How to Remove Outer Case of S3 Mirrors

Jo Sharp

Reaction score
Thinking of painting the mirrors of my new S3 in Sprint Blue...not too keen on the silver finish.

Is it easy to remove the casing? Or strictly a job for a dealer?

its a little pain in rear but can be done, I find it easier to remove the glass tbh, remove glass by angling the mirror downwards so there is a gap at the top, get a thin wide piece of wood or something to wedge into the gap & make sure its in the middle of the glass just above the directional motor, then slowly put pressure its the glass is being forced outwards towards the door & at same time get your fingers in there to assist, it should slowly pop of, dont rush take time.

Then undo the 2 scews underneath that holds the bottom black cap on, this is tricky to get of but pushing from the top inside the housing releases the cap downwards, then the actual mirror cover usually has 1 screw fixed in the rear, so unsrew this & there are 2 clips kinda hidden at the rear that need a very subtle move to the side or outwards to release the cover from underneath, you need to do each side a bit at a time then it comes of loosely to be able to remove completely from the mirror stalk etc then reverse but dont paint your silver ones.

But if you're in a rush forget it as it takes a fair while overall trust me, not a quick job

Mmmm, is it wise to be posting that info on a public forum bearing in mind the number of mirror covers that are being stolen? A PM would have been better.

Never known a mirror thief to remove them so caringly, lol

Thanks for the info..and the advice not to do it!!

I haven't yet made a final decision....I might get to like the silver ones, but at the moment I reckon a proper colour match would be better.

If your thinking of changing the colour i would buy another set from a breakers or ebay and get them sprayed and then you can keep your if you decide to change

Its really not all too difficult to do, but time and patience is needed. NHN is pretty much on point about how to do it. Don't forget to remove the wires from the mirrors (not sure if you have heated or not).

Also, do as mattandrew suggested and get some used ones and spray them...don't mess up your good ones.