Monster MotorsportSky Insurance
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    North East Forum Moderator

Status
    Ok, I have my numberplate LED's fitted now.

I went ahead and bought the metal LED's in white and so the resistor couldnt get too close to the LED I got mini-resistors.

The hardest bit was getting that flipping screw out.

With the LED and resistor in place (before soldering)

Left: Original bulb, Right: LED bulb

Thanks again for the guide, will start on the interior soon!
    Audi A3 2.0TFSI S Line SE DSG

JMB Retrofits - North East Retrofit Company

2. # ADS
    ADS

Audi=No fault code, no idea

Status
    Cant understand why anyone would want to brighten up their numberplate lights !!! As dim as poss for me, better still....take the bulbs out...
    Will you be fitting a back light to your tax disc as well
    Ibis white Revo S3 and now matching Vivaro LWB HR 2900 :-)

Many people are alive because its illegal to shoot them.

N8
    Kowalski Details

Status

My Social Networking

Add N8 on Facebook Visit N8's Instagram Channel
    Not that Pat, just to get rid of the horrible yellow....

"Will these wheel fit my car PM's will not be replied to, do you research & use the SEARCH button"

Detailing - Wheel Refurbishment - Shark Performance Software - VagbremTechnic Dealer - OEM Retrofitting - Remus - V-Maxx - Goodridge

is a retronaut

Status
    I don't think those resistors are going to last too long! They're probably 0.3 watts. You need 2W resistors really.

I bought those same LED bulbs from world-sound on eBay. I went to fit them and one didn't work. I emailed them and they sent another out and by the time they arrived either the new one or the one that DID work stopped working so out of the 3 I have 2 that don't work. Waste of time.
    8P2 S3

For advice on Air Con problems please read my FAQs.
    To find ASN members with VCDS check out the MAP.

N8
    Kowalski Details

Status

My Social Networking

My led reg plate lights are perfect, and they have built in resistors I think

"Will these wheel fit my car PM's will not be replied to, do you research & use the SEARCH button"

Detailing - Wheel Refurbishment - Shark Performance Software - VagbremTechnic Dealer - OEM Retrofitting - Remus - V-Maxx - Goodridge

is a retronaut

Status
    Which ones have you got? Ryans look great so I'm hoping he can remember where he got them.
    8P2 S3

For advice on Air Con problems please read my FAQs.
    To find ASN members with VCDS check out the MAP.

2nd Gear

Status
    Anyone found out if the Bimmian led's work or not?
    "If you ain't first, you're last!" - Ricky Bobby

2008 A3 S-line 2.0 TDI PD140 (Pre-facelift)

2nd Gear

Status
    Staz I just sent you a pm about them.

I belive I got mine from a company in Germany, as I was going through some old emails a came across this website:

http://www.hypercolor.de/products/Ke...Soffitten.html

Now you have to select the 2 resistors and I went for the 5000 Kelvin bulbs.

The total cost with shipping came to 25.50
    "If you ain't first, you're last!" - Ricky Bobby

2008 A3 S-line 2.0 TDI PD140 (Pre-facelift)

N8
    Kowalski Details

Status

My Social Networking

Quote Originally Posted by Staz View Post
    Which ones have you got?
    HERE are mine. Perfect for me.

1st Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by N8KOW View Post
    HERE are mine. Perfect for me.
    Do you know if these are similar to the ones on the new BMWs?

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Staz View Post
    I don't think those resistors are going to last too long! They're probably 0.3 watts. You need 2W resistors really.

I bought those same LED bulbs from world-sound on eBay. I went to fit them and one didn't work. I emailed them and they sent another out and by the time they arrived either the new one or the one that DID work stopped working so out of the 3 I have 2 that don't work. Waste of time.
    I asked the guy at Maplins and he said he did the same to his car, and the mini's are still working for him - time will tell I guess..

I got the LEDs off eBay from the seller cederson. When I first tested mine they both didn't work and I was gutted... then I turned them round, lol.

N8
    Kowalski Details

Status

My Social Networking

Quote Originally Posted by fizz View Post
    Do you know if these are similar to the ones on the new BMWs?
    No better, they are too bluey.

BMW's =

1st Gear

Status
    No better, they are too bluey.

BMW's =
    Phew getting them ordered then

N8
    Kowalski Details

Status

My Social Networking

Nice one Fizz, let me know your thoughts, mine are PERFECT. Love them

1st Gear

Status
    Nice one Fizz, let me know your thoughts, mine are PERFECT. Love them
    That site wants 7.99 to deliver 2 small bulbs, did you pay that?

N8
    Kowalski Details

Status

My Social Networking

Yeh 20 delivered. What can you do, worth it man, 10 per bulb for perfect look.

1st Gear

Status
    Yeh 20 delivered. What can you do, worth it man, 10 per bulb for perfect look.
    just ordered them, will let you know how I get on mate

Vex
    Neutral

Status
    hi, I have read your "how-to" guide but I have a problem with my nuber plate lights I bought the 36mm festoon smd LED's and put the 2w 180 Ohm, they were working a day, then I used the 150 Ohm and they blinked and turned off, can anybody help me?

Status
    Just to let everyone know I've driven 1000 miles on my mini-resistors, mostly in the dark without one problem yet *touch wood*

"Started From The Bottom"

Status
    I've Just taken down my back rear interior Lights and it's not the same as tobycruse Back Interior light. They look like the picture below... Can Anybody Tell me What LED Bulbs I need for this Lighting ?

1st Gear

Status
    Same as the ones in the front mate, festoon rather than the map reading type

Neutral

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by tobycruse View Post
    Audi A3/S3 LED Project

At last here is the how to guide for installing LEDs for the interior and exterior bulbs in an Audi A3/S3.

You will need:-
    5 x 2W 150 Ohm resistors - www.maplins.co.uk product code: D150R (150 Ohm is the maximum resistance you can use, this has been tested and proved. Any higher and the computer will not be fooled into thinking there is a bulb there)
    1 x Soldering iron
    Solder
    4 x BA9S T4W Flank LED bulb (eBay) Map reading lights
    2 x 42mm LED festoon bulb (eBay) Front ceiling lights
    2 x 36mm LED festoon bulb (eBay) Number plate lights - Use metal LED's NOT plastic. See important note at bottom of page!
    5 (for 3 door) or 7 (for 5 door) x 168 194 refractor wedge LED bulbs (eBay) Puddle lights, foot well and boot

IMPORTANT NOTE: I discovered when ordering bulbs off eBay that they are not all the same colour white. The difference is only very slight but if your ceiling festoon and map reading bulbs are ever so slightly different colour white, would it bother you? It bothered me! The only way I got round this was trial and error. I ordered several different types of festoon bulbs off eBay to match my map reading bulbs, after only 2 tries I found a match! This is the only place in the car where you will see the difference in colour as the bulbs are next to each other. Everywhere else will not matter!

IMPORTANT NOTE: It seems that the DIS may work with a tolerance. I can use 150 Ohm resistors in the number plate set-up but it seems others are having problems. If 1 resistor does not work then install a second resistor in the other fitment. This way you can double the current and fool the DIS.

Why are LEDs a trouble to install?
    The installation part is not so difficult, in the most part it is just a matter of taking the filament bulb out and putting the new LED bulb in. The difficult part is getting the car to think there is a bulb there and to supply it power. Audis being Audis monitor every bulb in the car, if the car detects there is no power or very little power being used in a lighting circuit it will cut the power from it, hence switching the bulb off. LEDs use much less power than filament bulbs. This is why we put a resistor in the circuit to fool the car into thinking there is a bulb there and to send it power.

Interior Bulbs
    Festoon and map reading, front and rear
    Remove the clear plastic guard by levering it off with a screw driver, it will unclip. Now you can see the first two festoon bulbs. Now lever off the dark plastic guard, you should see the two map reading bulbs. There are two screws near the top of the panel, remove them and use a screw driver to lever off this unit. Unclip the electrical wires so the unit is free from the car. Place this unit to one side.

Now go into the back of the car, find the map reading unit and gently lever it off with a screw driver. Disconnect the electrical wire and place the unit to one side.

You should now have the front lighting unit and the rear lighting unit in front of you.

Remove all the old filament bulbs from the units. You should have six bulbs. Now look at the rear light unit, you will need to solder a resistor like shown below. This resistor is used to stop the lights being on very dim when they are meant to be off. Insert the 2 x flank LED bulbs in the rear unit and the 2 x 42mm festoon LED in the front unit. Now, in the front unit there is a little bit of difficulty getting the map reading bulbs to face down, this is due to the way they are designed. To get them to face down you need to push them in with a little force, making the metal spring part of the bulb holder bend back a little and then turn the bulb to be secured behind the plastic guard. Looking at the unit you will see what I mean. This is the interior ceiling LEDs complete! Reattach the units and test! If the festoons do not light up try turning them around, LEDs are omni directional and can only pass current one way.

Foot well
    Use a small screw driver to pry the clear foot well light off. You will see the wedge type bulb in the casing. Unclip the power supply and remove the unit, do this to both the drivers foot well and passengers foot well. Remove the cream plastic guard, you do not need this. Attach a resistor as shown below. Only attach 1 resistor to either unit. Insert the 2 x wedge LED bulbs, 1 into each unit and reattach and test. Again, the same rule applies, if they dont light up turn the LEDs around.

Boot
    Do the same as the foot well and attach a resistor. I believe the boot bulb is used in the puddle light circuit, this is why we are putting a resistor here. Reattach and test.

Exterior Bulbs
    Puddle Lights
    The puddle lights used the same style holder as the foot well but you cant completely remove them. When you pry the clear plastic off you will see a cream coloured guard over the bulb, remove this with some pliers, be sure it doesnt snap off into the door card or you will get a rattle! To change the bulb use a screwdriver to gently remove the bulb, be careful not to touch the positive and negative sides of the bulb holder with the screwdriver as you will blow a fuse. Once the filament bulb is out replace it with the wedge LED. Do this on both sides. If you have a 5 door the rear doors are more difficult. I couldnt replace the bulbs in the rear doors as they were guarded by black plastic. I asked my dealer to replace the bulbs for me when I went in for an oil change, they had no problem in doing it.

IMPORTANT NOTE: When installing the puddle lights be sure to secure the bulb in place with some duck tape. This is necessary as the LED bulb is quite loose in the holder and can fall out into the door card. The duck tape will insure this wont happen. Getting a bulb out of a door card is a very annoying job!

Number Plate Lights
    Remove the light units by using a small Philips screwdriver. Remove the old filament bulbs and attach a resistor to each fitment as show below, be sure the resistor is secured in place and has a gap from the bulb as it will get quite hot. Insert the 2 x 36mm festoon LEDs into the light units, 1 in each, reattach and test, again, if one does not light, turn the LED around.

IMPORTANT NOTE: The number plate LED mod has not been without a few problems. When the resistor is wired in this setup it is passing current a lot of the time. Due to this it can get hot! When i was testing with the 100 Ohm and 120 Ohm resistors it managed to melt the LED bulb and stop it from working. I am now trying with a 150 Ohm resistor, this will only be outputting 0.96 watts of heat. I am still testing to make sure this does not melt the bulb, I am confident it will be sufficient this time! We use 2 resistors in this set-up as only 1 can trigger a bulb warning fault on the DIS. Having 2 resistors in the set-up ensures that there is enough current being drawn to fool the DIS into thinking there is something there!

IMPORTANT NOTE: I have just purchased more 36mm festoon LED's off eBay. They are made of metal, not plastic. I believe they can handle the heat a lot better than the original LED's i used. I advise purchasing these LED's over the plastic ones. This is what they look like:

There! You are done! Now sit back and wait for it to get dark and marvel at your gorgeous lighting setup!

The end set-up:

Thank for the Info I have just fitted hight output red Led to footwell light I used a feston bulb as could not get wedge to fit had to solder in and modify but suspected it a resisor issue as worked ok on first one but now both done only stops on a minute

And this post saved hours messing about with values

Trip ddown to Maplins

``!!$al ---

Status
    which led bulb do i need for glovebox light ???

Sal
    '12 Merc Benz C250 AMG Sport Auto
    '11
    BMW 325i Sports Coupe
    (Sold)
    '11 Merc Benz C250 Sport
    (Sold)
    '59
    A3 2.0 TDI Black Edition (Sold)
    '08 Mini John Cooper Works (Write Off)
    '09 A3 2.0 TDI Black Edition (Sold)
    '58 BMW 120M Sport (Sold)

On Wish List : Merc CL63 AMG Coupe

4th Gear

Status
    is there a link for a person whos selling all of the follwing
    main light
    map light
    rear interor light
    glove box
    boot light,

4th Gear

Status
    are these the right ones everyones using?
    x2 main light http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1pc-4...Q5fAccessories
    x2 map lights http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/2pcs-BA9S-T4W-...item2c53aea47c
    x2 rear interor light same as the front main light?
    x4 glove box/boot /footwell light http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/2pcs-...Q5fAccessories

vorsprung Durch Technik

Status
    i want change number plate bulbs in my a3 sportback tdi 2006/// can anyone tell me what size they are ?
    Full leather/19"wheels/cruise/

3rd Gear

Status
    Just done the LED conversion today with cracking results... although I'm assuming more than 5 resistors is needed as I've got a very dim glow coming from the front main lights (not map reading ones) only when the ignition is on and the button is set to the middle.
    I've put a resistor in passanger/driver footwell, one in each number late light which would only leave me with one for the boot. Yet to do the puddle lights.
    Rear map lights seem to be ok without resistors, no dim glow...only from front main. Would a resistor sort this out?

These are the only pics I have at the moment taken with phone as camera is goosed!
    I'll upload some better ones when I have them.

Also no error on DIS from anywhere...tocuh wood.

A3 8P2 2.0TDI S-Line 170 SB | Brilliant Red | Full Leather | BOSE | 6 Disc Changer | None Smoking Pack | Light Interior Pack (Converted to LEDs) | Rear Parking Sensors | S3 Air Vents | S3 Mirrors - Stolen!| S3 Pedals |

(●̮̮̃̃) (●̮̮̃̃)

Status
    Looks good mate! Face lift tail lights would finish that rear off nicely!

3rd Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by scottie123 View Post
    Looks good mate! Face lift tail lights would finish that rear off nicely!
    :P
    A3 8P2 2.0TDI S-Line 170 SB | Brilliant Red | Full Leather | BOSE | 6 Disc Changer | None Smoking Pack | Light Interior Pack (Converted to LEDs) | Rear Parking Sensors | S3 Air Vents | S3 Mirrors - Stolen!| S3 Pedals |

3rd Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by mdre83 View Post
    Just done the LED conversion today with cracking results... although I'm assuming more than 5 resistors is needed as I've got a very dim glow coming from the front main lights (not map reading ones) only when the ignition is on and the button is set to the middle.
    I've put a resistor in passanger/driver footwell, one in each number late light which would only leave me with one for the boot. Yet to do the puddle lights.
    Rear map lights seem to be ok without resistors, no dim glow...only from front main. Would a resistor sort this out?

These are the only pics I have at the moment taken with phone as camera is goosed!
    I'll upload some better ones when I have them.

Also no error on DIS from anywhere...tocuh wood.
    I've just added a resistor to the rear map lights as shown within initial post.

Plugged the rear unit back in and it blow fuse 15 (interior Lighting)

Any idea why this would happen, a bit reluctant now to add the resistor back in to prevent the dim glow incase the fuse blows again.

Blue line shows the break...

Glove box is also done, no resistors needed here... I have no error on DIS.
    Last edited by mdre83; 15th April 2010 at 14:54. Reason: Added pic...

3rd Gear

Status
    Anyone?

Also can't get the boot light one working...

3rd Gear

Status
    Bump, no one got any ideas?

Reverse Gear

Status
    same prob as above

brought some 501 w/ resistors for the glove box and the boot - the original blubs for both boot and glove box were the same model etc however the 501's i purchased, the glove box fits fine and the light works perfectly - the same 501's doesn't work for the boot, tried both ways and nothing happens ...any ideas? or am i using the wrong model?

its for a3 - 3door - 56 plate

vorsprung Durch Technik

Status
    should be the same.......try it without resistor

3rd Gear

Status
    I have my rear map lights in, without a resistor and the front main ceiling lights have a dim glow... ?
    Adding a resistor to the rear maps lights blows the fuse...?

Reverse Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by vw754 View Post
    should be the same.......try it without resistor
    there build in resistors.

2nd Gear

Status
    What size are the festoon bulbs in the back on the ceiling? sorry if its been mentioned

1st Gear

Status
    Anyone know if the rear ceiling bulbs are the same size as the front?

Cheers

vorsprung Durch Technik

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by r3stu View Post
    Anyone know if the rear ceiling bulbs are the same size as the front?

Cheers
    front are 42mm and rear 36mm (same as number plate ones)

1st Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by mdre83 View Post
    I have my rear map lights in, without a resistor and the front main ceiling lights have a dim glow... ?
    Adding a resistor to the rear maps lights blows the fuse...?
    Sorry to dig up this thread, but how do you fix this "dim light" problem?

I have changed out the rear map lights and the numberplates with no problem.....The front mains are still yellow and the 42mm LED's are on order.....

Just want to be prepared for when they arrive so I know what to do to fix it?
    MY 07 IMOLA S3 FOR SALE............
    http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classifi...98ba?logcode=p

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast