Bluefin???

matbomb

Reaction score
I'm looking to get a remap on the shortly expected A3 2.0 TDI, I like the looks of the Bluefin as you can put the remap on your self and return ECU to standard as well.

Is the bluefin a 1 time use only? i.e. if you return back to standard can you use your bluefin to remap again? If so what would stop you buying 1 bluefin the remapping all your mates cars? Obviously I'm shaw bluefin are way ahead on this, so just how does it work??

I only post this cos superchips (bluefin) are closed and theres a 20% discount until midnight. So I would like to order one today but would also like the above answered. Cheers

mat

You can put the Bluefin on and off as much as you like, think they've also improved it, so your ECU flash count doesn't go up either. When you 1st use the unit, the Bluefin downloads your ECU's factory settings, and they're also backed up at Superchips HQ, should your unit be lost/malfunction at any time. Once this initial download is done, the unit is now tailored to your car and cannot be used on another. If you buy another car, Superchips can enable it, so the unit can be used again, not too sure how much they charge. Know it's alot cheaper than buying a new Bluefin though.

I'm considering one of these aswell to top up my 1.9 TDI. What do you mean by "so your ECU flash count doesn't go up either". As my car is still under manufacturers warrenty could they tell that you have used one of these?

Thanks

Neil

I'm considering one of these aswell to top up my 1.9 TDI. What do you mean by "so your ECU flash count doesn't go up either". As my car is still under manufacturers warrenty could they tell that you have used one of these?

Thanks

Neil

I don't think anyone has been caught out in this way, but in theory, yes they could tell if you'd flashed your ECU even if you returned it to normal. There was talk that Superchips had a solution but I'm not 100% sure its been implemented. I'm willing to bow to Hallam's superior knowledge on this matter though :)

I know Superchips have definitely fixed the Flash counter on the S3 Bluefin, as I spoke to Jamie at Superchips about it. Not 100% on their other ranges though, I would have thought so.

OK, so once you have used it , it will pair it's self with that ECU and you can on/off the remap as many times as you like.

Can anyone who has used this speak of the gains, on superchips web site they claim an extra 37bhp :unsure:
Has anyone ever put there car on a rolling road before and after.......

OK, so once you have used it , it will pair it's self with that ECU and you can on/off the remap as many times as you like.

Can anyone who has used this speak of the gains, on superchips web site they claim an extra 37bhp :unsure:
Has anyone ever put there car on a rolling road before and after.......

I'm not usually one to say this, but have a search. Theres literally hundreds of posts on the subject and how it compares to others (GIAC for example). There was a whole load of users who put their cars on a rolling road and posted results on here.

I think I'm right in saying that many 8P S3's are leaving the factories with significantly higher than quoted BHP so people don't notice too much of an increase in that respect. However, the midrange pull is improved. For all-out increase in HP, Bluefin probably isn't the way to go.

Mat,

Take a look at the link in my signature to VCDS as this will give you an idea of the gains to expect. I've emailed my graph to Jamie at Superchips and he said that's pretty much spot on for my car - any more and I'd be leaving massive clouds of black smoke behind me when I plant my right foot :laugh:.

I'm guessing you're getting the new common rail diesel in your car, so the figures might be slightly different as mine is an 'old' engine now, but it should give you an idea.

EDIT: Just seen another of your posts Mat, so it won't be the new common rail engine but the same plant as mine so you should easily see 30bhp+.

VCDS looks good and I take guess the car feels like it's gained a whole lot more.

I have just been searching Bluefin for past half hour and most people notice a difference but a couple say they expected more, so still alittle unsure.... what you MPG like now it's remapped?

I've also been looking at the ST3 chippedUK and that looks good, confussed now and the 20% discount ends tonight with Bluefin..... :keule:

You really notice the torque increase - nice to be able to put your foot down in 6th at 50 and the car just pulls like a train. You really notice it 3rd gear upwards.

In terms of MPG, I get 45mpg upwards no problem - if I'm good I see 48/49 - that's not taken from the DIS either, but me working it out!

I know a number of folks have been very happy with the ST3 map - I can't comment from personal experience, but I'm sure you'll be happy with either option.

The Bluefin 20% discount has been extended through January now. IIRC it's £390 from Superchips directly and I also know that JKM are doing it for £390 and give £30 of JKM vouchers to spend. So no need to rush to decide yet.

You really notice the torque increase - nice to be able to put your foot down in 6th at 50 and the car just pulls like a train. You really notice it 3rd gear upwards.

In terms of MPG, I get 45mpg upwards no problem - if I'm good I see 48/49 - that's not taken from the DIS either, but me working it out!

I know a number of folks have been very happy with the ST3 map - I can't comment from personal experience, but I'm sure you'll be happy with either option.

Thanks the the reply I was hoping for, so either or.... Do you get a hand set thingy with ST3?

The GF picks her A3 up a week to day, she can barley sleep lol.

A forum friend had both the bluefin and St3 and he said the bluefin coud be a bit too agressive.

I bought the ST3 with the fast map and race map and the stock map will be on the unit so i can put back to standard.

The race map is meant to have a lot of low end tourqe. There's also the economy map which focuses more on max mpg. Fast road is a comprimise of both and race is jsut max power within limits!

I got mine for £300 with a forum discount on uk-mkivs! join up and get the discount and there are many good reviews on there about it.

So far, i have only read one negative review and that were on a seat leon tdi 170 where the dpf had issues but chipped uk gave a full refund and they even tweeked the map for him a few times...

Here's a good review on the same engine as mine: http://uk-mkivs.net/forums/t/189721.aspx

there;s there section: http://uk-mkivs.net/forums/151.aspx

And simon, the dude who served me has been awesome. Top notch customer service and there's a guarantee if anything messes up as a result of the remap!

HTHs - I'll give a proper review once my exams and assignents are finsished and i put teh unit on the car ! (Feb-ish)