H&R anti roll bars....advice needed please

Rabbit222

Reaction score
Website
www.vwclub.co.za
Hi guys, is there anyone here that has installed H&R ARBS? I need some assistance with regards to the setup. I currently have it set to soft up front and stiff at the rear. Car feels great in the twisties but I'm interested in what she would feel like if the front was stiff and the rear stiff too? Would this stuff up the ride in anyway or would this be better for Quattro? My local suspension guru says he installed it as per how he installed it on GTIs but those cars are FWD and not AWD :confused:

Do you really need the stiffer rear?

Can understand the requirement for it on FWD Gtis that they want the rear to be more tailhappy, but we have haldex/quattro. I'd like the rear to have more grip when the haldex wants to transfer power backwards.

Have a read at this, just to make your decision harder.
http://www.golfmkv.com/forums/showthread.php?t=62927

With the current setup, the car feels very planted at the rear whereas the front feels abit loose? I'd like this to be setup properly for quattro and am not exactly sure what would be the better option.

Just give it a try, remember you can combing the holes on the bars to create in between settings, such as (hole 1 front left, hole 2 front right) which would be an in between setting compared to (hole 1 hole 1) or (hole 2 hole 2)

If that makes sense..

Anyways it only takes a minute to change so I would suggest just having a play around with it..

With our cars, IMO they should be set up like a FWD chassis, the S3 understeers like a pig..

You need a good base set up to work from though, the bars should only be used for tweeking rather than changing the balance of the car..

What geometry set up are you running on your car at the moment?

Just give it a try, remember you can combing the holes on the bars to create in between settings, such as (hole 1 front left, hole 2 front right) which would be an in between setting compared to (hole 1 hole 1) or (hole 2 hole 2)

If that makes sense..

Anyways it only takes a minute to change so I would suggest just having a play around with it..

With our cars, IMO they should be set up like a FWD chassis, the S3 understeers like a pig..

You need a good base set up to work from though, the bars should only be used for tweeking rather than changing the balance of the car..

What geometry set up are you running on your car at the moment?

Geometry setup:blush: Math wasn't my fav subject at all dude:) What exactly do you mean Jonny? I did some hooning this weekend and I honestly can't believe that I waited this long to fit ARBs to my car. She feels so stable in bends that before produced plenty of roll...now she feels like a go kart!

H&R ARBs is my set up
you cheeky sod

Obviously I was referring to how you have adjusted them, front-rear, as I have ordered them as well and I could use some piece of advise here!

And for the shake of it I did not mean to be offensive in anyway...you took it all wrong mate! :unsure:

Geometry setup:blush: Math wasn't my fav subject at all dude:) What exactly do you mean Jonny? I did some hooning this weekend and I honestly can't believe that I waited this long to fit ARBs to my car. She feels so stable in bends that before produced plenty of roll...now she feels like a go kart!

Yeah they are mega!! Cant believe I sold mine really, going to buy another set shortly though :)

Geometry, so Toes, camber, static rake etc.. Not too tricky, if you set it up like you would a FWD car, so..

Plenty of front camber 3-4 degrees, need adjustable top mounts for this really as the standard bottom arms dont allow for any adjustment, KW have just released a kit. Stand the rear end up so maybes only 1 degrees negative

As for the toes I would go with 1mm toe out each side at the front, and .5mm toe in at the rear

Then as much positive static rake as your comfortable with, I run about 5mm

Then as much caster as what you can achieve on the standard front suspension set up

I would personally run the ARB's full stiff all round, its still fairly compliant :)

Good luck mate

Jonny