anyways? Put up the back pressure during low RPM?

I thought it was to make the exhaust quiet at low revs and make more noise at high revs. Could be wrong though....

It won't be on an aftermarket no. I don't know what it does tbh. I don't know when it opens and closes but why would you want back pressure anyway? I thought back pressure was a bad thing as it ******* power!

correct, the ideal situation on a turbo car is no back pressure at all hence 3" systems :)

It certainly is! :arco:

I don't know what it does tbh. I don't know when it opens and closes but why would you want back pressure anyway? I thought back pressure was a bad thing as it ******* power!

It's a drive-by noise EU regulation thing. Up to 3500 rpm; it keeps one side shut so the exhaust makes less noise; over 3500rpm the flap opens and the exhaust is slightly louder.

Even my MGTF had one which I also overrode. (Oh dear yes I did just admit to having one of those at one point)

It's a drive-by noise EU regulation thing. Up to 3500 rpm; it keeps one side shut so the exhaust makes less noise; over 3500rpm the flap opens and the exhaust is slightly louder.

I see! I was listening out for extra noise at higher revs. Can't say I noticed a difference lower down either.

none of the images load, or is this just for me?

The images won't load for anyone - blame money hungry Photobucket. Their updated sharing policy has killed '000's & '000's of blogs forums world wide.

so have we confirmed that opening the flap will just make it slightly louder below 3500RPM?

so have we confirmed that opening the flap will just make it slightly louder below 3500RPM?

After doing this over a year ago I can confirm that this is the case, however it is not a night and day difference just slightly louder.