8P SUB

Jay.Ing

Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Hello all,

I wanted to replace my sub for an andy mac one, but as he pointed out, it will not fit in my 8P!!!!! :notme:

So my question is..... Has anyone replaced their tupperware sub for an aftermarket one?????? :uhm:

ye i have, i have that silly bose sound, the the bass was not too my liking, so i have a alpine v12 1001 mono block and a jbl 12 sub from my previous car so instead selling it for peanuts i installed it my car, oh and the alpine amp comes with a cool eq which you can control all the settings for the amp from your drivers seat, i try get you some photos of the sub later
IMG_0009.jpg

If I keep the A3 i'm going to go for a new sub, there is just enough room to get a 10" JL sub in the factory location so i've been told.

I have installed an Infinity Basslink on my Bose equipped S3, I think it is perfect for the bose output. I have not disabled the bose sub, and left the basslink crossover at about 60 hz so it plays only the lower notes where the bose sub struggles. It is connected to the battery for + and to the bose sub for audio signal (which makes it turn on as it senses sound). It also has a wired remote control which I put under the dash for fine tuning for different music (though I barely touch it)

I have installed an Infinity Basslink on my Bose equipped S3, I think it is perfect for the bose output. I have not disabled the bose sub, and left the basslink crossover at about 60 hz so it plays only the lower notes where the bose sub struggles. It is connected to the battery for + and to the bose sub for audio signal (which makes it turn on as it senses sound). It also has a wired remote control which I put under the dash for fine tuning for different music (though I barely touch it)

Do you have any pic of the install?

What is it that people dont like about the bose system?? I know a few people that are complaining about it. I have it in my S3 and have no problems with it at all. Am i missing something??

Listen to something with a bassline but have it on lowish volume, all you can here is the sub, its not even a nice sound. My wife who knows nothing about HIFi even hates BOSE and cannot wait for me to remove it !

Can't find the post right now, but one of the guys on the vwvortex US forum modded the std sub basket to take an aftermarket sub with excellent results...:rockwoot:

Doubt that very much, half the problem is the tupperware box the sub sits in!

Doubt that very much, half the problem is the tupperware box the sub sits in! How can you get good results from a sub mounted in a biscuit tin?

it must be as cheap and easier to make a mdf sub box in the factory location and it'll sound better.

As cheap - maybe.
As easy - possibly not, if you want a sealed enclosure in such a small space and want it to look OEM.

Personally I liked the simplicity of it.:ninja:

As cheap - maybe.
As easy - possibly not, if you want a sealed enclosure in such a small space and want it to look OEM.

Totally pointless, you can't polish a ****. As AndyMac has already stated the main problem with the stock sub is the enclosure. If you've ever removed one you'd realise, it is thin plastic and has no rigidity whatsoever. Upgrading the driver will sound just as dreadful as before, if not worse. I know I've tried. Try mounting a decent sub inside a cardboard box and then power it with a fisher price toy amp and you'll get some idea of the issue.

Fair point...

So, back to the original intent of the post...who's achieved a decent, stealth sub install in an 8P boot - pics and specs if you please

ive put a stealth sub in the wheel well of my 8P - built a custom mdf box (octagonal) at 24L internal volume, tuned port with the elemental designs 8" sub inside - a nice qb3 alignment. i was looking for good sound quality but goes deep.

due to the depth of the box/sub, its height is slighly more than the depth of the wheel well. the wheel cover is therefore about an inch higher, reducing the boot space slightly but theres no sub box in the boot and in reality the boot hasnt been reduced in effective size at all. the octagonal box has a split depth to allow the amp to sit on 1/2 the box, so that too is hidden below the wheel cover but fully accessible.

all the oem amp/sub is still there so its easy to reconnect if i remove my aftermarket stuff to sell the car. - i would just have to replace the oem door speakers.

you could use a different slim mount sub with a smaller box in an IB configuration, but for a 2.0tdi which drowns out the bass of any system, i wanted something that went deeper and lounder.