Volks AutosJMB Retrofits
    KRL
    3rd Gear

Status

2.0 TFSI HPFP Cam Lobe and Cam Follower

Hi All,

I would like to know if anybody here has suffered Cam Follower failure/wear and subsequent Cam Lobe failure/wear. On the VWvortex forums this topic has been discussed in a lot of detail:
    http://forums.vwvortex.com/zerothread?id=3750088&page=1

I am a little concerned about the potential affects of this problem seeing as it has been seen on stock cars as well as modified and my car is about to go out of warranty.

Do you 2.0 TFSI owners check your Cam Follower and Cam Lobe regularly for this? Also does anybody know if this is checked by Audi UK as part of regualr servicing?

There was a TSB released by Audi US for this problem:
    http://livall.kicks-ass.net/20t_cam_...t_cam_wear.pdf

So my questions are:
    1. Does this affect UK model 2.0 TFSIs and is the above TSB relevant for the UK?
    2. Do Audi UK check for this?
    3. Has anybody with aftermarket HPFPs suffered problems?
    4. Has anybody on stock HPFP suffered problems?
    Ice Silver S3 + every single option + REVO + BSH Street Can + Forge Twintake + Autotech

2. # ADS
    ADS

4th Gear

Status
    This was addressed, as you pointed out, by Audi. l havent heard of any recent problems. l will be speaking to my garage about checking as part of a service

KRL
    3rd Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by dc240969 View Post
    This was addressed, as you pointed out, by Audi. l havent heard of any recent problems. l will be speaking to my garage about checking as part of a service
    How was it addressed and was it addressed in the UK?
    Ice Silver S3 + every single option + REVO + BSH Street Can + Forge Twintake + Autotech

4th Gear

Status
    The material that the cam was made from was softer than the material on the pump, hence wear. The OEM pump would have worn the cam as well.
    Last edited by dc240969; 9th December 2008 at 17:53.

Just Looking

Status
    I ran a replacement pump without issues. I did do regular checks at 7k ish intervals and also replaced the cam follower (20) each time. No problems for me.
    Stu.

A4 3.0 TDi S-Line Quattro, 7 Speed S-Tronic, Quartz Grey, 19" Twin Spoke Alloys, Alcantara with Silver Stitching & Heating, Nav High, B & O, AMI, DAB, Parking Advanced & Rear View Camera, Advanced Keyless Entry, LED Interior Light Pack, Hill Hold Assist, Heated Electric Folding Mirrors, Through Load.

Previous MY11 S3 Sportback Black Edition, S-Tronic, Ibis White.

KRL
    3rd Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by dc240969 View Post
    The material that the cam was made from was softer than the material on the pump, hence wear. The OEM pump would have worn the cam as well.
    Yes but there was no recall for this problem as far as I am aware it was only a TSB. Therefore if you have an earlier 2.0 TFSI (mine was manufactured on 23.07.06) I am concerned this problem could still effect me and others. My car has 56k miles on it at the moment so will soon be over the 60k warranty mileage and a replacement cam would be quite a financial hit.

KRL
    3rd Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by VRStu View Post
    I ran a replacement pump without issues. I did do regular checks at 7k ish intervals and also replaced the cam follower (20) each time. No problems for me.
    Thanks. Was the cam follower worn each time or did you replace more out of preventative maintenance?

Just Looking

Status
    Preventative, for the sake of 20 I thought it was acceptable.
    Stu.

A4 3.0 TDi S-Line Quattro, 7 Speed S-Tronic, Quartz Grey, 19" Twin Spoke Alloys, Alcantara with Silver Stitching & Heating, Nav High, B & O, AMI, DAB, Parking Advanced & Rear View Camera, Advanced Keyless Entry, LED Interior Light Pack, Hill Hold Assist, Heated Electric Folding Mirrors, Through Load.

Previous MY11 S3 Sportback Black Edition, S-Tronic, Ibis White.

2nd Gear

Status
    There are some well documented Cam wear problems with other VAG engines.

1.9 150hp TDI PD
    S4 and RS4 V6

First two that spring to mind

KRL
    3rd Gear

Status
    Seems to be quite a wide spread VAG issue then.

Here is a summary of how I understand the problem on 2.0 TFSIs:

Your Cam Follower will wear in time as it is made of a softer material than the Cam. Therefore you need to periodically check the condition of your Cam Follower (I intend to check mine asap).

If your Cam Follower fails it is likely that the HPFP will do some damage to the Cam as it will be coming into direct contact with the Cam surface.

There are 2 variations of the 200 ps 2.0 TFSI Cams - A variant and B variant which both have 3 lobes. It seems to be a bit of a lottery which Cam people will have (it does not seem to be tied down age). The A variant Cams are one piece while the B variant Cams are two piece. Cam failure seems to be more likely on the A variant Cam.

The S3 2.0 TFSI has a 4 lobe Cam and I am not sure if this problem effects the S3?

4th Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by PW-Motorsport View Post
    There are some well documented Cam wear problems with other VAG engines.

1.9 150hp TDI PD
    S4 and RS4 V6

First two that spring to mind
    I thought the issue on the PD engines (not just the 150) was due to the wrong oil being used?

6th Gear

Status
    is this confined to the TFSi engine or is there a chance on my 2003 N/A FSi engine? It's only done 22k so far but is it something i can prevent or delay the onset?
    2003-2008 1998 Red A3 8L 1.8 Sport
    2008 -> 2003 Akoya Silver A3 8P1 2.0 FSi Sport

under pressure

Status
    First i had a KMD Pump which failed after 2.000 miles (found some petrol in the engine oil, not very good :-) Now i'm running with an APR pump which works great so far.

I've changed the cam follower at 30.000 km and it looked like new. The same applies for the cam lobe. I think the Motul 300v oil that i use is responsible for this :-)
    Audi S3 2.0 TFSI quattro - Turbo-Back exhaust - Cold Air Intake - Uprated Fuel Pump - Upgraded Clutch - Upgraded Intercooler - Stage2+ Software

KRL
    3rd Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Khufu View Post
    is this confined to the TFSi engine or is there a chance on my 2003 N/A FSi engine? It's only done 22k so far but is it something i can prevent or delay the onset?
    Sorry I'm not sure about the 2.0 FSI engine. Does it have a HPFP?

KRL
    3rd Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by aiculedtzu View Post
    First i had a KMD Pump which failed after 2.000 miles (found some petrol in the engine oil, not very good :-) Now i'm running with an APR pump which works great so far.

I've changed the cam follower at 30.000 km and it looked like new. The same applies for the cam lobe. I think the Motul 300v oil that i use is responsible for this :-)
    Interesting! How often do you change your oil?

under pressure

Status
    ~ 5000 miles.
    Audi S3 2.0 TFSI quattro - Turbo-Back exhaust - Cold Air Intake - Uprated Fuel Pump - Upgraded Clutch - Upgraded Intercooler - Stage2+ Software