S-Tronic Launch control?

Igdos

Reaction score
Can anyone tell me if all S-Tronic A3s have launch control? Looking at the manual it says 'applies to vehicles with launch control and S tronic gearbox', seems to suggest that it's an option....? Would like to know for sure before trying it out!

Is it only for the S3 or all models? I've got a 2.0 TDI Sport.

My DSG has it so i doubt they have removed a function for the newer models

.......however i have absolutely no idea why you need it in a diesel hatch!

Doesn't work on my 06 TDI, works fine on the 3.2 not tested the 2.0T.

What ???

Could that mean mine has it ?

Why didnt no one tell me?

:jump:

Sorry man, they dont have it .... i wouldent advice you to try it nither as all you'll do it stress out your clutch. It is only the petrols that have it not TDIs

Well im 90% sure :readit:

Sorry man, they dont have it .... i wouldent advice you to try it nither as all you'll do it stress out your clutch. It is only the petrols that have it not TDIs

Well im 90% sure :readit:

Dont get me wrong - i wont be doing it on every traffic light but just wanted to know whether mine had it? :D

Lee's A3 is a TDI and there's a few TDIs on youtube doing it.... hmmm :busted_cop:

Yes I was told by the dealer all DSG TDI's have it. I tried 2. They both had it!

I've only used it once, its scary! :racer:

Thanks for the replies guys - went out and tried it today...won't be doing it again! Doesn't have it!! :3sadwalk:

It's 2.0 TDI 140 CR BTW. Revs are limited to 1400, should be up to 2000rpm for a diesel engine according to the manual - and from what I saw on YouTube.

So no luck - should make it clearer in the manual IMO.

Thanks for the replies guys - went out and tried it today...won't be doing it again! Doesn't have it!! :3sadwalk:

It's 2.0 TDI 140 CR BTW. Revs are limited to 1400, should be up to 2000rpm for a diesel engine according to the manual - and from what I saw on YouTube.

So no luck - should make it clearer in the manual IMO.

Theres a vid on youtube that says you can enable it throught the dealer which suggest you may be able to do it via vagcom.

I need to look into vagcom but im in the TT today but while i was reversing the A3 out the drive, i turned trac control off, into S and it only revved to 1500rpm but this may be due to the car being cold.

I'll warm it up and take it for a spin when i get a mo..

I wounder if its only some that have it. MAYBE a remap would enable it ?

My St3 is in post so i should have it by the 2nd. I'll let the car warm up and try it then and if not, I'll remap it and give it a shot with that..

LoL a good exuse for a remap :lmfao: I think I'll do same to double check ::happy:

Lol :lmfao:

Hate all these hols though - ordered in on the 23rd and it was posted on teh 23rd but still not got it.... :(

Cant believe i just said the first bit :D

I tried this in my 2.0T DSG earlier and Im not sure if it worked. I felt it start to pull and i pussied out!!! haha. I think the car may have been cold though. According to the manual all DSG's (6 speed auto & S tronic) have launch control!

I'm pretty sure that if you can't rev up to 3000 RPM in the start position you don't have it. Mine will only rev as far as 1400 RPM too so I didn't bother trying releasing the brake... the poor gearbox would probably have a heart attack if I did. Tried it both in S and tiptronic as well...

Tried it both in S and tiptronic as well...

You must be in 'S' and you must have ESP turned off. Otherwise it won't work. Put your fut hard down on the brake and floor the accelerator. If it redlines then you don't have it - the computer should hold the revs at around 3000 automatically (so long as you're in 'S' with ESP turned off naturally)

M

but it holds at 1500rpm even though you're flooring the accelerator? Well maybe it only holds at 3000rpm on the petrol because that's the optimum time to drop the clutch. Perhaps with Diesels (and the resulting torque) then 1500rpm is the place to start.

Before anyone says anything mean; I don't know i'm just conjecturing!

There also seems to be a 1 sec pause when you let go of the clutch and the revs seem to drop a few 100.

Im up for the idea of it being enabled with a remap

Magnus, when you talk about it holding the revs do you mean it holds the throttle open (locked) at that RPM or that they dont fall off.

I'm 99% sure I dont have it. Can anyone confirm whether it can be enabled via Vag yet?

Checking it, my manual says diesel launch control puts revs up to 2000rpm, on a petrol up to 3000rpm. :readit:

On mine revs only go to about 1400 (diesel), I think this must be limited to protect the clutch/engine otherwise if it allowed it to redline it and dropping the brake could cause some serious damage?

Alll YouTube vids show TDIs that claim to have it stabilise on the nose at the 2000rpm mark.

Will ask dealer whether it can be programmed in next time - must be able to as surely it's software function that can be added?

Checking it, my manual says diesel launch control puts revs up to 2000rpm, on a petrol up to 3000rpm. :readit:

On mine revs only go to about 1400 (diesel), I think this must be limited to protect the clutch/engine otherwise if it allowed it to redline it and dropping the brake could cause some serious damage?

Alll YouTube vids show TDIs that claim to have it stabilise on the nose at the 2000rpm mark.

Will ask dealer whether it can be programmed in next time - must be able to as surely it's software function that can be added?

I read on a forum that you can make the rev limiter go higher on a tdi...it was an american one...

However, my remap is defo defo coming tuesday. They delivered it but no one was in so going to wait in for it :D

I'll give it a shot and see how it goes.

LOL - This threads going to result in lots of ragged A3s now or speeding tickets :racer: !!

Ive just bought an A3 3.2 DSG S-LINE and havent got a clue if its got launch control or not. its a 54 plate and as its my new baby im scared of breaking it lol! can anyone with any knowledge out there advise me please?

many thanks Chris.:greyrs4:

Ive just bought an A3 3.2 DSG S-LINE and havent got a clue if its got launch control or not. its a 54 plate and as its my new baby im scared of breaking it lol! can anyone with any knowledge out there advise me please?

many thanks Chris.:greyrs4:

Mine is on 04 plate, and it does have launch control. Only used it a couple of times to see how it works, not something I can see any use for in everyday driving!!