A favour please from someone with factory fitted RNS-E

VRStu

Just Looking
VCDS Map User
Reaction score
Website
www.octavia-vrs.com
Would somone mind letting me have their chassis number so that I can look up the antenna parts that are fitted and see if I can't get to the bottom of this antenna fault code that everyone suffers on retrofitted units.

PM if you prefer.

Thanks.

If you mean by resolving this then its just a change in antenna systems needed, no doubt a change of the 3 amplifiers in the rear boot lid/end & maybe some cabling changes will resolve this, I doubt the rear window intergrated antenna will need swapping out, I know on my S4 it had the 2 rear side windows with antennas in aswell as the rear, idiot who installed my rns didnt connect the diversity antenna in the rns & only realised when after a year of **** radio I checked behind the radio, but on the A3 its not quite as bad, thats the only way to do it I believe

Thanks Nigel.

I've been looking at the parts installed in my car and according to ETKA I don't have an amplifier installed in the tailgate. I do apparently have an amplifier under the seat which is linked into the phone system.

Thats very strange, I would think you have the diversity system in your car mate, I mean its a new car, if you do then you must have the amps in rear.

Yeah you'll have the compenser amp for the prep for sure fella, but dont think its under the seat, bluetooth goes under the seat mate, it should be rear quarter behind the side panel in boot or is yours sportback as Wesley has this aswell in that place.

No it's not a SportBack. I did email Kufatec about the part they offer but they say that it is for SportBack only.

I do have diversity as there are two antenna plugs at the Radio end so I would think it does use the rear leccy window.

Looks like I might need to remove the tailgate trim, don't fancy that though.

Is it just the error code you're getting? has your FM reception deteriorated since fitting the RNS-E?

Look on navplus.us, they fitted a part from the Golf5's aerial and make the error go away. Costs around 100 pounds or so, really not worth it as it just affects FM reception in any case (ZF open circuit error)

Look on navplus.us, they fitted a part from the Golf5's aerial and make the error go away. Costs around 100 pounds or so, really not worth it as it just affects FM reception in any case (ZF open circuit error)

Is it just the error code you're getting? has your FM reception deteriorated since fitting the RNS-E?

I have the fault code and deteriorated FM reception.

It may improve the reception but it doesn't clear the code. For the moment, and until I have discovered that it's not feasible then I'm looking to clear the code as well.

Yeah as Stu says the golf 5 mod doesnt clear the fault anyway, its a case of swapping out parts & possibly rewiring, if the golf 5 mod is £100 then I'd rather spend the £100 on the proper fix not the improv job.

Thanks, Ideally I need a chassis number so I can look up and compare what's fitted to a factory fit car and my car.

Thanks, Ideally I need a chassis number so I can look up and compare what's fitted to a factory fit car and my car.

I think we must have a lot of politicians on here - lots of answers but not to the question asked!!!! (including me now, ironically!)

Hope someone can help you, as the "ZF to ground" error was one of the reasons I decided to give up on my retro-fitted RNS-E, so I understand your desire to find a solution.

The 'fix' using the module from a Golf, connected into the existing wiring, doesn't alleviate the fault code.

I'm really kinda hoping that it can't be that complicated, even if you have to mount a new unit and run two new antenna cables from it to the RNS-E it wouldn't be that bad.

If anyone is concerned about some sort of security issue over passing a chassis number to me, it's nothing I couldn't get if I saw your car parked in the street (It's visibly mounted on the dashboard)

Can you check your local dealers used stock? see if they have any A3's with RNS-E fitted then take a trip down to grab the chassis number from the windscreen.

I'm off to my local dealer later so i'll see what they have. I'm very interested in this as i'm looking to install the RNS-E very soon.

I've got thesame problem as you, on monday I will know how to solve that problem.

If someone need VIN number of cars with serial RNS-E:
WAUZZZ8P79A007292
WAUZZZ8P89A013375

both are 2008 S3 sportback

I've been collecting some chassis numbers but sadly without conclusive results -

Mine -

22 08 07 Build - Has 8P0 035 503L Antenna,

All 3 doors S3 with factory RNS-E -

15 01 07 Build - Has 8P0 035 503L Antenna, No Lower Amplifier, 8P4 035 225 C Left Upper Amplifier. 8P0 035 192 L RNS-E

24 05 07 Build - Has 8P0 035 503L Antenna, No Lower Amplifier, 8P4 035 225 C Left Upper Amplifier. 8P0 035 192 L RNS-E

27 05 07 Build - Has 8P0 035 503L Antenna, 8P3 035 225 or 8P4 035 225 D Left Lower Amplifier, 8P3 035 225 B or 8P4 035 225 B or 8P4 035 225 C Left Upper Amplifier.

11 02 08 Build - Has 8P0 035 503L Antenna, 8P3 035 225 Left Lower Amplifier & 8P3 035 225 B Left Upper Amplifier. 8P0 035 192 Q RNS-E

WAUZZZ8P79A007292 has a build date of 30 06 08 Can't see anything about antenna or amplifier.

WAUZZZ8P89A013375 has a build date of 11 07 08 Can't see anything about antenna or amplifier.

Both have 8P0 035 192 S RNS-E

I wonder if it's linked to the version of RNS-E that you have. Mine is the later 8P0 035 192 Q so it might lead you to think I need 8P3 035 225 Left Lower Amplifier & 8P3 035 225 B Left Upper Amplifier

I wonder if it's linked to the version of RNS-E that you have. Mine is the later 8P0 035 192 Q so it might lead you to think I need 8P3 035 225 Left Lower Amplifier & 8P3 035 225 B Left Upper Amplifier

It certainly seems that way from the examples you have posted.

8P0 035 503L - is this the sharkfin antenna?

Could it be that one of the amps is for the GPS portion of the antenna?

I would have thought the Sharkfin with GPS would have a larger base to incorperate the GPS section of it,all the others I've seen are.

Just so we all know what we're looking at -

A3Antenna_Locations.jpg

Stu, can I PM you my chassis number so you can check what mine has?

I've just been to my loclac audi service and they have already solved that problem, you have to buy part with these number:

8p4 035 225 a

That's all changing for these will help in 100%

Cheers

It certainly seems that way from the examples you have posted.

8P0 035 503L - is this the sharkfin antenna?

Could it be that one of the amps is for the GPS portion of the antenna?

Yes thats the antenna & no gps doesnt have an amp from what I know of, its only the phone that has the compenser(amp) & the radio has diversity amps etc

I've just been to my loclac audi service and they have already solved that problem, you have to buy part with these number:

8p4 035 225 a

Cheers

As I said antenna systems need changing, namely amps as I'm guessing its using same fakra etc connections on concert 2+/golf 5 antenna systems that have the non rns system

8p4 035 225 a

Cheers

What is the part, have you installed it and has it resolved the problem?

8P4 035 225A is a variation of item 10 in the image I posted above. It's a left lower amplifier for vehicles with Navigation and TV. So yes in theory I can see that it may help but it does kinda depend on what else you have in the car and may need to be combined with a different upper amplifier too.

gr1zly - Have you had this part fitted?

I found a picture of the parts in the tailgate, whether you can fit them or not depends on what you already have fitted so I suppose the only way is to take the cover off.

Upper_Lower_Amps.jpg

Thanks to lonesg for the picture.

Edit - Also found the colour key -

FAKRA code B (White): RF output and power supply

FAKRA Code K (Curry): ZF IF input​

FAKRA Code G (Grey): HF RF output FZV​

Curry, lol I like that one Stu, lol

aha so between us all or more like Stu we have found its all fakra anyway so theoretically if amp was swapped out it would maybe fix these issues

there's gotta be a catch cause the boys audiforum.us would have realised this ages ago, well dirk would have known fairly quickly

anyway if you've got the time/money you could easily swap out & re-cable if need be fella.

So who's first to take the tailgate cover off then, Nigel :whistle2:

There are a lot of people working on this so it does seem as though there is a solution out there somewhere.

might wanna vso image resizer them tad down a bit fella, lol

which camera you using as thats good closeup

So who's first to take the tailgate cover off then, Nigel :whistle2:

There are a lot of people working on this so it does seem as though there is a solution out there somewhere.

uh dont know about you stu me old chap but I'm turning my a3 upside down & paddling down the road at moment I mean WTF its worst than the monsoon I was in thailand with missus, its so ****** wet out there, I'm trying to get my s3 skirts finished, new brakes figure out why suspension has now caused a kinda loose feeling on front, all cant do cause weather & until suspension sorted dont wanna drive at all cause hate it(maybe we could consult on this thing) :think::whistle2:

I've got 4 panels of at moment so please someone if you have a garage please feel free, lol.

Ok, I've resized the images and loaded to my PB.

Here is another that I found, I think it's been posted before but it might give us a clue as to what extra cabling would be required.

In my simplistic mind it looks like the need to change the lower amp for a suitable one and then possibly the upper one. Then route the FM1/AM to the lower amp instead of straight to the RNS-E (Maybe a small linking cable) and plug the original FM1/AM into the new amp as the ZF to the RNS-E.

What do you think ??

phasen_schaltdiversity.jpg

Yeah its as I imagined mate, amp switch & small re-cable

I did reply to above posts but as usual the poxy site crashed so after multiple attempts I gave up, lol

Ah actually it did post what I said up so cool, ignore above then