Chris NottEM Tuning
    6th Gear

Status

Question/Advice/Help On Lowering...

Hi all

Most of you, probably seen i have new alloys on my car. But really need to lower it. I dont know any thing about lowering a car what brand to go for, how many mm i should go down by etc. As i dont want any rubbing issues. If some one could give me some advice Thanks

Here some photo:

Also Can i lower the front more then the back etc? Ride needs to be sitting right Thanks

Ashley
    Last edited by Ash B; 4th January 2009 at 00:34.
    Dark Vader Half sibling - MyThread

2. # ADS
    ADS

1st Gear

Status
    I would go for coilovers pal, then you can set the height to just what you want front and rear. If you go for lowering springs you get what your given

08 Ibis S3, REVO stg2+, APR HPFP, Milltek TBE, ITG intake, BSH catch can, H&R springs, 19" MTM's, Lamin-x'd
    ???bhp, ???ft/lbs

N8
    Kowalski Details

Status

My Social Networking

Add N8 on Facebook Visit N8's Instagram Channel
    Coilovers yes. If you got a spare 1k, free fitting on KW V3s from AMD I believe.

1st Gear

Status
    The KW v3's are mint but quite expensive, I ran eibach PPS on my mk5 Golf GTi and they were brilliant for the money about 600quid I think, better ride and comfort than std. Sayin that by the time you've paid for fitting your gettin near the KW money
    Last edited by JustCharlie; 4th January 2009 at 00:31.

08 Ibis S3, REVO stg2+, APR HPFP, Milltek TBE, ITG intake, BSH catch can, H&R springs, 19" MTM's, Lamin-x'd
    ???bhp, ???ft/lbs

6th Gear

Status
    Hi thanks for the reply 'JustCharlie' & 'N8KOW'.
    Coilovers would be best but right now i dont have a spare 1k probably wont in till around july or june. Any other ideas? Or can i get Coilovers for a lower price?

Thanks

Ashley

NHN
    Modmetractor

Status
    Urrrm yours isnt quattro is it Ash cause I have 30mm eibach pro's for quattro 4 weeks old, that would drop them lovely

Also where are those rs6 wheels?

OEM RETROFITS - CRUISE CONTROL - SAT NAV - BLUETOOTH - AMI - HEADLIGHT SYSTEMS

PARKING SYSTEMS - DIAGNOSTICS - FAULT FINDING - BODYWORK - PAINTWORK

Just Looking

Status
    Simplest and cheapest for looks only will be swap the springs out for something like the Eibach but it won't do anything much for your handling and may cause the OEM dampers to wear more quickly.

Next up is to change for some shorter reach stiffer dampers to compliment the springs, there are several options available.

A good combo of ride height and handling as well as good for everyday driving without doing your back in would be the Koni FSD combined with the Eibach spring.

Coilovers will give you adjustable ride height but do come and a price and judging by your comments probably a price you can't really afford.
    Stu.

A4 3.0 TDi S-Line Quattro, 7 Speed S-Tronic, Quartz Grey, 19" Twin Spoke Alloys, Alcantara with Silver Stitching & Heating, Nav High, B & O, AMI, DAB, Parking Advanced & Rear View Camera, Advanced Keyless Entry, LED Interior Light Pack, Hill Hold Assist, Heated Electric Folding Mirrors, Through Load.

Previous MY11 S3 Sportback Black Edition, S-Tronic, Ibis White.

Just Looking

Status
    Also if buying used make sure you buy the right setup - For a TDi you need TDi springs as the nose weight is greater.

How about a set of OEM sport stuff from an S-Line or something that someone has removed.
    Stu.

A4 3.0 TDi S-Line Quattro, 7 Speed S-Tronic, Quartz Grey, 19" Twin Spoke Alloys, Alcantara with Silver Stitching & Heating, Nav High, B & O, AMI, DAB, Parking Advanced & Rear View Camera, Advanced Keyless Entry, LED Interior Light Pack, Hill Hold Assist, Heated Electric Folding Mirrors, Through Load.

6th Gear

Status
    The s-line stuff would be pretty good going to have to look around now
    Thanks
    Ashley

Quote Originally Posted by VRStu View Post
    Also if buying used make sure you buy the right setup - For a TDi you need TDi springs as the nose weight is greater.

How about a set of OEM sport stuff from an S-Line or something that someone has removed.

Hi Stu thanks for that mate. So far the Koni FSD combined with the Eibach spring. looking good a one. Where can i buy them? Know how much they actually cost.

Simplest and cheapest for looks only will be swap the springs out for something like the Eibach but it won't do anything much for your handling and may cause the OEM dampers to wear more quickly.

Next up is to change for some shorter reach stiffer dampers to compliment the springs, there are several options available.

A good combo of ride height and handling as well as good for everyday driving without doing your back in would be the Koni FSD combined with the Eibach spring.

Coilovers will give you adjustable ride height but do come and a price and judging by your comments probably a price you can't really afford.

Hi

Nope not a quattro otherwise would have them. The Rs6 Alloys are in my Shed.

Quote Originally Posted by NHN View Post
    Urrrm yours isnt quattro is it Ash cause I have 30mm eibach pro's for quattro 4 weeks old, that would drop them lovely

Also where are those rs6 wheels?

Just Looking

Status
    The FSD's etc aren't cheap. I always use JKM but there are plenty of Koni/Eibach dealers around.

370 + VAT for the FSD's - http://www.jkm.org.uk/performance/suspensionaudi.htm

125 + VAT for the Eibachs - http://www.jkm.org.uk/performance/eibachaudi.htm

I've had 2 cars with FSD's now and they are excellent.
    Stu.

6th Gear

Status
    A few guys on the Golf forum have tried Jamex coilies and they're not too bad. On the mk5, they weren't that hard a ride and didnt handle all to bad.

I think they are about 300ish with 1 years gurantee...

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Jamex-Coilover...1%7C240%3A1318

I'm sure a 50mm drop will be good enough..

it may be worth researching into these but i was actually going to buy a set of jamex for my previous golf (But a branded set came up cheap so i bought them!)

Has anyone else used these ?
    Audi A3 S-Line DSG - sold
    Golf Mk4 Autograph - sold
    Currently Vtec'in around in an Accord Type R :P

For Sale: ST3 Remap Console - PM Me :P
    Vagcom'd too

6th Gear

Status
    These guys say they're pretty good:

http://uk-mkivs.net/forums/p/94156/672127.aspx#672127

I think they could be good coilies for people on a budget ...

Vagcom'd too

6th Gear

Status
    Alright Kaz...Nice one for looking that up for me. Yeah had a good look over the Golf Forum few people seem to have them and that Jamex Coilies seem to be getting good feedback for the price they are at. Will do a bit more research thanks for that. How much you reckon i should drop the front and the back? As i dont want any rubbing issues or any thing. much appreciated ashley

Quote Originally Posted by kaz219 View Post
    A few guys on the Golf forum have tried Jamex coilies and they're not too bad. On the mk5, they weren't that hard a ride and didnt handle all to bad.

I think they are about 300ish with 1 years gurantee...

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Jamex-Coilover...1%7C240%3A1318

I'm sure a 50mm drop will be good enough..

it may be worth researching into these but i was actually going to buy a set of jamex for my previous golf (But a branded set came up cheap so i bought them!)

Has anyone else used these ?
    Nice one for that Stu for the price dont look to bad. And seeing you had them on both of your cars must be pretty good. How the car handling and every thing after they were fitted? much appreciated ashley

The FSD's etc aren't cheap. I always use JKM but there are plenty of Koni/Eibach dealers around.

370 + VAT for the FSD's - http://www.jkm.org.uk/performance/suspensionaudi.htm

125 + VAT for the Eibachs - http://www.jkm.org.uk/performance/eibachaudi.htm

I've had 2 cars with FSD's now and they are excellent.

Just Looking

Status
    The main thing with the FSD's and the reason they are more expensive than other shock absorbers is the technology they use - Frequency Selective Damping (FSD).

http://www.koni.com/190.html

It gives you the best of both worlds - tight handling when you need it but without the bone shaking normally associated with lowered/stiffened suspension.
    Stu.

6th Gear

Status
    Janspeed or soemthing like that are a uk supplier of them and they give guaratees - If you were thinking Jamex, may be worth contacting them :D

Vagcom'd too

NHN
    Modmetractor

Status
    Ash just give Damian a shout at dpm, I got my fsd's from there, very helpful indeed Ash, recommend anyday & he does many different suspension kits/setups

OEM RETROFITS - CRUISE CONTROL - SAT NAV - BLUETOOTH - AMI - HEADLIGHT SYSTEMS

PARKING SYSTEMS - DIAGNOSTICS - FAULT FINDING - BODYWORK - PAINTWORK

N8
    Kowalski Details

Status

My Social Networking

Add N8 on Facebook Visit N8's Instagram Channel
    COILOVERSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS SSSSSSS

1st Gear

Status
    Sorry for jumping in on this thread but Im also interested in lowering my 1.9tdi sport 05 Sportback and was wondering if anybody can answer my question.

I only want to buy springs and have looked at Eibach but theres one thing bothering me. On JKM website (link posted earlier) there is no distinction between SE, Sport, or S-line. By my crude measurement the SE models are at least 30mm higher than my Sport and a workmates Sportback 2.0tdi S-line is approx 10mm lower than mine.

The Sportback application for my category (1.9TDI) is -30mm but has anybody a clue what thats based on given it also includes petrol cars that could be SEs??

<<1.4 TFSI, 1.6 automatic gear box, 2.0 FSI, 1.9 TDI (CODE: E10-15-007-06-22)>>

Sorry if Im missing something but im confused?

6th Gear

Status
    Thanks for that Kaz will contact them

Quote Originally Posted by kaz219 View Post
    Janspeed or soemthing like that are a uk supplier of them and they give guaratees - If you were thinking Jamex, may be worth contacting them :D

Nigel thanks for that mate. Have Pm Daminan to see what he can do. Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by NHN View Post
    Ash just give Damian a shout at dpm, I got my fsd's from there, very helpful indeed Ash, recommend anyday & he does many different suspension kits/setups

6th Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul_c View Post
    Sorry for jumping in on this thread but Im also interested in lowering my 1.9tdi sport 05 Sportback and was wondering if anybody can answer my question.

I only want to buy springs and have looked at Eibach but theres one thing bothering me. On JKM website (link posted earlier) there is no distinction between SE, Sport, or S-line. By my crude measurement the SE models are at least 30mm higher than my Sport and a workmates Sportback 2.0tdi S-line is approx 10mm lower than mine.

The Sportback application for my category (1.9TDI) is -30mm but has anybody a clue what thats based on given it also includes petrol cars that could be SEs??

Yeah the springs height reductions are based on the standard model height in all cases. If i bought -30mm springs for my S line chances are it might actually higher it!
    B6 1.8T Avant s line gmbh

6th Gear

Status
    Hi Paul i would contact them and then maybe they can tell you which product would be best for your Sportsback Sport. My SE is a Petrol

Quote Originally Posted by Paul_c View Post