Golf GTI or A3 Equivalent

B

Boydie

Right guys - probably a thread done to death before but I want some fresh views on this.

I am not just ready to change my car but I have been thinking about this a while now what to change to and nothing really appeals to me apart from maybe another derv A3 or a GTI Golf

But I LOVE the A3 and I am afraid that I would feel hard done by if I got a GTI Golf and not the A3

So.... the choices:

Fully loaded GTI - MFSW, leather, satnav, xenons, 3door etc...

Like this (i know this is a ED30)

vw_golfgti2007_021.jpg

Fully loaded A3 - S-Line spec, optics etc...what you would expect

Plus the majority of my mods can transfer either way (mostly to the A3 obviously)

What are the opinions? particularly those who have owned both or have either at the minute!

Thanks

It would depend on whether you put more emphasis on the better interior and badge snobbery associated with the A3, or the better drivers car in the GTI.

Personally, I don't find the GTI interior poor next to the A3...but some do.
The A3 is an inferior drive next to the GTI though...so if it were me, I'd have the GTI.

I have never owned a hot hatch and I do not drive/race as I have never owned anything like that before but the GTI is very appealling but I love the look and feel good factor of the A3 - snobbery if you will....

I feel if I bought the A3 I would have missed out on the GTI and like wise if I bought the GTI :(

Gti is cheaper though

I will be 24 by the time I make a decision and most of my mates have or have had their hot hatches :(

A3 S-line for me. Prefer the looks and the interior plus economy of the diesel engine in this case against the petrol.

GTI is nice but I'm not interested in a hot hatch.

One other thing though is that you might not feel like you've got a new car if you get another A3 as its essentially going to be the same as what you've got.

Difficult to compare exactly at the moment as their is a new Golf 6 due out in January and no doubt a new GTI some months later.

I have owned 3 Golf GTIs in the past and I am now on my 6th A3. I tried to do a price comparison between an A3 and a Golf the other day but I cannot get the spec I would like in a Golf.

I thought the 8p and golf 5 shared a chassis? Apart from suspension there wont be much in it where the drive is concerned or am I wrong?

The Golf is just as well made I reckon too, then again the new Octavia VRS is suprisingly good too, and that is a bargain, they are fetching under 10k these days, just a shame its no looker!

If we are talking ED30 v 2WD A3 Derv then it would be the ED30 without a doubt.
Chalk and Cheese IMO.

The MK5 gives you the `hot hatch`experience but without any of the image issues that other hot hatches may have.
Fun, cool, well made and desirable, but not without its problems if mine was anything to go by.

I owned a MK5 Gti and its interior certainly wasnt shabby at all. Maybe not as good as a nice spec A3 but shabby it aint especially when youve been used to a HONDA.

Ive not owned an A3 or a derv for that matter btw but any A3 in a nice spec/colour combo is a nice thing to have.

ED30 v A3 20T is a much harder choice.

cheers
Paul

Boydie,

Abit of a difficult one. I had this predicament just the other day, was gonna chop the A3 in for a TT-S roadster, but decided against it. What A3 would you want? Aren't you better off keeping yours now?

I didn't used to like Golfs, deffo used to be a "snob", but I'm getting into this whole "euro" theme.....these Golfs have wet my taste buds.....

R32onA820s.jpg

SickGolfGTI3.jpg

LomaxGTI.jpg

SickGolfGTI.jpg

It just depends what your after.....

I had the A3 2.0T Quattro before which I suppose is the equivalent of the Golf GTI and the drive is not as good by a long way. It's not bad, but not as focused as the Golf. The interior I think is far superior though. I got into a mate's R32 after having my A3 for a while and I was really diappointed.

A standard GTI looks a lot better than the A3 from the outside. And has more presence!

If I could turn back the clock I would have got the Golf.

I would go for the GTi just for the driving pleasure. The GTi feels much more fun than the A3, even if you are just driving to the shops. I have driven both and you just can't beat the feel of the GTi. Plus the GTi might not depreciate as much.

Good points and I appreciate the comments

To set the record straight this is 2.0TFSI vs 2.0TFSI - no dervs!!!

Driving fun - I have not experienced the hot hatch funness on my own, always as a passenger in mates cars and have enjoyed it. But I am not a racer, I prefer looks with a decent but of power but I have been pining about a GTI for a while - what to do :(

i made this decision before i got the A3 but with the Golf GTI, the dash was rattley, lots of yobs/stuck up yound busines men/druggys have got them in manchester and i had a Golf before and didnt want one again....

But the main things which talked me out of the golf was the rattley interior.. i drove two and they both had some kind of rattle. And being 18, the insurance on a GTi was £2300 as opposed to the £1300ish im paying now on the A3 (and GTI was a bit dearer than the A3).... But if insurance werent an issue, it would have been a dam lto harder to make the decisiong..but if i were in your boots, I'd have the 2.0T A3...personaly

If you did want a golf, I was glancing at an R32 or Ed30 as the next up from the A3 but TBH, they'd be the only two golfs id go to from the A3... It wouldnt be a standard GTI..

Its a hard decision TBH...

If you could get an Ed30 then it might be worth having the GTi else for me I'd be looking for a Quattro A3.

As much as I rate the Gti, I found it a handleful in the wet when REVOd (which it needs) and didnt realise how good 4wd was until I got the S3.

So it would be interesting to compare the Golf with a 4wd 20T A3.

Without driving them, and based on owning a Golf/S3 and reviews an the others etc, my choice would probably be.

1- A3 20T quattro (S-Line + nice bits etc) + REMAP!
2- ED30 (high spec)
3- A3 20T

Also remember there are only 2500 or so ED30s and ther are out of production.

Actualy Ive changed my mind.

ED30 it is....

Cheers
Paul

The question is why is the GTi better to drive when the two cars share the same 'running gear'? Is it the shocks? The springs? Is the rack different etc? I prefer the styling of the A3, the fact that the drivers arm rest was completely different to the passengers put me off LOL.

i made this decision before i got the A3 but with the Golf GTI, the dash was rattley, lots of yobs/stuck up yound busines men/druggys have got them in manchester and i had a Golf before and didnt want one again....

But the main things which talked me out of the golf was the rattley interior.. i drove two and they both had some kind of rattle.
Its a hard decision TBH...

MMMMmm.....interesting.

Ive owned 2 MK5 Gtis, neither rattled.
Im not a druggy.
Im not a stuck up young businessmen.
I try not to make over generalisations about cars and their owners.:)

Agree the A3 is a fine car though.

Cheers
Paul

The A3 is a better built car but despite sharing the same platform as the A3 it drives differently I suppose the A3 2.0t would be the best compromise although i don't think it will feel much different to your current car so on that basis and because of how cheap they are i'd go for an R32 :)

MMMMmm.....interesting.

Ive owned 2 MK5 Gtis, neither rattled.
Im not a druggy.
Im not a stuck up young businessmen.
I try not to make over generalisations about cars and their owners.:)

Agree the A3 is a fine car though.

Cheers
Paul

I had an 57 plate Jetta, 4000miles and that had a dash that rattled....

The Car's that i were looking at were 3 years old (05, 06 plate) and one had a rattley stereo bit, one had an annoying rattled from behind the dash and the glovebox. The overall build quality didn't seem too good on them...

And I'm from Moss Side(Manchester) and seriously, they're the kind of people i see driving GTIs. I wasnt trying to generalise but , on the M60/M62, always get guys in suits, in GTIs booting it up my ar$£...

And also, my reference to druggys was/is in my area! I love Golfs but the image of driving a dark coloured one (with tinted windows) always results in unwanted attention by yobo'z and the police... (Trust me, I had a mk4 with 19" wheels, in black with black tints and im 18...lets just say it didnt go too well with the police after a similar car was used in a shooting or soemthing...)

Also, a few months back, my local post office got robbed by guys in Golf...they are notoriously used by crooks..

I didnt mean to offend anyone (very sorry if i did) but the two reasons above and the insurance were the reasons I pulled away from the Golfs.. (as much as i loved them) and got the A3...

Minus the interioir buld quality...i think the Golf is a awesome car.

If off the UK-mkivs.net forum which is top for Golfs...i suggest if you do want more info on them Boydie, try there :D

I would go for an Audi as the build quality is definitely better. Also, a golf is a golf and they are all over the place.

I would personally go for a 2.0T quattro as there are always traction problems (should be more serious with an Ed30...worse chipped...)

I had an 57 plate Jetta, 4000miles and that had a dash that rattled....

The Car's that i were looking at were 3 years old (05, 06 plate) and one had a rattley stereo bit, one had an annoying rattled from behind the dash and the glovebox. The overall build quality didn't seem too good on them...

And I'm from Moss Side(Manchester) and seriously, they're the kind of people i see driving GTIs. I wasnt trying to generalise but , on the M60/M62, always get guys in suits, in GTIs booting it up my ar$£...

And also, my reference to druggys was/is in my area! I love Golfs but the image of driving a dark coloured one (with tinted windows) always results in unwanted attention by yobo'z and the police... (Trust me, I had a mk4 with 19" wheels, in black with black tints and im 18...lets just say it didnt go too well with the police after a similar car was used in a shooting or soemthing...)

Also, a few months back, my local post office got robbed by guys in Golf...they are notoriously used by crooks..

I didnt mean to offend anyone (very sorry if i did) but the two reasons above and the insurance were the reasons I pulled away from the Golfs.. (as much as i loved them) and got the A3...

Minus the interioir buld quality...i think the Golf is a awesome car.

If off the UK-mkivs.net forum which is top for Golfs...i suggest if you do want more info on them Boydie, try there :D

Ok, sounds grim down there though mate.

The North East isnt exactly safety capital of the world but it certainly seems that way compared to your neck of the woods!

I suppose at the end of the day, the Golf and A3 are a lot different than it first appears and thats the very reason why VAG sell plenty of both models, side by side, in their overall VAG product line up.

For what its worth Ive owned many VWs including the MK5 Golf, and although Im fortunate enough to have an S3 (my first AUDI) I still wouldnt have a problem going back to VW. (Scirrocco/MK6 Syncro anyone?)
IMO the Golf felt very well made, the AUDI is just better.

Cheers
Paul

Against a GTI I would have the FWD A3, if it were a WALD or ED30 then the golf would take it, Quattro would take the edge over the golfs though. The R32 doesnt get a look in really, its too expensive, to costly to run and is a big fat oaf, the engine sound is its only redeeming factor. I hate them but cos of that sound and the gorgeous blue only R32 come in still want one.
The golf from a driver point of view is better, the seats being more hot hatchy actually hold you and obviously if you get the buckets they are awesome.
The audi would be more to buy but cheaper to insure, the golf vice versa.
its swings and roundabouts all the way.
The golf is a bit easier to parallel park too :rolleyes:

I prefer the smooth lines on the A3, Especially the rear quarter windows when compared with the golfs, something as simple as that can rule out a car for me lol

The build quality feels more compact with the Golf, though that might be because it is smaller.

The A3 wins on interior and performance (the 2.0T is slightly faster than the Golf 2.0T), the Golf wins on handling and exterior looks.

If I had to choose I would go for the A3 2.0T.

A3 2.0T Quattro.

Had the A3 2.0T FWD and struggle din the wet getting the power down, really annoying. And that was standard.

Main benefit from my S3 is the AWD system....

Audi interior all the way. Had 3 A3's 2.0TDi / 2.0T Quattro and 2 x S3's. Get a scond hand S3 maybe?

David

Well AJ me old cockle, I test drove the R32 & the Gti & I'll be honest mate total let down for me, I've had hot hatches for ages & I had mk3 gti's, vr6's & thought ok 4wd r32 would be nice, what a pile of poo IMHO was so disappointing to drive & then tried the GTI & that was better than the R32 but still when I sat in both cars it was this that totally put me of the golf & as for wait for the mk6 whats the point its almost the same car anyway.

A3 all the way mate, interior way better & always when you get into the a3 you wouldnt get bored, golf god after test drives I was bored shiteless, but A3 still makes me think was best buy & drives much better than the golf, to say the golf is a better drivers car, well for me I dont think so, you can have alot of fun & driveability in the A3 aswell as the golf, I think some people think the golf is more raw than the A3, personally IMHO I wouldnt say either way, depends on the engine you get so a 2.0 fsi 2wd & the gti I think would be near same

But this is only my opinion so at end of day doesnt matter what we think its you who'll be driving it fella.

The A3 wins on interior and performance (the 2.0T is slightly faster than the Golf 2.0T),

How did you work that one out mate..? Same engine, same power, but the Golf is lighter. So how does that make the A3 quicker? :huh: If you mean the Quattro, then that may be a little quicker off the line, but will be even slower once on the move..

In regards to interior.. Although I agree the A3 has a nicer cabin. If you get the latest Sat Nav unit in the Golf, they are still a very nice cabin to sit in..
21042008445.jpg

A3 2.0T Fsi or Golf GTI is a hard choice!:banghead:

Was a choice i had to make back in Augest i was going to either change my a3 to a newer a3 or to a white GTI. Had a test drive and there lovely cars to drive and it could move. Interior is a let it down a bit, but some gti interior are really nice.
Personal i'd stay with A3 and did stay with the A3 lol. Another reason i never got a Gti because of all the wannabe 'gangstas' and actual drug dealers around by me who have one. And didnt want some one thinking oh benskin changed his job he selling drugs now! Naa perfer the office lol =)

Good luck with the choice

Well AJ me old cockle, I test drove the R32 & the Gti & I'll be honest mate total let down for me, I've had hot hatches for ages & I had mk3 gti's, vr6's

I thought you'd had hot hatches? :moa:
Mk3 Golf GTI? I don't think so...same with the VR6, soft and flabby. (I have a Mk3 GTI...and it's no hot hatch)

thought ok 4wd r32 would be nice, what a pile of poo IMHO was so disappointing to drive & then tried the GTI & that was better than the R32

Which GTI?
Mk4? Can't be surely... they are abysmal.
Mk4 R32 was a good car...way better than the 8L S3 in the way it went.

A3 all the way mate, interior way better

Interior may be perceived as better - depending on your definition of 'better'. The GTI interior (Mk5) is perfect for throwing it about down a back road...something it does better than the A3.

always when you get into the a3 you wouldnt get bored, golf god after test drives I was bored shiteless, but A3 still makes me think was best buy & drives much better than the golf,

Really?
My Audi was the most yawn-worthy car I've ever owned. Very good, very quick, good handling...but utterly devoid of any entertainment. Dull as dishwater.
Sure it was well built and had a great interior...which was just as well, as you were better off sitting in it looking at it rather than doing 100 miles at pace on back roads.

A bog standard Mk5 GTI was more fun and as quick down a backroad as my modified 8L S3.
boring the GTI wasn't...but the Audi was...

So are pretty much all current Audis...impressive yes...but boring - RS4 included.

to say the golf is a better drivers car, well for me I dont think so, you can have alot of fun & driveability in the A3 aswell as the golf, I think some people think the golf is more raw than the A3, personally IMHO I wouldnt say either way, depends on the engine you get so a 2.0 fsi 2wd & the gti I think would be near same

Strange that most people would agree the Golf is a better drivers car than the A3...at the end of the day, it probably depends on where you set your expectations.

The two are very different cars...I don't see an image problem with the Golf...sadly, I do now see an image problem with Audis with people thinking that because they have 4 rings on the grille, they are in some way better than others...they seem to be bought by the BMW 3 series buyers of the new millenium...which for me, is as offputting as it gets.

FWD A3 vs Mk5 GTI...personally, I'd take the GTI, but that's for my own reasons.

How did you work that one out mate..? Same engine, same power, but the Golf is lighter. So how does that make the A3 quicker? :huh: If you mean the Quattro, then that may be a little quicker off the line, but will be even slower once on the move..

I was wondering the same...

In regards to interior.. Although I agree the A3 has a nicer cabin. If you get the latest Sat Nav unit in the Golf, they are still a very nice cabin to sit in..

Personally I don't get the whole 'better interior in the A3 thing'. The GTI interior is fine.Maybe it doesn't have as many chinzy brushed alloy doofers or lit up air vent schizzle...but who gives a toss?
Not me...

The GTIs interior basics are right...and the way it drives a revelation. That's enough for me.
I don't feel the need for additional crap that doesn't add anything but bling...I don't need a TV, or electrically adjustable seats, or the ability to mess about with displays to the 'n'th degree...just a fine driving car with sound basics.

Horses for courses...

21042008445.jpg

Going off the official figures.

The 2.0T GTI 0-60 is 7.2seconds and the A3 is 6.9 seconds.

Probably not the best example as it is a DSG but here is a video of the two stock motors in action.

I thought you'd had hot hatches? :moa:
Mk3 Golf GTI? I don't think so...same with the VR6, soft and flabby. (I have a Mk3 GTI...and it's no hot hatch)

Which GTI?
Mk4? Can't be surely... they are abysmal.
Mk4 R32 was a good car...way better than the 8L S3 in the way it went.

Interior may be perceived as better - depending on your definition of 'better'. The GTI interior (Mk5) is perfect for throwing it about down a back road...something it does better than the A3.

Really?
My Audi was the most yawn-worthy car I've ever owned. Very good, very quick, good handling...but utterly devoid of any entertainment. Dull as dishwater.
Sure it was well built and had a great interior...which was just as well, as you were better off sitting in it looking at it rather than doing 100 miles at pace on back roads.

A bog standard Mk5 GTI was more fun and as quick down a backroad as my modified 8L S3.
boring the GTI wasn't...but the Audi was...

So are pretty much all current Audis...impressive yes...but boring - RS4 included.

Strange that most people would agree the Golf is a better drivers car than the A3...at the end of the day, it probably depends on where you set your expectations.

The two are very different cars...I don't see an image problem with the Golf...sadly, I do now see an image problem with Audis with people thinking that because they have 4 rings on the grille, they are in some way better than others...they seem to be bought by the BMW 3 series buyers of the new millenium...which for me, is as offputting as it gets.

FWD A3 vs Mk5 GTI...personally, I'd take the GTI, but that's for my own reasons.

Those are your opinions mate not mine, I disagree with you but thats cause you like to drive a car on the edge of your seat & I like creature comforts, personally mk5 gti/r32 were boring to me & I buy a car for everything not just to blast it round some back roads, I buy for looks, feel, driveability, technology, the works, you obviously buy a car to feel the tarmac, hey as someone said horses for courses but dont put every audi driver in the "4 rings on the grille" category cause you couldnt be further from the truth fella, I dont drive about being all snobbery at all & just cause of my car I dont think so, think its kinda generalising tbh

(today I fitted my s3 skirts at last, damn weather)

I had the same choice to make a few months ago but in high spec diesel form.

I've driven many MK5's over the past 3 years as we have a few in our pool, the quality of the interior plastics is poor in my opinion and a big step down from the MK4. I have also experienced the rattly dashboards, some worse than others.

Give it a couple more years and the MK5's will be had for peanuts and start falling into the wrong hands. Looks how many chavved up MK4's you see on the roads, can you say the same for the MK1 A3?

I will throw in a curveball.
How about a new Scirocco. it also has the same 2.0T engine as the standard GTi.
But has got the tendancy to be a bit of a marmite car..
I took the plunge and have had mine for 3 weeks now and i haven,t regretted my decision not to get another A3. Build quality imho is deffo an improvement on the Golf and i would say about 90% as good as the Audi.

Shall i get my coat now ??:sorry: