THINKING OF SELLING MY A3 - Whats it worth?? Any takers?

mattandrew

Reaction score
Its only a thought at the minute but I am thinking of selling my A3 and going for an S3 and I am trying to work out how much mine is worth. Ive looked on Parkers and Autotrader but its difficult because of the spec of mine and the fact that I have done the double grill to single frame grill conversion. I know you never get back what you've put in to a car but I think with the spec its worth more. It was a highley speced car when new and ive added more

2004 A3 2.0 Diesel
DSG - Auto
Akoya silver

Original Sport spec
Graphite/Black vienna leather
BOSE
Bluetooth
Sunroof
Heated Seats
Parking Sensors
Auto and coming home Lights
Interior Light Pack
Storage Pack
Front centre armrest
LuggageNets

Added features
OEM Xenons
S-Line Bumper - new version (conversion from double grill to single inc bonnet)
Votex Rear Spoiler & Side Skirts
Eibach lowering springs
Facelift Taillights
Lamin-X tint on headlights
Upsolute Remap
FBMFSW & Chrome Paddles
Cupra-R spoiler
Optics Grill
18" RS6 OEM
Brushed aluminium door inlays
RNS-E
Cruise
TT Vents
Dension Gateway100 iPod
35% Tints
LED interor lighting
Chrome tailpipes
S3 pedals inc dead pedal

I also still have the original colour coded mirrors and silver sline grill

The car has done about 74,000, its just about to have a full service and cambelt change and will have 12months MOT

Heres how it looked when i bought

Frontbefore.jpg

And heres how its looks now

CIMG1011.jpg

CIMG1068.jpg

CIMG1060.jpg

CIMG1026.jpg

CIMG10161024x768.jpg

I think you could easy get over £10,000 private but we all know how cars and selling. And at trade the prices are just stupid now

Your car has probably every spec people would want.
And obviously you added the upgrades the one grill, s-line bumper, OEM Xenons, FBMFSW & Chrome Paddles, Facelift Taillights etc etc...

Just have to hold out for a good sale private. I wouldnt trade it in though
But as you said it just a thought at the moment
Must say the car looking good

Ashley

i'd sell some of the options seperatly at least that way you will get some of the money back, assuming you have the old parts. The additions will make it more desirable and easier to sell but ain't going to add much to it, I found that out when selling a high specced golf, it didn't get much more than the trade price for a bog standard model. I'm sure it will sell, try someone like weybridge audi (indi) to see if they would buy it or VWaudi sales and then add on some money should you wish to sell it privatly.

I'd also hold off on the cambelt unless it needs it, it will be a selling point if sold privatly but ain't going to make a difference to a trader its another £300 towards the S3

You should get a little over the standard for the sunroof and leather but you will basically get nothing extra for the other extras and mods. They may make the car more sellable privately but changing the grill will probably have reduced the value slightly from a dealers point of view as it's no longer a 'standard' Audi A3.

Some dealers may also reduce the value if a major service and cambelt change are due as they will almost certainly do this before they sell the car.

Have to agree. Adding extras like that seldom add monetary value to a vehicle and as Dave remarks, could in fact damage the actual value of the vehicle. A dealer would be unlikely to take the car on and sell it as an approved used Audi for example.

Your best bet is private, where someone could appreciate what you have done to it; it clearly "looks" better than when you bought it and would have more appeal. However, you should be realistic against the value of a standard car. There's also the insurance implications to consider too, which may put some prospective purchases off.

Good luck!

I'd strip it back to standard as you are limiting your potential market, a lot of people may also be put off insuring a 'Sport' and then having to decalre all the 'S-Line' bits, I think it would actually cost less to insure a real S-Line.

If you don't have the standard parts then stick a feeler up on here and offer a swap plus cash. i.e. RNS-E £400 plus your standard concert unit.

I bought mine for 9k with 54k on it (mines an original S-Line) same spec as yours but i dont have Bose or sunroof, when I was looking thats all they were fetching. I saw a few sports for 8-9k and some with 80-90k on them for 7500 ish

I'd put it up for 9k private, i'd say a dealer would offer you about 6500-7000 for it.

I know its probably worth more to you but hey, dealers arent selling cars at the moment.

Glass's guide values your car being an 04 2.0TDI sport with 74k in Excellent condition at £7110, now that is what trade will be looking at taking it in at if they even want it. You might get another £500 over that on a private sale but I cant really see all your mods actually adding value to the car, they will just reduce the potential market as has been said. The potential insurance increase on declaring them would be enough to put alot of people off.

i could px for a 2001 TT 225 - 45k - v. high spec ?

Well...my aunt seen the a3 and the TT is her current car but shes fallen in love with yours!

I'd say £8-8.5k. There are lots of genuine, high spec S-Lines that have less than half the mileage and with the more powerful engines out there that are not selling at ~£9-9.5k so I can't see how this could ever be worth more than that. I know as I've got one of them!!

I've had to drop the price of mine by nearly £5k since I started advertising it 6 months ago and I've only had one person round to view it and all other interest has been for part exchange.

I too would recommend stripping off the extras that can be replaced with the original parts and selling them seperately.

Looks nice. Will show my mum. Shes after an A3 2.0 Diesel.:thumbsup:

To save you stripping all the mods and selling individually, ill help you out. Lets do a straight swap for mine high spec but standard 04 2.0tdi DSG leather, cam belt just done and so on ...

Actually come to think of it, I wouldn’t mind doing that for real ... I’m off to think of an offer :think:

Go for private sale and keep it as it is.
There are a lot of A3's out there but people are holding out for high spec'd clean cars and are still willing to pay.
I waited 2 months for mine and travelled 200 miles to buy mine in the end.
Gorgeous looking car by the way!

I think you could easy get over £10,000 private but we all know how cars and selling.

Just to show the sort of choice a buyer has, there was a really nice spec '54 plate Range Rover with 68k miles in the local paper last night, for £11k.
Going by my A3's thirst for expensive oil, I'm not even sure the Range Rover would be any more expensive to run either.
£10k for a used A3, or a wee bit more for a nice Range Rover of the same age and mileage.

Thanks for all your comments guys I will bear all the comments in mind when making my decision, I had a test drive booked a Sheffield Audi on Wednesday but couldn't make it due to work, the guy was also gona give me a trade in value on mine, then i was going to tell him to stick the offer as i know he will give me peanuts for it. Might just keep mine for a bit longer yet, as im still trying to finish renovating my cottage. Me dad had the Impretza on loan again while his ML went into Mercs for some jobs, this hasent helped my decision tho as ive been using it for last couple of days, I must say I love the AWD and the power