Badger5AH Fabrications
    Dealing with an OCD

Status

Low back pressure with TBE

Now my custom turbo back exhaust has been fitted,(by Exhausts UK,Sheffield)the car's suffering with boost problems. Steve Jr at Statller reckons it's the exhaust that's causing the problem,and recommended putting the old exhaust back on,and then data logging,but obviously that's gonna cost...and then a replacement(maybe my custom one,modified?)or Milltek will have to be fitted again...more money...
    Although it has a 200 cell sports cat,the complete system is flowing too well,so not creating enough back pressure,causing the turbo overboost,so i'm losing torque.
    What should i do? Spend more at Exhausts UK,fitting another cat or something to restrict the flow? Spend even more and go full Milltek?

I've no idea what i should do next! I've even considered just having the Milltek downpipe and sports cat,but the combination still might not flow correctly with the rest of the system.

Its currently a 3" downpipe,200 cell sports cat,2.5" pipe,mid silencer,2.5" pipe,cobra rear box.

I'm running a GIAC hammer map and Forge CAI,both worked seemlessly before the exhaust went on.

S3 Brilliant Red - 340bhp

Custom Code Phase 2 + PSS, Autotech pump, Hybrid Forge/ITG Maxogen CAI /Reflactagold, Sprint Booster, Forge Quickshift, Forge DV, Denso Iridium sparks, PCV mod/oil catch can, R8 oil filler cap, Sachs performance clutch,Exhausts UK custom stainless TBE, Braille no-weight battery,PIAA mirror white DRL's,exterior + interior leds, AndyMac's Sub upgrade, H&R springs, VMR VB3 18x8.5 gunmetal alloys wearing BF Goodrich G-force 235/40

2. # ADS
    ADS

4th Gear

Status
    as a general rule, low back pressure from a highflow cat and good exhaust is usally a good thing - it is going to give you less lag, lower exhaust and turbo temperatures therefore more airflow and pressure with less stress on the engine components.

what you may need is a custom remap to ensure that you have correct boost pressure and fuelling for the new setup, rather than undo the (presumably good and working properly) effects from the exhaust/cat
    TT-RS 410hp revo
    Fiat 500 1.3 tdi 120hp
    A3 8P 2.0tdi 240hp Autograph Cars
    RS4 B5 520hp MTM
    S3 8L 345hp MTM
    Volvo 850 T5 300hp BSR
    Fiat Punto GT 130hp
    Lancia Delta Turbo 185hp
    Lancia Beta Coupe 122hp
    Mini 74hp

3rd Gear

Status
    <beer induced thought>

why not try to plug your exhaust outlet and see what happens?
    World's Fastest S3 Driver - racing old people in toyota camries since 1997 with a 97.6% winning rate.

Dealing with an OCD

Status

Custom Code Phase 2 + PSS, Autotech pump, Hybrid Forge/ITG Maxogen CAI /Reflactagold, Sprint Booster, Forge Quickshift, Forge DV, Denso Iridium sparks, PCV mod/oil catch can, R8 oil filler cap, Sachs performance clutch,Exhausts UK custom stainless TBE, Braille no-weight battery,PIAA mirror white DRL's,exterior + interior leds, AndyMac's Sub upgrade, H&R springs, VMR VB3 18x8.5 gunmetal alloys wearing BF Goodrich G-force 235/40

4th Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by boggysv View Post
    <beer induced thought>

why not try to plug your exhaust outlet and see what happens?
    Its half 4 mate!! haha..
    MK5 ED30.. Fastest MK5 / 2.0T FSI in the UK - Fastest DSG MK5 in the world!

12.601 @ 115.85 MPH

Dealing with an OCD

Status
    Could it be the fuel pump??

2nd Gear

Status
    i am very dubious as to how good custom systems are, if you look at a miltek exhaust it has been designed and developed for that vehicle.

On previous cars i have had custom exhausts and they are just made to fit there and then without any development or research into flow rates, where the bends should be etc etc.

If it was me i wouldnt spend anymore money and go back to std or get a miltek.

I cant see it being your fuel pump but maybe take it into Audi for a diagnostics check (be prepared to loose your map thoug!!!)

1st Gear

Status
    back to standard or miltek and if that sorts it get your money back for the custom exhaust as it dosen't seem fit for purpose
    S3 Sept 08 to.....
    A3 2.0 TDI Sport April 04 - May 08

Dealing with an OCD

Status
    Update...

It was the fuel pump!

Exhausts Uk put me in touch with JBS Auto Design,and after a chat with them,the car was booked in for a health check....and the patient has responded well to surgery

4th Gear

Status
    Eeeeesh what did I say

Its a bit of a worry to hear that a fuel pump in an S3 has gone bad though, can you expand on the problems?

12.601 @ 115.85 MPH

Dealing with an OCD

Status
    Jonny

Mine was one of the earlier 'H' pumps,which some are having problems with. It seems that it was just unable to supply enough juice for the extra demands the exhaust seemed to make. It was fine before the exhaust went on,so i guess the free flowing exhaust and extra horses were asking more than it could give,hence loss of boost. Logs showed it only able to sustain 110 bar,but with the new pump,she's now holding 140
    Last edited by Fast,not furious; 11th November 2008 at 11:58.

4th Gear

Status
    Ah cool..

Its more like 110bar and 140bar now.. The FSI fuel rail pressure is immense!

Glad you got it sorted out anyways mate

Jonny

12.601 @ 115.85 MPH

Dealing with an OCD

Status
    That's what i said (does a quick edit!)...i thought that sounded low as soon as i wrote it...no wonder i had problems...lol

Yeah,it's grand now mate

4th Gear

Status
    lol, sorry must have read it wrong

Have fun mate!

12.601 @ 115.85 MPH

Dealing with an OCD

Status
    Lol,yeah - i reckon you've been pulling to many G's round the circuit recently and your eyes are still blurred!