AH FabricationsSky Insurance
    Neutral

Status

Jerky gearchange

Yet another problem!.. The gearchange on my A3 (53 reg 2.0 FSI Sport tiptronic - [not DSG/S-tronic]) has become rough and jerky. This happens when the gearbox changes both up and down, though usually at lower revs and speeds, and not so much in "manual" mode. No warning lights on the dash, and no strange noises. I presume VAG-COM is the best start, but any suggestions as to what the problem could actually be? Cheers.

2. # ADS
    ADS

Lord of War

Status
    i thought all 8Ps were dsg...

Lord of War

Status
    when was the oil in it last changed?

6th Gear

Status
    I think I remember reading about jerky autos can be cause by fluid & filter needing changing too.
    2003-2008 1998 Red A3 8L 1.8 Sport
    2008 -> 2003 Akoya Silver A3 8P1 2.0 FSi Sport

Quote Originally Posted by Eeef View Post
    i thought all 8Ps were dsg...
    Back in 2003 Audi only offered the DSG on the 2.0TDI and the 3.2. The 2.0 FSI Sport had the normal automatic. This was also offered for a while on the 1.6 engine version as well.
    Dave R (h5djr)
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    A3 8V 2.0 TDI-184 Sportback Sport s-tronic quattro - Silver + lots of options - my 9th A3

Lord of War

Status
    fair enough, my second comment stands though, when was the gearbox oil last changed?

Neutral

Status
    The gearbox oil has never been changed. The handbook says it's sealed for life, and I've never been entirely comfortable with this.

I've called three or four Audi dealers about it in the past, as well as Audi Customer Care, and they either say i) it's sealed life, or ii) they make the same mistake as Eeef (no offence Eeef!) and tell me the 8P A3 has only ever had the DSG or CVT multitronic auto gearbox, and so needs to be changed every 40k miles. Audi Customer Care said told me the latter, and it was just pointless in the end trying to convince them that it's a standard auto!

If the garage I take it to doesn't know what gearbox I've got then how can I trust them to use the right oil if I do opt for a change?!