Want an A3, but which one?

MattS5

Reaction score
My wife is after an A3 to replace her current Mk 4 Golf Gti. She currently has the 1.8T so I assume the 2.0 FSI engine is probably a reasonable replacement in terms of performance?

In terms of spec, it must be:

5 door
ABS
ESP
Reasonable trim level inside and out
Look relativley sporty? (not too mundane)

It will only do around 8k per year, so diesel is probably not an option worth looking at.

I have no idea of the 8P A3 range, so what would you folks reccomend we look for in terms of model derivative please?

Budget is up to 8k and mileage around 50k would be fine.

The 8P range (in terms of trim / spec) basically goes like this:

SE / Sport / S-Line.
S-Line is the one to go for, but may just be out of your price range.

The 8P range (in terms of trim / spec) basically goes like this:

SE / Sport / S-Line.
S-Line is the one to go for, but may just be out of your price range.

S-line would be preferential, and I think petrol makes more sense than diesel as she'll not be re-mapping it. The initial cost of diesel to purchase will be higher and with the miles she'll travel, I doubt we'll recoup the extra outlay.

Good to hear the sport is mid range, I had a feeling it may be base model, but found this which looks ok. Shame its miles away from me though.

http://search.autotrader.co.uk/es-u...cleYearOfManufacture=2004&vehicleRegLetter=54

Here is a search for Audi A3, £7-8k up to 60,000 miles, priced low to high on Autotrader:

http://search.autotrader.co.uk/es-u...ostcode=mk43+9bu&radius=1501&showMoreOptions=

I changed the option to 'price high to low' and most cars are 2004-05, 1.6 FSI (don't bother) 2.0 TDi (these will be the 140bhp version as N8KOW highly recommends) or the 2.0FSI which I don't know much about, I haven't heard anything bad though.

A test drive is always the way to go!

EDIT: The S-Lines of this age did not have the bodykit fitted as standard so you may be paying a premium for a car that's only has a few differences to the Sport model.

with that mileage go for the 2.0t I have the TDi and its boring !

TBH, Best all rounder (performance, economy,) would be the 2.0 TDI :D

The boring comment is because the TDI only revs to 4500rpm, the engine doesnt sound very good and it actually feels like your going very slow but when you go up against something quick, thats when you know.

Personally, i love mine. Might get a milltek to make it sound a bit better but if you an get away from the fact they dont sound good - Id get one !

You say 8k a year - thats the kind of mileage i do (i only commute to and from manchester from liv every 2weeks)(about 250miles a month actually so i do less) and i cant remember the last time i filled up :S i regualrly get 450+ from a tank but if i drive economically, i could easily see agood 100 more...

I'd reccomend a 2.0 TDI Sport Sportback (2005) - but tbh, to get the best mpg out of a diesel, she will probably have to be on motorways for a fair bit of her yearly mileage. If she just commutes up the road to work/the shopping centre kind of thing then a petrol may be worth considering..

You can probs get a 2.0 FSI for your budget but not a 2.0T FSI.

HTHs

Here is a search for Audi A3, £7-8k up to 60,000 miles, priced low to high on Autotrader:

http://search.autotrader.co.uk/es-u...ostcode=mk43+9bu&radius=1501&showMoreOptions=

I changed the option to 'price high to low' and most cars are 2004-05, 1.6 FSI (don't bother) 2.0 TDi (these will be the 140bhp version as N8KOW highly recommends) or the 2.0FSI which I don't know much about, I haven't heard anything bad though.

A test drive is always the way to go!

EDIT: The S-Lines of this age did not have the bodykit fitted as standard so you may be paying a premium for a car that's only has a few differences to the Sport model.

Staz - you left your postcode in the link!!!

On the S-lines of that age, you get Rs6 wheels, lowered (and hard) suspension, S-line steering wheel and gearknob, S-Line badges, S-line doorsill and black headlining, S-Line half/full leathers which i thought was worth the 1.5k premium over the equivalent sport (when i was buying)

Its says bluefin in his sig :D

yep mapped and its reasonably quick but it just lacks something ..... oh and i'm down to 370 before the fuel light comes on .... I'd get to 450 in my golf with the same engine but manual.

I have a 2.0FSI, based on my experience it is a good engine with a fair amount of power. On a personal note I would really like the turbo version and am currently looking for a 2.0TFSI but based on what you have said I would say it is quite good choice. With regard to fuel consumption, I probably get about 350 miles off a full tank so economy isn't too bad either.

diesel is slightly more but overall you get almost double the mileage & its not double the cost is it or you'll be paying £2 a litre, so it truly is the best way to go 2.0tdi for the strife fella, I had a sport & the spec was better than some slines tbh, for her its a great car & tbh even 140 has a nice bit of power for her to drive around in & tbh a map increases the mpg on some & makes it a much better car to drive overall, so use some of the savings from the fuel for a map

But I've had an s3, s4 & vr6's & this is one of the best cars I've bought even if power isnt anywhere near previous ones, great car, economy & drive, cant complain at all

Yes you did, it says you live in the area NATIONAL, lol, sorry had a few

diesel is slightly more but overall you get almost double the mileage & its not double the cost is it or you'll be paying £2 a litre, so it truly is the best way to go 2.0tdi for the strife fella, I had a sport & the spec was better than some slines tbh, for her its a great car & tbh even 140 has a nice bit of power for her to drive around in & tbh a map increases the mpg on some & makes it a much better car to drive overall, so use some of the savings from the fuel for a map

But I've had an s3, s4 & vr6's & this is one of the best cars I've bought even if power isnt anywhere near previous ones, great car, economy & drive, cant complain at all

Well said. Love mine too.

i got a 20tfsi and its pretty good on fuel if you drive it right and when you put your foot down its rapid also no delay on power when you put your foot down like a diesel also doesn't sound like a transit van id go petrol all the way if you get it remapped and drive sensibly there meant to be great on petrol to i had a 1.6 07 a3 which got stolen and cos it had no 6 gear it was screaming over 70 80 and take off screaming also put you foot down in a 20t you roll off rapid im not joking my 20t is better than my 16 on petrol i no people will disagree and there right if i drive like gran mar but wrong on normal driving i t was terrible i now love my new car its the dogs