bulbs

dmor8

Reaction score
hey
i want to upgrade my bulbs, having done a search the philips extreme bulbs seem to be the fav with audis. with my last car (fiat brava) the fav on the forums seemed to be the osram nightbreakers. i was just wondering if any one had tried them with an A3?
also im i right in thinking i need H7? and i need 4? 2 dipped and 2 main? and are the dipped and main the same kind of bulb just with more power going to them?
sorry for all the questions im only 6 month's into my driving so not a lot of experiance with cars yet!
cheers dave
p.s. i drive a 54 plate A3 2.0 fsi sport

It's not about more power going to them. With simple electrics you can't really control the current flow to something unless you change the voltage. Bulbs draw as much current as they need for the given voltage.

If the bulbs are the same then it's only the beam pattern that is changed, i.e. on dipped beam the beam is cut off at a height to only light the road and not the trees and everything else!

thanks for your help guys i have just orderd 3 pairs of h7 night breakers so thats main, dipped and fogs coverd. they come with some free side light bulbs (not sure on brand). if the freebies are not any good i shall be getting some PIAA side light bulbs.
ill change one side over fist and get some pics for comparison.
dave

My nighbreakers arrived yesterday and they were packed with genuine sidelights already in the same box.

Hi.
I have the oem halogen bulb's in my 07 a3. I've been doing some research and the philips extreme power and the osram nightbreaker seem to be the best ones. The osram seem to have a problem with the durability, so i was thinking of getting the philips extreme power but im not sure if they are really worth it and if i will notice the difference from the oem ones. From everybody that has or had them to replace the oem ones, did you noticed difference?
Thanks

I have used both (and many other). Yes they are very worth it and you will notice the difference.

They're almost twice as bright as the standard bulb and look much whiter from the outside too.

In an Autoexpress test, the extreme power and nightbreaker produced similar brightnes, but there were some inconsistencies in the focus and theerfore beam patern in different Osram bulbs, so the Phillips got the top slot in the test because every sample they tested was perfect.

I'm like a born again preacher selling the qualities of the Phillips Extreme... I've got the H7s in the A3 and the H4 versions in both my Yarii...

has anyone tried either of these?

PIAA XTREME WHITE H7 BULBS
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/PIAA-XTREME-W...arts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM?hash=item4838a09ebe

PIAA PLATINUM WHITE H7 BULBS
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/PIAA-PLATINUM...arts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM?hash=item4838a06f0b

Hi guys trying to rid my car of all the standard yellow bulbs, i recently fitted Philips H7 X-Treme Extreme Power 80% bulbs after hearing some good reviews

12972XPS2.gif

this then made my side lights look yellow as expected so i fitted
PIAA H222 Xtreme White Wedge

400231.jpg

after cleaning the blood up and getting the plasters out those sidelights are fiddly :crying: I sat back and admired my work but now i think these make the philips bulbs look yellow? :sadlike:
is it worth buying the PIAA H7 XTREME WHITE :weight_lift2: or is there better H7's out there to complete the look ?
400198.jpg

cheers
gary

audi a3 s line 2.0 tdi 170

ps

DRLs: PIAA H227 Xtreme White S25 Single 382 Bayonet 21 watt
£12.71 each purchased from hid.uk.com/priracing.com

i have seen these mentioned on the forum, where are th DRL@S LOCATED :think: i dont think I have these are they only on certain models

After a bit of research I fitted some Philips Blue Vision to my A3 last weekend and am very happy with the performance and overall appearance. I was after a Xenon look rather than outright brightness and I think the Blue Vision have achieved that.

I'd previously has some Powerbulbs PowerBlue bulbs in my last car (Audi TT 2.0T FSI), but they were no where near as good as these.

I haven't been able to remove the side lights for the free set of Philips Blue bulbs that they came with, but to be honest I quite like the white vs yellow contrast between the original bulbs and the new bulbs.

Hello.
When i started this thread i was about to change the headlights on my a3, but kept the oem ones e i started to like them better and im overall happy with the oem ones, but i know there is room for improvement, so this time i really want to change the headlights.
But now i found out that there are new lamps from osram and philips, the launched the "osram night breaker plus" and philips launched " philips extreme vision" and i got stuck in what to choose again. Does any of you have or know this two lights? which one is better? Or i should just go with one of the "old" ones?

I've always gone for Phillips Xtremes and can't fault them. Don't know what more the "vision" offers but can't see how it would even be possible to get a brighter light than the old xtremes emit without going xenon.

I upgraded mine last week. I went for Ring Ultra Xenon Plus in the dipped and main beams. I am impressed by the results so far. They are noticably brighter and whiter than standard bulbs...:yes:

There are much more pricey unfortunately. I did found the new night breaker plus on ebay around the same prince as the philips extreme power, but i don't know if they are worth it and if they last that much(they claim to last much longer, but i dont know).
Also, other thing that i would like to know is that if i only change the low beam( or main beams, im not sure what the proper name, but i think you know which one im refereeing to) lights to one of these, like for example the philips extreme power, is the difference of the other lamps colors noticeable? ( i have the a3 2007 oem lights) And during the day, is it noticeable any blue shadow? Because the extreme power have a little bit of blue on its glass so i was afraid of that being noticeable.
Thanks and since english is not my first language, i apologize for any mistake on my english.

The xtreme power do not give off any blue at all.

And for those thinking of changing their mainbeam bulbs too, I wouldn't bother. Apart from flashing them when else are they used. Not often.
Your normal driving lights (i.e. dipped beams and side lights) are the only ones worth changing IMO.

The xtreme power do not give off any blue at all.

And for those thinking of changing their mainbeam bulbs too, I wouldn't bother. Apart from flashing them when else are they used. Not often.
Your normal driving lights (i.e. dipped beams and side lights) are the only ones worth changing IMO.

Depends where you live as I can travel miles on main beam without turning them off (i.e. not passing any traffic) but then I live in the country but yes you do see the most benefit in doing the dipped beams.

Thanks for the answers.
The mainbeam i wasn't planing on changing it because i don't get long distances without pass by other cars, so there is not much need for changing it. What i was wondering is in terms of color, if it's noticeable a difference in color between the extreme power on the low-beams( or cursing lights, i don't know what the correct term for them are in English) and the parking lights ( which are also on when the low beams are).

Also, i know i was set to buy the extreme power, but what do you guys think about the philips bluevision and similar? I like the fact that they give a better white, but im afraid about blue reflection during the day with them turned off and im afraid that aren't as good in terms of light and all that to the extremes.

Last edited:
No one? I just want to know if i only change the low beams if it will be noticeable a difference in color to the parking lights, because they are on when the low beams are, so i don't know if i can buy only the low beams or i would have to buy a set for the parking lights as well.