2.0 TDI ENGINE ON A3

vw754

vorsprung Durch Technik
Reaction score
got myself a 2.0tdi a3 sportback a few days back 2005 model
i find u can hear the engine in the cabin a lot more than my previous car (a4 1.9 tdi) is this normal

I've never driven an A4 1.9TDI so I cannot compare but the 2005 2.0TDI-140 was never a quiet engine. When I changed from a 2004 140-TDI to my current 2007 170-TDI I was pleasantly surprised how much quieter it was. I would assume any engine would be quiter in an A4 than an A3.

The latest Coomon-Rail version of the 2.0TDI are even quieter in both 140 and 170 versions.

Yeah, my friend has a 2006 A4 1.9 TDI and her's is a lot quiter compared to our A3s.

The A3 TDI engines are quite crude compared to other derv engines...

It's not that bad though - once mine warms up, its fairly quite..

The 140 engine is noisier than the 170. The old A4 was quieter, but being a more expensive car when new it may have better soundproofing.

The new A4 2.0TDi cabin is very very quiet even when cold, but outside the car there's no doubt it's a diesel.

Mine sounds like a friggin tractor, especially on cold mornings! Next door have got a GTI 1.9 150bhp and thats proper noisey too!

At the end of the day derv = noise!

Are the new engines quieter honestly or just better sound proofing, come on lets cut the spill & be blunt, lol

I read somewhere the other day that diesels will become noiser as its the only way to combat Co2 figs everyone is mad about these days, The new Vauxhall Insignia rattles like a diesel of old as a result.

However i also believe manufacturers are using less sound deadening to reduce weight and that also helps reduce Co2

Cheap tax = big company car sales!

i gto a A3 2.0tdi 3 door on a 04 reg adn you can tell first thing on a cold morning it is a diesel but after a while it is quietish

mines ok,once driving it,its sound just on tick over you can hear it more inside the cabin,its a quiet engine if reved up,just that little bit noiser on tickover if sitting at the lights.......p.s .....i think a rear wheel bearing is out so im on the hunt for the best deal!

Just like everyone says, the older 2.0TDI was a "pump duise" engine with direct injection and they are more noise and less smooth than other diesels. Compared to the latest "common rail" engines from Honda, BMW and Ford they are much more "diesel like".

The 170 and later 140s with the DPF particulate filter are new "common rail" designs and are smoother.

My wife calls my A3 "Trevor" which is a bit unkind but not really unfair.... (Trevor the Tractor....)

All that said, when you're inside the sound proofing is OK and you don't really notice much... - Although I did get driven in a 2005 S-clas Mercedes diesel taxi the other day and that was so smooth you really did think it was a petrol engine until you saw that the rev counter only went to 4500 rpm.... That was a different league altogether...

ok,my engine if i start first thing in the morning,does sound a bit rattly for about 5-10 seconds,after that it sounds like a normal diesel engine,i was told its the very cold weather were having and also (putting the weather aside) that its rattly (tractor sound) is that all the oil is sitting in the sump so when started any morning either hot and sunny or ice-cold its quite normal.........IS IT ?

2.0 TDI 16V 2005 BDK ENGINE

Someone else told me that keep an eye on the coolant,if the level drops then its the cylinder head,its drippin coolant on to the piston and when you start it in the morning thats what the noise is.....kind of freeked me out tbh.

Cars got full audi service history upto date,looses no coolant after driving it around 300 miles up and down a-roads.

once started in the morning after a few seconds sounds normal.......should i still worry? or are you guys in the same boat?
mileage is around 99k

ok,my engine if i start first thing in the morning,does sound a bit rattly for about 5-10 seconds,after that it sounds like a normal diesel engine,i was told its the very cold weather were having and also (putting the weather aside) that its rattly (tractor sound) is that all the oil is sitting in the sump so when started any morning either hot and sunny or ice-cold its quite normal.........IS IT ?

2.0 TDI 16V 2005 BDK ENGINE

Someone else told me that keep an eye on the coolant,if the level drops then its the cylinder head,its drippin coolant on to the piston and when you start it in the morning thats what the noise is.....kind of freeked me out tbh.

Cars got full audi service history upto date,looses no coolant after driving it around 300 miles up and down a-roads.

once started in the morning after a few seconds sounds normal.......should i still worry? or are you guys in the same boat?
mileage is around 99k

Mine just sounds like a transit but I'll give it a shot in the morning and see is it is a bit louder/rattley for the intial start...

I'm pretty sure mine doesnt though :S