• Yes, and in snazzy aluminium finish.

Votes: 42 72.4%
  • Yes, but in subtle black finish.

Votes: 3 5.2%

• Total voters

RacingTeatray

Freezing in Moscow
Reaction score
Trying to spec up an S3 Sportback. What do you all think - roofrails or no roofrails? If so, silver or black? I cannot make my mind up. My mother has an A3 Sportback 2.0 TDi SE which doesn't have them, and I've always thought it would have looked better with them. But I'm not sure about the S3.

Car will be either by Brilliant Black (non-metallic) or Deep Sea Blue (metallic) - not decided that yet either.

I think they great, especially on the darker colours. My Sportback didn't have them so I retrofitted them. It was a lot of work and much more expensive than if they were fitted from the factory. So my advice would be to make sure you decide before ordering and tick that options box before it's to late.

Black with silver roof rails but then i am biased as i have them.

Blue sprint with silver rails, thats how am expecting to see mine..

Absolutely great, and makes the car look really good. Would never have bought the sportback without them. On top of that it provides the possibilty of carrying large items with little hassle. Highly recommended.
Don't leave the dealership without them. Mine are silver on a dolphin grey car. :yum:

Ok - thanks. Interesting. Looks like massive favouring of the aluminium ones!

On non-S3 Sportback models I think roof rails make the car. Look so plain without.

Not sure about the S3 though as cant recall if the ones I have seen have had them or not? Need to see some pics to decide!

Depends whether you want a `compact Avant` or `large hatch` look.
Ive always thought the SB looked somewhere in between, quite unique in that respect.
Roof rails will give it a classy, fast work-horse, look.

Paul

Didn't have them on my SB.
Don't like them on one either.
It's a 5 door hatch, not an estate.
Just as roofrails would look daft on a 5-door Focus/Golf, they look daft on a SB, IMO.

where is the best place to buy the roofrails from ? I have just got myself a black sline sportback 2nd hand that doesnt have them but I really want them. I read above they are costly to fit, how much roughly?

Yip, definately aluminium ones. Ive got them on my silver sportback, and look the part.. Ive seen some with the black on and im my opinion dont look right..

On a black car I'd go for black rails - I did on my phantom black S3 and I think that they add a subtle effect to the sleekness of the car, but don't look like a mini avant. I've seen a few black A3's with alloy bars and would def go with black bars again. Just my humble opinion so pls don't flame me :)

For blue though, alloy rails, no question.

Roof rails are one option I really wish I had ticked on my car. They are like the icing on the cake and just finish the car off beautifully.

like this guy says if you carry stuff yes if not no they look horrible ruin the smoothness look of the car

Absolutely great, and makes the car look really good. Would never have bought the sportback without them. On top of that it provides the possibilty of carrying large items with little hassle. Highly recommended.
Don't leave the dealership without them. Mine are silver on a dolphin grey car. :yum:

thomas i think you would have to drop the headlining and drill the roof, a bodyshop would do this for you but it would be a good idea to get a quote before buying the rails as i bet it will cost a fair bit.

Just ordered a Black SB without rails...anyone got a pic of a black one with aluminium rails to see if I made a mistake ?!

Also, can't remember how much to add..that info would be good to !

S3 sportback in Sprint blue with aluminium rails looks just great as they match the mirror covers very nicely.

Go for it

DSC03417.jpg

Thats mine, alu roof rails to match S3 mirrors and S3 grille.

I would go for them, think they look quality, if only they did them for the 3 door too!

if you wana look like a sales man who couldnt afford an a6 go for it but i think it just makes the car look naf it depends what look you want if you want a clean look with slick lines then dropped big rims and noooo roof rails if you wana look like clark kent goin to work get roof rails lol

I would go for them, think they look quality, if only they did them for the 3 door too!

if you wana look like a sales man who couldnt afford an a6 go for it but i think it just makes the car look naf it depends what look you want if you want a clean look with slick lines then dropped big rims and noooo roof rails if you wana look like clark kent goin to work get roof rails lol

Just my opinion. Surely if he wanted to look like a salesman he'd buy a mondeo or an astra.

thats oldshcool mate nowadays its defo audis estates... i just gave my opinion no offence to you guys sporting raks

Just my opinion. Surely if he wanted to look like a salesman he'd buy a mondeo or an astra.

where is the best place to buy the roofrails from ? I have just got myself a black sline sportback 2nd hand that doesnt have them but I really want them. I read above they are costly to fit, how much roughly?

Thomas, I bought the kit from VAGparts, I think it was around £290. It was a great kit with all the bits needed, templates, bolts, fitting instructions etc. Unfortunately, they've given up now so pretty useless info for you really. I've not seen the kits advertised since.

If you want to price it all from Audi drop me a PM, I'll give you the part numbers. I've also got the roof templates and fitting instructions if you want them.

It was a lot of work but nothing to serious, only nuts and bolts but you do have to drill holes in the roof so you need the templates. If you enjoy pulling cars apart, a bit of fun really.

Conversely if you want to look like a salesman who couldn't afford an A6 and couldn't afford roof rails don't have them! :)

I thought the Clark Kent option was only available on Lava Brown vehicles, or should it be Kryptonite Brown. :)