Upgraded Brake Discs For 2.0TDI A3

Lance-22

A3TDI
Reaction score
Hi all, ive been searching all morning for some info on this but cant find anything relevant to my question. Where can i buy some new discs for my 2.0tdi a3 from? I want drilled/grooved or combi if possible..would also like some upgraded pads too, just cant find anyone who sells them?

Awesome GTI will be able to help. But in all honesty, Ive found drilled and grooved discs to be a complete waste of money, ive found genuine discs and pads just as good.

If you intend to stay with the stock brake set up uprated pads will make a lot more difference then having drill/grooved discs. Ferrodo DS2500 pads are very good.

devonmikeyboy, would you recomend those Ferrodo pads with genuine discs?

devonmikeyboy, would you recomend those Ferrodo pads with genuine discs?
Yes DS2500 pads will work well with your stock discs. They are not cheap but they are the best pads to get if you push your car hard and want to keep the stock brake set up.

Yes DS2500 pads will work well with your stock discs. They are not cheap but they are the best pads to get if you push your car hard and want to keep the stock brake set up.

just been looking at the prices, and your not wrong!!! they ok for normal daily use too?

DS2500 are good road pads. Have used them on my last three cars. When i last looked DS2500 fro my big brake kit was just over £220 + VAT a pair. What price are they for stock calipes?

persoanlly mate, if you want more braking power - Id go 345mm set up (mine cost around £300 complete)

If you want slightly more brakinbg power, you just need pads. The discs dont really make a difference apart from the drilled ones are a bit lighter (apparently)

Bigger is always better i agree. Holes and grooves are put on discs to help the gases escape that build up under the pad, no other reason or advantage.

i will be doing the 312mm conversion in the next few weeks. Seen the DS2500's for appx £115.

just been looking at www.motorsportworld.co.uk who sell these pads and for the A3 the list the same part number as the MK5 GTI but for the audi's they say the check the shape of the pad as there is different ones? Would the MK5 GTI pads fit the A3 2.0TDI?

Give me a few minutes and i will go and take a photo of my OEM pads that came with my car.

002-1.jpg

http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a257/devonmikeyboy/003-1.jpg

http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a257/devonmikeyboy/004-1.jpg

http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a257/devonmikeyboy/005-2.jpg

thanks for that. much appreciated. will send them pics to motorsport world when i come to order.

personally, i would have not thought the pads off a mk5 GTI would fit the standard A3 brakes as the a3 are a 288 setuo IIrc and golf is a 312setup but the golf will defo fit your upgraded 312 set up

persoanlly mate, if you want more braking power - Id go 345mm set up (mine cost around £300 complete)

If you want slightly more brakinbg power, you just need pads. The discs dont really make a difference apart from the drilled ones are a bit lighter (apparently)

well it is as much about aesthetics as it is braking power tbh, as my 19" wheels really expose the brakes, so i thought drilled and grooved discs would be the easiest option. i would love to do big brake conversion but again i wouldnt really know where to get the parts from? and i still cant find anywhere that sells drilled/grooved discs for my car anyway :think:

Here's the parts you need:

- brake caliper left blue > 1K0 615 123 G
- brake caliper right blue > 1K0 615 124 G
- caliper carrier blue > 1K0 615 125 F
- retaining spring > 4F0 615 269
- brake disc ventilated 345x30 5/112 > 1K0 615 301 M
- splash shield for brake disc left > 1K0 615 311 C
- splash shield for brake disc right > 1K0 615 312 C
- brake pads with wear indicator > 1K0 698 151 B
- hexagonal head bolt M8x12 > N 907 186 02
- brake hose > 1K0 611 701 N
- brake pipe hose from brake hose to piston housing left > 1K0 611 763 A
- brake pipe hose from brake hose to piston housing right > 1K0 611 764 A
- retaining clip > 191 611 715
- bracket for brake hose left > 1K0 611 841 A
- bracket for brake hose right > 1K0 611 842 A

Best bet to find them - eBay :D

Here's they are behind 19s
attachment.php

The R32/Leon cupra Mk2/S3/A3 3.2 calipers are all the same but aesthetically diff !

I'd defo recomend 345 conversion

Read through here:
http://www.golfmk5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=64475

And this site shows you whats needed and involved:
http://www.jkm.org.uk/performance/tfsibrakes.htm
http://oempl.us/index.php?main_page...id=369&zenid=3b3f48d35c011e2ad6f67c167b2ba452

Seat sell them for £555 complete and delivered and new in Red.

And here's a mate on the uk-mkivs.net forum who done the 312 to 345 conversion.

http://uk-mkivs.net/forums/t/213612.aspx

These are the links that inspired me to do mine but trust me - the brake conversion is the bested mod I've done to date :D Look great/stop great they're awesome!

Reactions: MrBones
seen these on the bay

You can buy the lot and sell teh springs, hubs etc.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/R32-MK5-GOLF-...14&_trkparms=72:1299|66:2|65:12|39:1|240:1318

i cannot believe i missed them!! by the time i saw your post the auction had ended :banghead: Having looked through the links you posted the seat cupra r set up is very tempting, £555 brand new seems a very fair price, how does this compare to the price of the S3 set up new from Audi? Also how did your mate go about ordering them from Seat, did he need part numbers etc??
Regards
Lance

Someone told me the S3 brakes are identical to the R32 ones apart form the fact the calipers have a metal badge add on and these are available seperately from Audi i'm sure. My Bro has an R32 and they do look the same.

I'd get some second hand R32 ones, paint them black and get the S3 badges, sorted!

Heres a pic of my old car (Turbo Bug) The Brembo GT kit (312mm) was awesome if you want to spend plenty of £££

RIMG0282.jpg

My brakes, Hi Spec Mega Monster 6 with 355mm cross drilled discs.
005.jpg

i cannot believe i missed them!! by the time i saw your post the auction had ended :banghead: Having looked through the links you posted the seat cupra r set up is very tempting, £555 brand new seems a very fair price, how does this compare to the price of the S3 set up new from Audi? Also how did your mate go about ordering them from Seat, did he need part numbers etc??
Regards
Lance

He just walked into Seat and set give me evrything ineed for the conversion...

The part numbers are below anyways :D

They're teh saem as S3 but aesthically a bit diff and painted red and it deoesnt have teh s3 badge which is £21 + VAT from Audi.

I got R32 ones that are red at the min!

But the stopping power is awesome in these!!

well ive picked up my 312mm MK5 GTI carriers from my mate, so im going down the genuine 312mm discs route with Ferodo DS2500 pads. Today i tryed to strip the red paint off the carriers with nitromorse, it didnt do a thing!!! What kind of paint do VW use?!?!? Looks like i will just have to paint over them.

i still havent manged to sort my brakes out yet :ermm: its getting rather desperate now especially with the extra power the st3 is going to give me so may have to get something as a short term fix until i can afford a big brake conversion..can anyone tell me the standard disk size front and rear for a 2.0tdi (140)?

I just so happen to have two complete sets of front and one rear set of standard A3 PD140 brakes in my garage if somebody should happen to want to buy some spares....

For improving braking feel and performance, a set of Goodridge lines will make more difference than "upgrading" to drilled / grooved discs.

For improving braking feel and performance, a set of Goodridge lines will make more difference than "upgrading" to drilled / grooved discs.

yeh i completey agree, but as mentioned before it is as much for aestheics as performance and braided hoses wouldnt do much for aesthetics..i would definately consider upgrading to braided hoses after a big brake conversion as i think it finishes it off quite nicely, i did this on my old car and did feel a difference afterwards.

Eurocarparts were doing discs cheap and stick some decent pads (mintex) and they should do you for a bit.

01924 510000 - A2Z Spares - these guys do good prices on pads - got my golf mintex brake pads/discs and my 345mm mintex pads and the mintex pads on the TT 312mm :D

With the goodridge lines - theyll be good enough!

Lance-22,

I believe the standard disc size is 288mm.

However, to upgrade to 312mm (A3 V6 brakes), the only differences are the brake caliper carriers and the discs themselves. The calipers and the pads are the same parts.

I can work out the part numbers from Audi if you want.

I'm planning on getting the discs and pads from EBC (using greenstuff pads) and getting the caliper carriers from VW/Audi. I'm just about to phone them for a price.

Cheers

thats the upgrade i was looking at. but i was looking at the carriers from vag part (cant remember the site) but unfortunately they ceased trading and cant find them anywhere!

Try ebay - I have seen them on there numerous times - search for VW/Audi caliper carriers - thats where I got mine from for my A4

ive done the 288mm to 312mm conversion using OEM genuine discs and Ferodo DS2500 pads....VERY nice stopping power. Might upgrade to goodridge hoses soon too.