Yet Another Problem...

Ash B

Reaction score
Good morning all

After a long shift last night on my way home about 11:30pm and me ESP light keeps flashing but im going in a straight line and im doing like 35mph if that probably slower. Car started pulling to the the left (like really pulling i had to keep straighting up and turning the wheel to the right) and the steering wheel...Hmm how to explain f*cked more a less.
More a less i was driving and car back end was pulling out. So the car at 3 stages was going sides ways down a road. In the end i pulled over and got out to check my car out. Turned off engine problem wasnt as bad but steering still felt the same and was a bit of pulling and ESP light kept flashing. Phoned Audi Road Assistance when i got home some one suppose to be coming between 6:30-7:30 got work at 8 :banghead: Any of you guys know what it could be?

Thanks
Ashley

Audi Road Assistance just came he send some thing was BENT by my rear right wheel! Was here for under 1 minute. As i just took it for a little test drive around my estate and he came and said he noticed straight away the back end was out. Will take photos now and post up

First photo not sure if you can see the little bend?

18112008783.jpg

Anyway here some more photos

18112008782.jpg

Now photo of the left wheel as you can see its straight looks fine and now the right one where the problem is as yo ucan see the alloy goes in! As yu can see from the photos its bent
18112008784.jpg

18112008785.jpg

Did he fix it or say what was bent. Do you remember hitting anything last night.

He did but i cant actually remember what he said. There getting recovery to collect my car. Nope never hit any thing on the way home. Only thing that i can remember before the problems started was when it start p*ssing down and i was just going around the round about by me and the can did skid but never hit any thing there nothing close enough to actually hit

Did he fix it or say what was bent. Do you remember hitting anything last night.

Well either you have hit something or something has hit you to bend the lower arm.

It would take a fair bit of force to do that, unless it is totally rotten through with rust.

Paul

You must have some very deep potholes on the roads close to you. It the alloy wheel damaged too?

Yes alloy has a lovely big part of it taken out of it. Only been on my car for two weeks! Not even that :keule: On the round about there a few potholes but never been a problem before. So later on and when its not so busy i am actually gonna have a look at where i skidded by. Because what ever i hit or hit me took about 4inch in length off my alloy and 2cm width off my alloys. Got them booked in for start of december to be refurbished and change colour for £225 thats also includes demounting/refitting tyres to wheels and car. Didnt really want to spend too much on my car as i was going to be putting a deposit down for a new a3 for 09 :crying:
ahh have to wait. I was 2hours late for work aswell to top it off

You must have some very deep potholes on the roads close to you. It the alloy wheel damaged too?

Hi paul thats what i thought to bend it, it would take a bit of force when i did have a look at it though this morning it was a bit rotten. Its been recovered so just waiting for a reply now. I have to pay £120 for them to do a health check. And then they will tell me about the damage and price.
Not happy at all as i was putting a deposit down on a new a3 for next year that will have to wait. And seeing its christmas coming up soon.

Well either you have hit something or something has hit you to bend the lower arm.

It would take a fair bit of force to do that, unless it is totally rotten through with rust.

Paul

Well with the force required to do that, personally I would be dubious about relying on either that tyre or alloy and would certainly make sure that they are checked out.

Paul

Wowaaah - that's really bad!
As said, you'd hope you've hit something, big pot hole ro something, because if that is a failure and it happened at speed it could be really bad!

Keep us posted on how this one develops.

Yeah im gonna have to get the tyre and alloy checked out before i can do any thing really.

Well with the force required to do that, personally I would be dubious about relying on either that tyre or alloy and would certainly make sure that they are checked out.

Paul

Hi jamie Its only small but as you can see its done some damage as the alloys gone in. I could not go faster then 15mph last night. Before i noticed i was doing 30mph and thats when the car started going side to side. So i just had to slow down before i ended up writing off my car. Took me about 15minutes to get home which normaly takes like 4minutes.

Audi did happen to call and i spoke to liz who all ways seems to p*ss me off and just said some thing about wheel spin's which i did lose my cool to. As liz at Cardiff Audi always says some thing about that and about my tyres but at Bridgend Audi its different. I deal with Garry from Bridgend really nice guy never says nothing about wheel spins or my tyres. Treated much better at there end for service then Cardiff.

Wowaaah - that's really bad!
As said, you'd hope you've hit something, big pot hole ro something, because if that is a failure and it happened at speed it could be really bad!

Keep us posted on how this one develops.

I'd be very surprised if that alloy wasn't buckled for that to have happened.

The track control arm is quite an easy part to change and I dare say you'd get one for a good price from a scrappy. I've not checked the numbers but I'd wager it's a 1K part in which case it'll be common on the A5 Chassis range so Golf, Octy, Leon and derivatives of those.

Ok audi never called my mobile decided to call my house phone and speak to my mum as i still live at home. Anyway said with the damage im looking to pay over £2,000. This is the list my name took down which i need:
Sup Arms b
Shock Abs
rear Coil Springs
Offiside Front Arm
Shocks
Rear Speed Sensor
Drop Link
3 slip arms
She didnt write the rest down she said.
So then they said £1.800 and car can be down by friday or monday!
They are gonna print out what i need and they said its about 7hours labour! So to be honest f*ck a new car. And mods on my car i need to get my car back on the road or i cant work.

To be honest cars least of the worrys right now as i've also been told i have to move out GREAT STUFF! So looking for a place next week staying at friends this week gave her some money to put me up. To be honest im not quite sure what to say i dont see how all this damage was coursed like i would of had to smash into some thing with such force! To do all that damage. And i would of noticed i doubt my car would of even got home like this is from a pothole or something i've hit!:banghead:

Pay day next friday all the money going to the car. To be honest im devastated. I know it may sound sad but i LOVE my car and for the damage which has been done to her. Im gonna go pay for her to get fixed and have to sell it to rent a place for a few months.
Going to put car up for sale at about £7,000 :(

Thanks Every one for the help on this subject
Ashley:thumbsup:

I think I'd get a scond opinion on that mate.

I had a quick look and I'd say the track control arm is around £65.

They've listed a whole load of stuff that 'might' need changing IMHO.

That what i was thinking i thought it could hit about £1,000 and maybe lowest £500 but when they said £2250 i couldnt believe it!
Im not quite sure who could look at my car

I think I'd get a scond opinion on that mate.

I had a quick look and I'd say the track control arm is around £65.

They've listed a whole load of stuff that 'might' need changing IMHO.

Feck it Ash, I cant see how its 2k tbh, it seems a complete load of ****** to me, god take some more images so I can see & Stu of the damage, I'm sure someone is local to you who would help you to jack up & change parts, I cant see how all those parts need changing no ****** way mate, I had a rear track arm go on my s3 ages ago, had to replace arms & as it broke the rear shaft bearing housing had to do this, but I'd say they are trying there luck mate & I certainly would get a 2nd opinion & ask to see all the damage before you do anything.

Feck it you can pay me & Stu to come down & change it for yer, lol, what yer think Stu???? lol

Get some more images of the whole inside rear where they say all damaged.

I mean we could be wrong but I fecking hate it when the stealers do this & take the **** of people who maybe dont understand whats happened & take serious advantage of the situation.

I've got fair few tools & meaty trolley jack.

Have you checked the route out to see if there are any big potholes.

Insurance claim ?

With that amount of damage you must have felt when it happened. That or someone hit it when it was parked, but I would have thought that you would also have bodywork damage.

Paul

The dealer will probably be hoping you'll claim it through the insurance hence the price. As said, a few more pics might help us get a clearer picture. Sounds a crazy price!

I'm with Nige and Stu, no way is that 2Ks worth. As it's just happened you can probably just swop the track control arm and you'll be good to go!

I think I'd add the wheel and maybe tyre to that John.

The track control arm will include new bushes and I wouldn't think the shock absorber would be bent as they will have an element of movement available via the mountings and bushes.

I can only assume they've seen an error with the rear wheel speed sensor to make them question that, I'd change the bent parts first and then see what happens.

I can only assume they've seen an error with the rear wheel speed sensor to make them question that, I'd change the bent parts first and then see what happens.

Possibly because the wheel is at the wrong angle and so turning at a difference speed to the others ?

Yeah thats all I had done when it happened on my S3, the track arm & the only reason the rear shaft was replaced was cause they didnt notice the bearing cage had been broken up so I drove of to the metallic noise of crunching metal, but even so we we're talking £200-300 max & nothing else was changed, I mean these things are fairly solid & given the image you have shown there isnt much out at all, mine was literall almost bent right in & nothing else was fecked up so you can see how it would be so strong, shocks, springs, sensor definitely question that & maybe others that they state need changing, 2k my left nad!!!!! But then again we're talking £100 an hour plus parts.

Possibly John, I was meaning to add a wheel and or tyre to the repair bill, if the OP get's 4 new wheels then all the better.

Alright nigel long time no speak! How things? Seems like loads of ****** to me aswell have not heard any thing from them today as they are speaking to my mum now instead of me. Few people said they will check my car out its just transporting it. I might see if i can get a car for the day to pick a few of them up and bring them to mine when the car back.
I'd rather pay you then Cardiff Audi. well matter as fact any one else bedsides cardiff audi. Think i get the car back tomorrow so i will take a few photos and upload the photos.

Feck it Ash, I cant see how its 2k tbh, it seems a complete load of ****** to me, god take some more images so I can see & Stu of the damage, I'm sure someone is local to you who would help you to jack up & change parts, I cant see how all those parts need changing no ****** way mate, I had a rear track arm go on my s3 ages ago, had to replace arms & as it broke the rear shaft bearing housing had to do this, but I'd say they are trying there luck mate & I certainly would get a 2nd opinion & ask to see all the damage before you do anything.

Feck it you can pay me & Stu to come down & change it for yer, lol, what yer think Stu???? lol

Get some more images of the whole inside rear where they say all damaged.

I mean we could be wrong but I fecking hate it when the stealers do this & take the **** of people who maybe dont understand whats happened & take serious advantage of the situation.

I've got fair few tools & meaty trolley jack.

To be honest i dont think it needs all those parts changing. I did go back last night and check the pothole its quite big! No one hit me while parked up as there be damage and probably a nice dent to the rear part of my car. Not sure if i want to go through insurance rather just pay a garage to fix it.

Insurance claim ?

With that amount of damage you must have felt when it happened. That or someone hit it when it was parked, but I would have thought that you would also have bodywork damage.

Paul

Hi Khufu think i get the car back tomorrow so i will take few photos of under the car etc so you can actually see

The dealer will probably be hoping you'll claim it through the insurance hence the price. As said, a few more pics might help us get a clearer picture. Sounds a crazy price!

Thats what im thinking they tried there lucky before with a clutch and i said no got the gear linkage done and the car been fine since. So i might pay to get that done and see how it goes.

I'm with Nige and Stu, no way is that 2Ks worth. As it's just happened you can probably just swop the track control arm and you'll be good to go!

Tyre fine and the alloy seem fine when i looked at it besides the big mark on it. Tyre hasnt gone done or any thing. But probably be best to get a new alloy and tyre. Few people of recommended changing the bent parts and seeing how it goes. And that Cardiff Audi do try there luck with people. Funny how it went from £2000 to £1,700

I think I'd add the wheel and maybe tyre to that John.

The track control arm will include new bushes and I wouldn't think the shock absorber would be bent as they will have an element of movement available via the mountings and bushes.

I think most of the cost it the labour to be honest. There was no crunching metal noise when i drove the car early yesterday morning.
My friend bent both sides on his yellow seat leon and he was like no why should that little thing cost that much. And saying to try other places and just replace the bent parts. I need to make my mind up this week two days with no car driving my mad. And i dont want to ask people to drive me to work or home. So will be buses YAY :happy:
Might just go cardiff audi and just say fix the bent parts nothing else and if the car fine well...:nunu:Question them

Yeah thats all I had done when it happened on my S3, the track arm & the only reason the rear shaft was replaced was cause they didnt notice the bearing cage had been broken up so I drove of to the metallic noise of crunching metal, but even so we we're talking £200-300 max & nothing else was changed, I mean these things are fairly solid & given the image you have shown there isnt much out at all, mine was literall almost bent right in & nothing else was fecked up so you can see how it would be so strong, shocks, springs, sensor definitely question that & maybe others that they state need changing, 2k my left nad!!!!! But then again we're talking £100 an hour plus parts.

Yeah was looking at those but they fit early a4 and 8l A3.
Minds made up about colour though :)

Indeed, but wasn't he after these bad boys?

767e_1.JPG

Ask them to give you a price for the track control arm (and fitting if you don't feel able).

That's where I'd start. Once you have that done the car should be drivable for short distances at low speeds, you can then take it to a tyre centre and ask them to take the tyre off and put the wheel on the balance machine and see if it is buckled.

ah it clears now, same stealer that said about the clutch, makes sense, screw you for anything they can time.

I'd get it done by an independent mate, but whats audi quote to change the bent parts only & make sure they're very clear with you what parts are bent & will be changed & the book time to change them, they should be able to give you an exact cost to the letter anyway as all jobs are in the book for timescale.

But as I said fella from the angle of your wheel its minor in comparison to what mine was so I doubt very much its any of the other parts gone aswell, very much doubt.

Anyway what happened about these lights as no replies from msn anymore fella, PM more info please.

Ask them to give you a price for the track control arm (and fitting if you don't feel able).

That's where I'd start. Once you have that done the car should be drivable for short distances at low speeds, you can then take it to a tyre centre and ask them to take the tyre off and put the wheel on the balance machine and see if it is buckled.

Yeah I'd agree with Stu on this tbh, not saying get audi to do but just find price on the arm only, then you can determine anymore issues arise which I doubt & yeah easily check wheel for buckle, but mine didnt even do any damage to the wheel either.

I will call down there tomorrow to get price for the arm and then check the wheel when i actually have the car back.

Yeah I'd agree with Stu on this tbh, not saying get audi to do but just find price on the arm only, then you can determine anymore issues arise which I doubt & yeah easily check wheel for buckle, but mine didnt even do any damage to the wheel either.

Will ask thanks for the help:thumbsup:Will only be driving car to work and home. and will take tyre to a centre to see if my wheel been buckled..
Thanks for the help
Ashley

Yes that why i dont trust them to be honest a*seholes :)
I will ask for all that. IF i think for them to fit it too much there a few people who said they will have a look at my car and fix any problems. thanks for the help

ah it clears now, same stealer that said about the clutch, makes sense, screw you for anything they can time.

I'd get it done by an independent mate, but whats audi quote to change the bent parts only & make sure they're very clear with you what parts are bent & will be changed & the book time to change them, they should be able to give you an exact cost to the letter anyway as all jobs are in the book for timescale.

But as I said fella from the angle of your wheel its minor in comparison to what mine was so I doubt very much its any of the other parts gone aswell, very much doubt.

Anyway what happened about these lights as no replies from msn anymore fella, PM more info please.

Forgot to say have not spoke to my mum today so audi could of said other things so will not now till later
Ashley

Insurance claim ?

Paul

When Paul mentioned insurance, I don't think he meant yours. If you have hit a pothole on a public road, then the council are liable (sub standard road maintenance) and should pay for the damage. You need to take photographic evidence to prove your case though. I imagine a call to the local council will give you more information.

You have a point there im sure some one on here had a problem with a pothole and got the council to pay for the damage. Will go take photos tomorrow Thanks for that john

Ashley

When Paul mentioned insurance, I don't think he meant yours. If you have hit a pothole on a public road, then the council are liable (sub standard road maintenance) and should pay for the damage. You need to take photographic evidence to prove your case though. I imagine a call to the local council will give you more information.

John's got a good point fella the council are fully liable for the pothole & damage to your car if thats the case, get back down there & take photos asap as this could save you any cost whatsoever fella, dont let it pass get your asssse down there ashley boy

I made a claim against our local council for the undertrays on my first Octy RS. Several large speed humps on the access road to where I lived were over the recomended maximum and smashed the entire under trays, front to back.

It takes months but if you can prove that it happened there then go for it.

I will, i'm gonna ask my mate to take me with a torch and camera lol!
so take some photo of the ******* that done this damage
You know what the council like. Going to scan the form now because im sure one down some damage to there car in a country lane in a pothole.
Ashley

John's got a good point fella the council are fully liable for the pothole & damage to your car if thats the case, get back down there & take photos asap as this could save you any cost whatsoever fella, dont let it pass get your asssse down there ashley boy

I'd do some during daylight morning incase they are there 1st thing filling the hole, even if its filled they have a record of when it was done & you can confirm with the council this & then still have a valid claim no matter if its months but of this severity I doubt will be months based on loss of car use & you could claim for loss of earnings & wages for no car & failure to correct road issues.