Sky InsuranceEM Tuning
    Neutral

Status

Adaptive Xenon Lights - what are they like?

Just been looking at options for the A3 I have on order and was wondering if the adaptive headlights are worth considering, I have already upgraded to the Xenons so is not much of an increase to go for the adaptive ones. Just wondering what people think of them as I have never been in a car with them...

Thanks in advance

2. # ADS
    ADS

S3 (8P)

Status
    I bought my car used and it already had the adaptive light option as specced by the first owner.
    Cant say I feel any great benefit over my last car that didnt have them, so probably wouldnt pay the extra for them if I ever bought new in the future.
    That said, I dont do any night time B road runs as Mitch has mentioned which is when I would imagine you get the most benefit.
    So i guess it really depends on the type of driving you do as to whether you spend that little bit extra.

Cheers
    Paul

5th Gear

Status
    Interesting to hear this as i too was wondering about them. There is a huge difference between Xenons and BiXenons for country lane driving.

It seems a picey option though at an extra 800 on the S3? Is it really worth that?
    AUTOMAP
    Mobile ECU Remapping Services

automap.remapping@gmail.com
    www.eliteremaps.com

1st Gear

Status
    I'm with Mitch on this one. To me they were a have-to-have option.

I live out in the sticks and the adaptive lights are a big help on dark B and C roads. You can really notice the lights extending your vision around corners helping you to pick out the inside and outside edges of the road as well as small deer (scary moment) a bit earlier.

The speed of the lights turning is generally OK. However, they can be caught out by a quick,multiple direction change (i.e. Left, Right, Left on a small roundabout at high speeds). The lights are sometimes still heading right when you are into the second left.
    Last edited by Splathead; 1st November 2008 at 07:43.
    Present - 8V S3 3 Door S3 S-Tronic. Estoril Blue, LED Headlights, Super Sports Seats, Technology Pack, Folding & Dimming Mirrors, Interior Light Pack, Bang & Olufsen, Comfort Pack with Cruise Control & Rear Parking Sensors, Reversible Boot Liner, Tyre Pressure Monitor, Non Smoking Pack, Hold Assist

Past "Highlights" - 2008 S3 (8P2), 2004 Alfa 147GTa, 1999 Fiat Coupe 20v Turbo LE, 1994 Astra GSi 16v

Neutral

Status
    Cheers for reply guys,

I was wondering how quick they were to change if on a very windy road, thanks for that Splathead.

Also I am sure they are less than 300 for the S3, and 800 for fitting on a standard A3. As I have already specced Xenons on my A3 at 550, I could change this for the adaptive lights which includes the Xenons for 835.... Thats how I read it anyway in the brochure!

1st Gear

Status
    Hi
    I have them on my A3 Cabrio & find them amazing especialy as I have never experienced them before. They react very fast & would highly recomend.
    A3 CABRIO S-Line 2.0 TDI DSG
    Liquid Blue-Blue Hood. Celtic Tunning Remap with E Motion -RNSE-Seperate DVD Player-100gb Portable Hard Drive-USB-Phone Prep-Exnon Adaptive Lights-Heated Seats-Lumber Support-Acoustic Parking-Light & Rain Sensors-Interior Light Pack-Storage Pack-Cruise Control-Folding Dipping Mirrors-Interior Auto Dipping Mirror-Bose-Hill Hold-SDS-FBMFSW - Alpine iPod Controller

Neutral

Status
    Nice one, well it does sound a handy extra in all fairness and is worth the extra 285, not sure it would be worth the extra 800+ though if I hadnt already picked the Xenons...