Adaptive Xenon Lights - what are they like?

WolvesPhil

Reaction score
Just been looking at options for the A3 I have on order and was wondering if the adaptive headlights are worth considering, I have already upgraded to the Xenons so is not much of an increase to go for the adaptive ones. Just wondering what people think of them as I have never been in a car with them...

Thanks in advance

I bought my car used and it already had the adaptive light option as specced by the first owner.
Cant say I feel any great benefit over my last car that didnt have them, so probably wouldnt pay the extra for them if I ever bought new in the future.
That said, I dont do any night time B road runs as Mitch has mentioned which is when I would imagine you get the most benefit.
So i guess it really depends on the type of driving you do as to whether you spend that little bit extra.

Cheers
Paul

Interesting to hear this as i too was wondering about them. There is a huge difference between Xenons and BiXenons for country lane driving.

It seems a picey option though at an extra £800 on the S3? Is it really worth that?

I'm with Mitch on this one. To me they were a have-to-have option.

I live out in the sticks and the adaptive lights are a big help on dark B and C roads. You can really notice the lights extending your vision around corners helping you to pick out the inside and outside edges of the road as well as small deer (scary moment) a bit earlier.

The speed of the lights turning is generally OK. However, they can be caught out by a quick,multiple direction change (i.e. Left, Right, Left on a small roundabout at high speeds). The lights are sometimes still heading right when you are into the second left.

Cheers for reply guys,

I was wondering how quick they were to change if on a very windy road, thanks for that Splathead.

Also I am sure they are less than £300 for the S3, and £800 for fitting on a standard A3. As I have already specced Xenons on my A3 at £550, I could change this for the adaptive lights which includes the Xenons for £835.... Thats how I read it anyway in the brochure!

Hi
I have them on my A3 Cabrio & find them amazing especialy as I have never experienced them before. They react very fast & would highly recomend.

Nice one, well it does sound a handy extra in all fairness and is worth the extra £285, not sure it would be worth the extra £800+ though if I hadnt already picked the Xenons...