Emissions Light and Exhaust Gas

aadams1x

Reaction score
I know I have posted a similar question regarding excessive (Hopefully Steam) coming out of my girlfriend a3 fsi 2.0's exhaust but now the emissions light has come on.

Would you take this down to main stealers for a check or an independant garage, budget is tight on this but need to get the car sorted, it is also running slightly rough on idle and when in Neutral (It is auto) What could the light and these symptoms mean and how much might it cost me!! Thanks

Hi, I am based Nr. Fareham, Hampshire... Thanks :)

I'm all the way in the northwest so i wont be able to help but am sure someone will live near you who will do you a VAGCOM check :D

Hi, A big thanks for Paul (Gti Jazz Blue) for his help in running the test on the car this evening, it is pointing towards the lambda sensor although there were two error codes on the car...

2 Faults Found:
16441 - Oxygen (Lambda) Sensor B2 S2: Heating Circuit: Short to Ground
P0057 - 002 - Lower Limit Exceeded - Intermittent
17811 - EGR System: Regulation Deviation
P1403 - 008 - Implausible Signal - MIL ON
Readiness: 0000 0000

Unsure of the second error, when i got home and turned the car off and then turned the ignition half way I also noticed a fairly noisey fuel pump noise, im now not sure if I am just being paranoid or if this connected too!

The car actually wouldnt start this morning and was very very lumpy with car shuddering but after a while did start and GF was able to use it, i was not about to help her get to work otherwise maybe she should not have driven it :-(

Thanks again to Paul for help tonight :)

This post will prove I am no engineer!

This EGR Valve that has registered a fault, could that be one of the reasons I have excessive exhaust steam/gas coming out...I am hoping when we get to the bottom of this engine light it will help the steam/gas as well....

Hmmm, when i was a young kid I had a toy called a spirograph, that had plastic cogs, maybe one of those will fix my girlfreinds car!!

Its good to see you got the car on Vagcom.

EGr valve...TBH, id just rplace. Even if the cogs gone, This may show a sign that the other cogs are on the way out too. Its easy enough to change yourself just renew all the gaskets/seals on the pipes, EGR, IMF.

Lamba - Thats just a sensor on the exhaust IIRC. It were a simple job on our LCR so cant imagine it will be to hard on this. the prob is finding out which 1 :s

atleast you know what the probs are though and shouldnt cost too much to put right

Hi, A big thanks for Paul (Gti Jazz Blue) for his help in running the test on the car this evening, it is pointing towards the lambda sensor although there were two error codes on the car...

2 Faults Found:
16441 - Oxygen (Lambda) Sensor B2 S2: Heating Circuit: Short to Ground
P0057 - 002 - Lower Limit Exceeded - Intermittent
17811 - EGR System: Regulation Deviation
P1403 - 008 - Implausible Signal - MIL ON
Readiness: 0000 0000

Unsure of the second error, when i got home and turned the car off and then turned the ignition half way I also noticed a fairly noisey fuel pump noise, im now not sure if I am just being paranoid or if this connected too!

The car actually wouldnt start this morning and was very very lumpy with car shuddering but after a while did start and GF was able to use it, i was not about to help her get to work otherwise maybe she should not have driven it :-(

Thanks again to Paul for help tonight :)

No problem Andrew.

Thinking further a problem with the heater element on the Lambda could cause a cold issue as the heater wire won't heat up. That could also explain why it fired first time last night as it was already warm.

I have put a posting up on the Ross-Tech Yahoo group for further info.

Paul

Thanks again for your help with this. I have been doing some research today and a couple of people have paid more significance into the steam coming out of my exhaust and thinking that this is the root of the problem and the lambda probe has shorted out because of this water in the exhaust which is why the fault reading is Short to Ground.

The error message on the EGR might also be more significant and a dodgy one of these looks like it can easily cause the engine to be rough and lumpy but still leaves me not sure about the steam.

I know the key is taking it to be looked at just really cant afford a fortune at the moment but the car needs to be right :-(

Thanks for all your help on this, I took it down to JKM and they were excellent, the diagnostics did not show up any errors with the Lambda probe this time but only with the EGR, this has since been replaced and the light is out, I am a little confused as to why the VAG Scan showed up and lambda error and would welcome the chance to try it again and see if it still coming up.

Glad it is sorted and JKM as I have heard from others were excellent and the job was started and completed including ordering and delivering the part in a little over 2 hours.

Thanks,
Andrew

Can you let me know which part JKM changed etc? EGR valve? Did this stop the steam?

Thanks