Noise when turning - Is it the Damned steering rack?

DemianM

RWD sucks!
Reaction score
My S3 has developed a noise when turning, I think to both sides.....it is a grinding noise, but, it does not happen while actually turning the wheel, it is heard while travelling at low speed with the wheel at near full lock (for example, on parking ramps) or while turning around corners at very slow speed.

I have searched a lot but I am not sure whether the noise everyone describes happens while actually turning the wheel, or once the wheel is fully turned and the car is moving.....

Can anyone help me diagnose this before I go to the stealers? Thanks!

Certainly sounds like it, as that is exactly what I had, plus some vibration through the steering wheel, before I was diagnosed as needing a new steering rack.

Ive had and still got the same problem with mine the noise and slight vibration through the wheel, been into the dealers once already and they not sorted yet....They said to me new steering rack needed gotta book it back in on monday....

sounds just like mine,had a new rack done on friday. Its a one day job and most dealers should have the part in stock now.

Audi have gone through more steering racks than ive had hot dinn..

i've also had the same problem on my 8p s3, dealer sorting it out tomorrow

L60N,

Is that a blender I can see sticking out of your bonnet???

Nah its the new mobile yorkshire anti missile defense system

Looks like Clarksons blender to me.

Top-Gear-Corvette-Blender.jpg