Chris NottEM Tuning
Results 1 to 21 of 21
  1. #1
    Ash B's Avatar
    6th Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Cardiff
    Posts
    5,803

    Question/Advice/Help On Lowering...

    Hi all

    Most of you, probably seen i have new alloys on my car. But really need to lower it. I dont know any thing about lowering a car what brand to go for, how many mm i should go down by etc. As i dont want any rubbing issues. If some one could give me some advice Thanks


    Here some photo:




    Also Can i lower the front more then the back etc? Ride needs to be sitting right Thanks

    Ashley
    Last edited by Ash B; 4th January 2009 at 00:34.
    Dark Vader Half sibling - MyThread

  2. # ADS
    ADS
    Join Date
    Always
    Location
    Global
    Posts
    Many
     
  3. #2
    1st Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    291
    I would go for coilovers pal, then you can set the height to just what you want front and rear. If you go for lowering springs you get what your given


    08 Ibis S3, REVO stg2+, APR HPFP, Milltek TBE, ITG intake, BSH catch can, H&R springs, 19" MTM's, Lamin-x'd
    ???bhp, ???ft/lbs

  4. #3
    N8
    N8's Avatar
    Kowalski Details

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Salford, Manchester
    Posts
    17,129

    My Social Networking

    Add N8 on Facebook Visit N8's Instagram Channel
    Coilovers yes. If you got a spare 1k, free fitting on KW V3s from AMD I believe.

  5. #4
    1st Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    291
    The KW v3's are mint but quite expensive, I ran eibach PPS on my mk5 Golf GTi and they were brilliant for the money about 600quid I think, better ride and comfort than std. Sayin that by the time you've paid for fitting your gettin near the KW money
    Last edited by JustCharlie; 4th January 2009 at 00:31.


    08 Ibis S3, REVO stg2+, APR HPFP, Milltek TBE, ITG intake, BSH catch can, H&R springs, 19" MTM's, Lamin-x'd
    ???bhp, ???ft/lbs

  6. #5
    Ash B's Avatar
    6th Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Cardiff
    Posts
    5,803
    Hi thanks for the reply 'JustCharlie' & 'N8KOW'.
    Coilovers would be best but right now i dont have a spare 1k probably wont in till around july or june. Any other ideas? Or can i get Coilovers for a lower price?

    Thanks

    Ashley
    Dark Vader Half sibling - MyThread

  7. #6
    NHN
    NHN's Avatar
    Modmetractor

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Coding Something
    Posts
    27,029
    Urrrm yours isnt quattro is it Ash cause I have 30mm eibach pro's for quattro 4 weeks old, that would drop them lovely

    Also where are those rs6 wheels?

    OEM RETROFITS - CRUISE CONTROL - SAT NAV - BLUETOOTH - AMI - HEADLIGHT SYSTEMS

    PARKING SYSTEMS - DIAGNOSTICS - FAULT FINDING - BODYWORK - PAINTWORK

  8. #7
    VRStu's Avatar
    Just Looking

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Hampshire
    Posts
    1,064
    Simplest and cheapest for looks only will be swap the springs out for something like the Eibach but it won't do anything much for your handling and may cause the OEM dampers to wear more quickly.

    Next up is to change for some shorter reach stiffer dampers to compliment the springs, there are several options available.

    A good combo of ride height and handling as well as good for everyday driving without doing your back in would be the Koni FSD combined with the Eibach spring.

    Coilovers will give you adjustable ride height but do come and a price and judging by your comments probably a price you can't really afford.
    Stu.

    A4 3.0 TDi S-Line Quattro, 7 Speed S-Tronic, Quartz Grey, 19" Twin Spoke Alloys, Alcantara with Silver Stitching & Heating, Nav High, B & O, AMI, DAB, Parking Advanced & Rear View Camera, Advanced Keyless Entry, LED Interior Light Pack, Hill Hold Assist, Heated Electric Folding Mirrors, Through Load.

    Previous MY11 S3 Sportback Black Edition, S-Tronic, Ibis White.

  9. #8
    VRStu's Avatar
    Just Looking

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Hampshire
    Posts
    1,064
    Also if buying used make sure you buy the right setup - For a TDi you need TDi springs as the nose weight is greater.

    How about a set of OEM sport stuff from an S-Line or something that someone has removed.
    Stu.

    A4 3.0 TDi S-Line Quattro, 7 Speed S-Tronic, Quartz Grey, 19" Twin Spoke Alloys, Alcantara with Silver Stitching & Heating, Nav High, B & O, AMI, DAB, Parking Advanced & Rear View Camera, Advanced Keyless Entry, LED Interior Light Pack, Hill Hold Assist, Heated Electric Folding Mirrors, Through Load.

    Previous MY11 S3 Sportback Black Edition, S-Tronic, Ibis White.

  10. #9
    Ash B's Avatar
    6th Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Cardiff
    Posts
    5,803
    The s-line stuff would be pretty good going to have to look around now
    Thanks
    Ashley

    Quote Originally Posted by VRStu View Post
    Also if buying used make sure you buy the right setup - For a TDi you need TDi springs as the nose weight is greater.

    How about a set of OEM sport stuff from an S-Line or something that someone has removed.

    Hi Stu thanks for that mate. So far the Koni FSD combined with the Eibach spring. looking good a one. Where can i buy them? Know how much they actually cost.

    Quote Originally Posted by VRStu View Post
    Simplest and cheapest for looks only will be swap the springs out for something like the Eibach but it won't do anything much for your handling and may cause the OEM dampers to wear more quickly.

    Next up is to change for some shorter reach stiffer dampers to compliment the springs, there are several options available.

    A good combo of ride height and handling as well as good for everyday driving without doing your back in would be the Koni FSD combined with the Eibach spring.

    Coilovers will give you adjustable ride height but do come and a price and judging by your comments probably a price you can't really afford.

    Hi

    Nope not a quattro otherwise would have them. The Rs6 Alloys are in my Shed.

    Quote Originally Posted by NHN View Post
    Urrrm yours isnt quattro is it Ash cause I have 30mm eibach pro's for quattro 4 weeks old, that would drop them lovely

    Also where are those rs6 wheels?
    Dark Vader Half sibling - MyThread

  11. #10
    VRStu's Avatar
    Just Looking

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Hampshire
    Posts
    1,064
    The FSD's etc aren't cheap. I always use JKM but there are plenty of Koni/Eibach dealers around.

    370 + VAT for the FSD's - http://www.jkm.org.uk/performance/suspensionaudi.htm

    125 + VAT for the Eibachs - http://www.jkm.org.uk/performance/eibachaudi.htm

    I've had 2 cars with FSD's now and they are excellent.
    Stu.

    A4 3.0 TDi S-Line Quattro, 7 Speed S-Tronic, Quartz Grey, 19" Twin Spoke Alloys, Alcantara with Silver Stitching & Heating, Nav High, B & O, AMI, DAB, Parking Advanced & Rear View Camera, Advanced Keyless Entry, LED Interior Light Pack, Hill Hold Assist, Heated Electric Folding Mirrors, Through Load.

    Previous MY11 S3 Sportback Black Edition, S-Tronic, Ibis White.

  12. #11
    kaz219's Avatar
    6th Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Manchester/Liverpool Uni
    Posts
    1,796
    A few guys on the Golf forum have tried Jamex coilies and they're not too bad. On the mk5, they weren't that hard a ride and didnt handle all to bad.

    I think they are about 300ish with 1 years gurantee...

    http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Jamex-Coilover...1%7C240%3A1318

    I'm sure a 50mm drop will be good enough..

    it may be worth researching into these but i was actually going to buy a set of jamex for my previous golf (But a branded set came up cheap so i bought them!)

    Has anyone else used these ?
    Audi A3 S-Line DSG - sold
    Golf Mk4 Autograph - sold
    Currently Vtec'in around in an Accord Type R :P

    For Sale: ST3 Remap Console - PM Me :P
    Vagcom'd too

  13. #12
    kaz219's Avatar
    6th Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Manchester/Liverpool Uni
    Posts
    1,796
    These guys say they're pretty good:

    http://uk-mkivs.net/forums/p/94156/672127.aspx#672127

    I think they could be good coilies for people on a budget ...
    Audi A3 S-Line DSG - sold
    Golf Mk4 Autograph - sold
    Currently Vtec'in around in an Accord Type R :P

    For Sale: ST3 Remap Console - PM Me :P
    Vagcom'd too

  14. #13
    Ash B's Avatar
    6th Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Cardiff
    Posts
    5,803
    Alright Kaz...Nice one for looking that up for me. Yeah had a good look over the Golf Forum few people seem to have them and that Jamex Coilies seem to be getting good feedback for the price they are at. Will do a bit more research thanks for that. How much you reckon i should drop the front and the back? As i dont want any rubbing issues or any thing. much appreciated ashley


    Quote Originally Posted by kaz219 View Post
    A few guys on the Golf forum have tried Jamex coilies and they're not too bad. On the mk5, they weren't that hard a ride and didnt handle all to bad.

    I think they are about 300ish with 1 years gurantee...

    http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Jamex-Coilover...1%7C240%3A1318

    I'm sure a 50mm drop will be good enough..

    it may be worth researching into these but i was actually going to buy a set of jamex for my previous golf (But a branded set came up cheap so i bought them!)

    Has anyone else used these ?
    Nice one for that Stu for the price dont look to bad. And seeing you had them on both of your cars must be pretty good. How the car handling and every thing after they were fitted? much appreciated ashley

    Quote Originally Posted by VRStu View Post
    The FSD's etc aren't cheap. I always use JKM but there are plenty of Koni/Eibach dealers around.

    370 + VAT for the FSD's - http://www.jkm.org.uk/performance/suspensionaudi.htm

    125 + VAT for the Eibachs - http://www.jkm.org.uk/performance/eibachaudi.htm

    I've had 2 cars with FSD's now and they are excellent.
    Dark Vader Half sibling - MyThread

  15. #14
    VRStu's Avatar
    Just Looking

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Hampshire
    Posts
    1,064
    The main thing with the FSD's and the reason they are more expensive than other shock absorbers is the technology they use - Frequency Selective Damping (FSD).

    http://www.koni.com/190.html

    It gives you the best of both worlds - tight handling when you need it but without the bone shaking normally associated with lowered/stiffened suspension.
    Stu.

    A4 3.0 TDi S-Line Quattro, 7 Speed S-Tronic, Quartz Grey, 19" Twin Spoke Alloys, Alcantara with Silver Stitching & Heating, Nav High, B & O, AMI, DAB, Parking Advanced & Rear View Camera, Advanced Keyless Entry, LED Interior Light Pack, Hill Hold Assist, Heated Electric Folding Mirrors, Through Load.

    Previous MY11 S3 Sportback Black Edition, S-Tronic, Ibis White.

  16. #15
    kaz219's Avatar
    6th Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Manchester/Liverpool Uni
    Posts
    1,796
    Janspeed or soemthing like that are a uk supplier of them and they give guaratees - If you were thinking Jamex, may be worth contacting them :D
    Audi A3 S-Line DSG - sold
    Golf Mk4 Autograph - sold
    Currently Vtec'in around in an Accord Type R :P

    For Sale: ST3 Remap Console - PM Me :P
    Vagcom'd too

  17. #16
    NHN
    NHN's Avatar
    Modmetractor

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Coding Something
    Posts
    27,029
    Ash just give Damian a shout at dpm, I got my fsd's from there, very helpful indeed Ash, recommend anyday & he does many different suspension kits/setups

    OEM RETROFITS - CRUISE CONTROL - SAT NAV - BLUETOOTH - AMI - HEADLIGHT SYSTEMS

    PARKING SYSTEMS - DIAGNOSTICS - FAULT FINDING - BODYWORK - PAINTWORK

  18. #17
    N8
    N8's Avatar
    Kowalski Details

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Salford, Manchester
    Posts
    17,129

    My Social Networking

    Add N8 on Facebook Visit N8's Instagram Channel
    COILOVERSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS SSSSSSS

  19. #18
    1st Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    133
    Sorry for jumping in on this thread but Im also interested in lowering my 1.9tdi sport 05 Sportback and was wondering if anybody can answer my question.

    I only want to buy springs and have looked at Eibach but theres one thing bothering me. On JKM website (link posted earlier) there is no distinction between SE, Sport, or S-line. By my crude measurement the SE models are at least 30mm higher than my Sport and a workmates Sportback 2.0tdi S-line is approx 10mm lower than mine.


    The Sportback application for my category (1.9TDI) is -30mm but has anybody a clue what thats based on given it also includes petrol cars that could be SEs??

    <<1.4 TFSI, 1.6 automatic gear box, 2.0 FSI, 1.9 TDI (CODE: E10-15-007-06-22)>>

    Sorry if Im missing something but im confused?

  20. #19
    Ash B's Avatar
    6th Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Cardiff
    Posts
    5,803
    Thanks for that Kaz will contact them

    Quote Originally Posted by kaz219 View Post
    Janspeed or soemthing like that are a uk supplier of them and they give guaratees - If you were thinking Jamex, may be worth contacting them :D

    Nigel thanks for that mate. Have Pm Daminan to see what he can do. Thanks

    Quote Originally Posted by NHN View Post
    Ash just give Damian a shout at dpm, I got my fsd's from there, very helpful indeed Ash, recommend anyday & he does many different suspension kits/setups
    Dark Vader Half sibling - MyThread

  21. #20
    6th Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Telford
    Posts
    2,488
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul_c View Post
    Sorry for jumping in on this thread but Im also interested in lowering my 1.9tdi sport 05 Sportback and was wondering if anybody can answer my question.

    I only want to buy springs and have looked at Eibach but theres one thing bothering me. On JKM website (link posted earlier) there is no distinction between SE, Sport, or S-line. By my crude measurement the SE models are at least 30mm higher than my Sport and a workmates Sportback 2.0tdi S-line is approx 10mm lower than mine.


    The Sportback application for my category (1.9TDI) is -30mm but has anybody a clue what thats based on given it also includes petrol cars that could be SEs??

    <<1.4 TFSI, 1.6 automatic gear box, 2.0 FSI, 1.9 TDI (CODE: E10-15-007-06-22)>>

    Sorry if Im missing something but im confused?
    Yeah the springs height reductions are based on the standard model height in all cases. If i bought -30mm springs for my S line chances are it might actually higher it!
    B6 1.8T Avant s line gmbh

  22. #21
    Ash B's Avatar
    6th Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Cardiff
    Posts
    5,803
    Hi Paul i would contact them and then maybe they can tell you which product would be best for your Sportsback Sport. My SE is a Petrol


    Quote Originally Posted by Paul_c View Post
    Sorry for jumping in on this thread but Im also interested in lowering my 1.9tdi sport 05 Sportback and was wondering if anybody can answer my question.

    I only want to buy springs and have looked at Eibach but theres one thing bothering me. On JKM website (link posted earlier) there is no distinction between SE, Sport, or S-line. By my crude measurement the SE models are at least 30mm higher than my Sport and a workmates Sportback 2.0tdi S-line is approx 10mm lower than mine.

    The Sportback application for my category (1.9TDI) is -30mm but has anybody a clue what thats based on given it also includes petrol cars that could be SEs??

    <<1.4 TFSI, 1.6 automatic gear box, 2.0 FSI, 1.9 TDI (CODE: E10-15-007-06-22)>>

    Sorry if Im missing something but im confused?
    Dark Vader Half sibling - MyThread

 

 

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO

Garage Plus, Vendor Tools vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO