a3 sportback or hatchback TDI

vw754

vorsprung Durch Technik
Reaction score
Im soon to buy an audi:blackrs4: a3 2.0 tdi sport and wanted to know any known fault or issues and what sort of price i can expect to pay or better still what i can get for around £6500 cash.

I was considering the 2.0 tdi -sport back but will consider the hatchback aswell.

Which would you guys say is the better of the 2 ?

it depends on what you want, 2 door looks better but the sportback is more practical, however I don't you will find much for £6500

SPortbacks in general carry a premium and for £6500 there will more than likely be a few issues due to lack of maintenance or uber high miles. Probably 9500 start of the good examples? Might be wrong tho

Maybe an 8L A3 1.9 tdi 130 in good condition would be a better buy?

High mileage or auctions .... thats where you'll find one for £6500.

About £9k for a decent one sounds about right.

Common probs are the porous heads and that can cost a bomb or the IntakeManifoldFlap on some of the models (About £220 for a new one + labour).

Apart frm that, as long as they're fully serviced on time and just general care, you cant really go wrong. There good cars. Only probs I've had with mine is the IMF and thats it :D

what faults do you get with the IMF ?

It jams. Its happened to mine, quite a fewr forum members and quite a few guys on the mk5 golfs and i even know a guy with a toureg that it happened to.

Theres a whole thread on it by me somewhere...

6.5k wont buy you anything sensible tbh, it will be low spec'd or high mileage with medium spec & maybe some issues, but be nice to be proved wrong & given climate there could be someone desperate to get some funds