Sky InsuranceVolks Autos
    Neutral

Status

A3 towing Capabilities - Help needed

Hi all,

Sure there is some of you who wil frown but what capabilities does my 54' A3 1.9 TDI have?

Thinking of getting a trailer tent or small caravan for the wife and kids (saving on holidays abroad!) and need to know what kind of weight it should be.

I plan for a remap in the new year so power not a problem but I am aware that I need to consider car/caravan weight ratio's etc.

Any help?

Thanks

Gav

2. # ADS
    ADS

5th Gear

Status
    I think the A3 will pull 750kg unbraked weight and something around 1600kg braked trailer, although it depends on make and model. I think parkers quote figures as does your owners manual.
    Gone A3 TDi S Line DSG Bluefined

Now Seat Leon Cupra about to be Bluefined

NHN
    Modmetractor

Status
    I've just recently finished my detach hidden oem towbar mod if you want info on fitting or want fitted & I'm sure I can source the parts cheaper than audi as they quote 500 parts & 500 fitting, unreal.

OEM RETROFITS - CRUISE CONTROL - SAT NAV - BLUETOOTH - AMI - HEADLIGHT SYSTEMS

PARKING SYSTEMS - DIAGNOSTICS - FAULT FINDING - BODYWORK - PAINTWORK

2nd Gear

Status
    You towing capacity should be in your cars handbook.
    I think the trailer weight with brakes should be no more than 85% of the car towing.
    The maximum you may tow with an unbraked trailer is 750 kg. This link may help?

http://www.dft.gov.uk/pgr/roads/vehi...frequently4577

There is also a license requirement see this link.
    http://www.dvla.gov.uk/media/pdf/leaflets/inf45.pdf

I had a pointy finger of a copper a few years back when towing a rally preped ur quattro with a ur quattro.
    Last edited by PW-Motorsport; 4th December 2008 at 16:38.

6th Gear

Status
    I think a small trailer tent or caravan would be fine on a TDI, the 1.6 petrols would struggle a bit.

My dad used to pull a 16ft Caravan on a 1.6 75bhp VW Jetta, no worries! I think people today are a little obsessed by the caravan world snobbery, at the moment it seems if you dont have a 4x4 then its not worth caravanning!
    B6 1.8T Avant s line gmbh

A3TDI

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by NHN View Post
    I've just recently finished my detach hidden oem towbar mod if you want info on fitting or want fitted & I'm sure I can source the parts cheaper than audi as they quote 500 parts & 500 fitting, unreal.
    i am currently looking at fitting a detatable hidden towbar to my a3..i was told you need a new rear bumper skirt or something?? also i didnt know audi did an oem towbar..ive been looking at the bosal ak6 as seen in this link:
    http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/AUDI-A3-96-To-...1%7C240%3A1318
    ive been quoted 360 for the bosal one including the electrics kit..what price can you get the audi one for??

5th Gear

Status
    the audi one is made by witter i think.... whatever it will be more expensive as you need to walk through a posh showroom to get it !
    Gone A3 TDi S Line DSG Bluefined

Now Seat Leon Cupra about to be Bluefined

NHN
    Modmetractor

Status
    uh which year as that one is for 8L not 8P

audi one needs new lower valance with removable cover which you cant see when not used, it also has a control module to integrate with car better, which also helps with oem parking sensors as it knows when to disable them when towing connected to electrics where as bosal I believe doesnt use control module at all just wires into car electrics & existing light connections, maybe someone can prove this wrong

the audi one is infact made by westfalia who make most towbars for oem's & I'd say the better towbars tbh

OEM RETROFITS - CRUISE CONTROL - SAT NAV - BLUETOOTH - AMI - HEADLIGHT SYSTEMS

PARKING SYSTEMS - DIAGNOSTICS - FAULT FINDING - BODYWORK - PAINTWORK

A3TDI

Status
    http://www.towequipe.co.uk/products/...-A3-03-ON.html
    is this the oem audi towbar for an a3 then?? in addition to this what do i need? a new rear valance? does anyone have a part number for this?

Neutral

Status
    The Westfalia towbar is the OE one. I'm not back in the office until Tuesday now, but I'm sure that i can do better than the towequipe price for you.

You will need a new lower valance as well which will need painting to match your car.

Also you should really use the OE wiring loom or an equivilent one. I can get this for you a well, but it will either need coding by the dealer, or some kind person with Vag-Com to do it for you.

Towbar fitting instructions here:

http://www.westfalia-automotive.de/f...207war-101.pdf

h5djr kindly got me the parts list for the bumper parts in this thread:

Etka Help - Towbar Related

His links are here:

3 Door Bumper Parts

Sportback Bumper Parts

I'm trying to find the best/neatest way to fit a towbar for a customer of ours, so I'll let you know what we find.

Cheers,
    Andy
    Last edited by Andy_S; 6th December 2008 at 17:59.

A3TDI

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Andy_S View Post
    The Westfalia towbar is the OE one. I'm not back in the office until Tuesday now, but I'm sure that i can do better than the towequipe price for you.

You will need a new lower valance as well which will need painting to match your car.

Also you should really use the OE wiring loom or an equivilent one. I can get this for you a well, but it will either need coding by the dealer, or some kind person with Vag-Com to do it for you.

Towbar fitting instructions here:

http://www.westfalia-automotive.de/f...207war-101.pdf

h5djr kindly got me the parts list for the bumper parts in this thread:

Etka Help - Towbar Related

His links are here:

3 Door Bumper Parts

Sportback Bumper Parts

I'm trying to find the best/neatest way to fit a towbar for a customer of ours, so I'll let you know what we find.

Cheers,
    Andy
    Thank you very much Andy that is a great help, if you could pm me the details or post them on here when you can i will almost definately order one on tue.