Fatal crash driver was "texting"

h5djr

VCDS Map User
Reaction score
How about this for the ulimate in stupidity...

"A driver sent and received more than 20 text messages on the journey which ended in her hitting and killing a stationary motorist, a court has heard.
Philippa Curtis, 21, hit the back of Victoria McBryde's car at 70mph (113km/h) on the M40 in Oxfordshire.
The 24-year-old, from Northamptonshire, suffered a fatal brain injury.
Ms Curtis told Oxford Crown court she thought you could use a phone when driving "in the right conditions". She denies death by dangerous driving.
Ms Curtis, of Icklingham, in Bury St Edmunds, had been on her way to stay with her boyfriend in Oxford.
She said she would have probably "slowed down" to send the messages on 20 November last year.
The court heard Curtis had made the two-hour journey to Oxford on a dark evening when the roads were wet and after a shift at a restaurant in Suffolk.
The waitress, who told the court she had been "hyper" as she set off at 2100 GMT, made various calls and sent text messages to a number of friends using predictive text on her flip-top phone.
As she arrived in Oxford she made a call to her boyfriend which, she claims, did not go through.
She then dialled a taxi firm so she could arrange an onward journey from a park-and-ride.
Car spun
But shortly after making the call, she hit a Peugeot 106 belonging to Victoria McBryde, who had stopped to deal with a burst tyre.
Ms Mcbryde's car was forced off the carriageway and ended up on the concrete.
Ms Curtis, who only suffered an arm injury, spun into oncoming traffic hitting two more vehicles, a white van and an Asda lorry, the court heard.
But giving evidence, the 21-year-old said she had felt there were times when using a phone while driving was acceptable.
She told the court: "I didn't think I should be chatting away when manoeuvring roundabouts, but in the right conditions..."
Prosecutor Alan Blake replied: "In the right conditions on the M40 at 70mph?"
She added: "I probably would have slowed down."
She also told the court she could send and receive messages without taking her eyes off the road.
The trial continues"

Not a dig at you Dave but a general observation about this forum for which yours is a classic example - Why post this in 8P? It's a news story, completely unrelated to 8P, which I think would be better placed in a more general section with a wider audience.

It seems that many people stick solely to the forums that relate to their specific cars. Are we scared to venture outside of the 'safety zone'?

It's off topic - but texting/on the phone, Still see lowds of people doing it while driving :(

I seen another similar post somewhere (think on ASN) but the driver killed a dad and his 16 yr old son while he was wanking and driving...

Amazing what goes on in todays world..

Not a dig at you Dave but a general observation about this forum for which yours is a classic example - Why post this in 8P? It's a news story, completely unrelated to 8P, which I think would be better placed in a more general section with a wider audience.

It seems that many people stick solely to the forums that relate to their specific cars. Are we scared to venture outside of the 'safety zone'?

I agree - a thread worth posting for sure but not here unless the daft bint was driving an Audi A3/S3 8P.

While the death of an innocent person is very sad and pointeless, Texting while driving or making / taking calls while driving (and not on a hands free), why does this suprise you ? See it every day - along with lots of very stupid, inconsiderate driving. The only way to stop this is to actually have police on the roads as policing by static cameras just does not work, people just slow for the camera and then continue doing their own silly thing 200 metres further on !

Richard

I hear about that man he was drunk aswell f*cking idiot! People like this should never be allowed to drive again!

Dave probably posted as the 8P section because it probably gets the most people visiting and maybe some people on here do drink and drive, And text while driving etc...But probably just because this section gets most active out of all the others.
Thats just my though so. And for the idiot who thought she could do all that just ban her and jail she not dumb **** every one knows NOT to use your phone while driving but people still do

Ashley

There's the drunk ******* report:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/7771299.stm

Its disgusting .... As i said before in a previous post, he needs his balls chopping off !

I lost my uncle (dads little brother) in crash with a wreckless van driver who done an ilegal u-turn and cut him up - My dads now supporting his wife and 4 kids (aged 3 to 15).

Thats why i really really really hate wreckless and stupendous driving. My mates are all like that - trying to race me in their 1.4 puntos and novas - its daft and losing a close mate in 40mph crash where he lost control and crashed into wall - really makes you think...

Law is law - they are there for a reason. No U-turns, drunk driving, text/on the phone, sometimes they look a bit daft and OTT but in the real world, im sure they save lives... If only everyone obeyed them...

8 years thats f*ck all for what the idiot was doing. He should spend alot longer in jail and be BANNED

Edit: 'He sentenced him to eight years for each of the two counts of causing death by dangerous driving, to be served concurrently' So 16years?

I hear about that man he was drunk aswell f*cking idiot! People like this should never be allowed to drive again!

Dave probably posted as the 8P section because it probably gets the most people visiting and maybe some people on here do drink and drive, And text while driving etc...But probably just because this section gets most active out of all the others.

Ashley

Exactly. Most of the other forums, apart from the 8L, only get visited once in a blue moon. The members (friends) that I want to 'talk' to frequent this forum! At least it's not about a BMW!!!

Exactly. Most of the other forums, apart from the 8L, only get visited once in a blue moon. The members (friends) that I want to 'talk' to frequent this forum! At least it's not about a BMW!!!

Fair point actually Dave.
I'm not sure about cutting people's balls off for offences like this - its so common we'd be knee deep in ******** before we knew it.

So he gets 16 years in jail & 15 year ban on driving. Kinda pointless ban unless it starts when he leaves jail???

I'm not sure about cutting people's balls off for offences like this - its so common we'd be knee deep in ******** before we knew it.

Haha knee deep in ********. They need to do some thing about this people who do stupid things at the wheel and kill people

So he gets 16 years in jail & 15 year ban on driving. Kinda pointless ban unless it starts when he leaves jail???

You do have a point if its while he in jail the judge must be a jack a*se but probably does start when he gets out i hope anyway

I don't wish to point out the obvious but hes not the most straight thinking person so a ban will mean zilch.

****** awful in both instances

Back to Daves original point.

Sorry to say but this is far too commonplace (maybe not at 70mph though). I often see young girls, the main offenders by far, stupid `babe on board` stickers etc....driving with one hand looking into their lap not paying the slightest bit notice to the traffic ahead.
Unless they are on their way back from an Ann Summers party there are all clearly texting.
Can it not wait? Whats so important?
Fuckwits.

Cheers
Paul

I suppose it depends on how you view/use the forums Ash, I always use the new posts button and finish up with mark all posts read once I've seen everything I want to. So I select my reading via the thread title as opposed to sticking to one sub forum.

Like I said, not having a dig just an observation. General chat for general chat, 8P for 8P chat and if people must talk about BMW's then the I'm sure there is a place for that too. :moa:

With regard to the original topic the coppers around here often 'plot up' in an area where there is queing traffic in the morning. They post a spotter up the road and the rest of the team respond to his calls and pull offenders in as required. Seems to work as they are always busy.

I do see a lot of people texting and phoning in that traffic when I go to work.

He'll probably be out in 8yrs on a tag if acts good inside so even it does start from now, it will still affect him.

Unfortunately the mobile phone has taken over our lives. Never mind where you are, what your doing, when it rings people instantly feel the need to answer. Those who are caught using a phone whilst driving should be very heavly find & banned for a considerable amount of time, the present laws are far to lenient.

これで、ここでは、少数の歴史と語ったが必要だ 無名の英雄 この土が削除されます ある人は、継承はされています 造幣局からの輸入 人々の多くがないのにネウルエウンイ 事実、この老いたहेごみमेरे 彼は帽子にゴミ収集した これは、うわっイレオルスがズボンです そして彼は、フラットに住んで協議会
彼は'真のनानाである 大きな皿の後に起動チクヒギル 彼はउन्हें得ることができる職業を持って 彼は根が何उन्हेंデイジー電話

between that and murdering prostitutes I'm surprised they get any work done. It's no wonder so many of them fiddle with their tachometers - they need to make up the lost time.

**** funny.
How else can we slander them ?

8 years thats f*ck all for what the idiot was doing. He should spend alot longer in jail and be BANNED

Edit: 'He sentenced him to eight years for each of the two counts of causing death by dangerous driving, to be served concurrently' So 16years?

No it's 8 years. Concurrently means they sentences will be served side-by-side. However even if he serves the 8 years, his driving ban will only run for 7 years after that which is a joke. It should start from the day he walks out of prison.

Personally I'd rather see him put away for much longer. I give the example that if I was to walk down a road with my shotgun randomly shooting at cars while drunk I'd probably be put away for life. He basically did the same thing with a car and gets 8 years.

No it's 8 years. Concurrently means they sentences will be served side-by-side. However even if he serves the 8 years, his driving ban will only run for 7 years after that which is a joke. It should start from the day he walks out of prison.

Personally I'd rather see him put away for much longer. I give the example that if I was to walk down a road with my shotgun randomly shooting at cars while drunk I'd probably be put away for life. He basically did the same thing with a car and gets 8 years.

If its 8 years .... doesnt that mean he'll serve four years or slightly more if he acts all nice in prison... Its a joke!

English Legal System needs to be updated big timee...

i still think chopping off his privates is the way forward.

In Saudi Arabia and Dubai - If you get stealing, you lose your hands. Over there, the crime rate is more or less 0%.

An update on the original case...

Yesterday, Phillippa Curtis was found guilty of causing death by dangerous driving following her trial and was warned that she faces a lengthy jail term.

In August this year the law was changed so that motorists who cause a fatal accident while using a mobile phone can be jailed for up to five years.

Personally I don't think 'up to five years' for killing another person because you were using a mobile phone when driving is any like enough.

An update on the original case...

Yesterday, Phillippa Curtis was found guilty of causing death by dangerous driving following her trial and was warned that she faces a lengthy jail term.

In August this year the law was changed so that motorists who cause a fatal accident while using a mobile phone can be jailed for up to five years.

Personally I don't think 'up to five years' for killing another person because you were using a mobile phone when driving is any like enough.

Deserves to be found guilty!!

Hope she gets the full whack to realise how serious dangerous driving is!

Just as a final update to this thread...

The young lady doing the texting has been sentenced to 21 months in prison and a 3 year driving ban.

Not really enough in my opinion for taking someones life by shear stupidity.

これで、ここでは、少数の歴史と語ったが必要だ 無名の英雄 この土が削除されます ある人は、継承はされています 造幣局からの輸入 人々の多くがないのにネウルエウンイ 事実、この老いたहेごみमेरे 彼は帽子にゴミ収集した これは、うわっイレオルスがズボンです そして彼は、フラットに住んで協議会
彼は'真のनानाである 大きな皿の後に起動チクヒギル 彼はउन्हें得ることができる職業を持って 彼は根が何उन्हेंデイジー電話

She'll be out in a year .....

I do hope this teaches her a lesson but as said below, it isnt enough for taking life.

Its easier to just run over an enemy and say it was an accident and get a lesser sentence....